Happy Hamster

K

Kizzy

I have one happy hamster. His cages sits off to the side of one of our computers in our house, and he looks out you and gets on the wheel and goes. He just seems so happy. Now, this is the first hamster I have had in a really long time but I don't remember the one from many years ago being so happy. Now, the real reason for my thread. Is it normal for hamsters to loose patches of hair? He has 2 patches of missing hair on his back, but like I said he is a happy guy.

SxyPrincess

I've had a couple hamsters growing up and none of them lost any hair. :confused: Wish I could offer some advice, but I can't.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
We've had LOTS of small mammals! Hair loss is usually due to parasites (mites, mange, etc.) If it's mites, it usually gets real itchy around the face and neck. But since it on the back, I'm not sure...

Are you using cedar shavings? Some small animals are really sensitive to the cedar oil and it can be irritating. Use pine shavings or that recycled paper fluffy stuff instead.

Hair loss can also sometimes be caused by a vitamin deficiency. Try adding some small animal liquid vitamins in the water bottle. If you don't see an improvement soon, take the hamster to the vet!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jazz, you may be on to something. Don't computers emit a low-level radiation or something?

J

justhangn

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Jazz, you may be on to something. Don't computers emit a low-level radiation or something?

That they do, but it's supposed to be safe. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know, man - the computer makes me want to tear MY hair out. How much can a hamster take?
:lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hamsters moult throughout the summer and autumn and at this time many hamsters may have periods where their coats are sparse or may have areas of fur loss. During times of sudden and extreme temperature changes fur loss resulting in large bald patches can occur. This is usually nothing to be concerned about and fur will usually start to regrow within a few weeks. All species of hamsters moult but the Chinese and Roborovski are generally less affected than the Russian species and the Syrian Hamster.

Nursing females may often develop some fur loss on their stomach and this is usually nothing to be concerned about as the fur will regrow once nursing is complete.

Fur loss can also occur in older hamsters (usually around one year of age or over) and usually occurs on the belly, hindleg and hip area first.

Fur loss can also be a symptom of a skin infection or skin allergy, mites, mange, diet deficiency or thyroid problems.

If fur loss is observed the skin should be checked for any signs of irritation, flakiness, scabs or sores. The hamster should also be observed for excessive scratching or any other signs of illness ie weight loss, lethargy, etc. If the hamster is exhibiting any signs of illness along with fur loss the hamster should be isolated from any others and veterinary advice sought immediately.

General fur loss due to old age or moulting (with no other symptoms) can be helped by crushing a yeast tablet on the hamster's food every other day, lessening the amount once fur has started to regrow. (Yeast tablets can usually be found at a chemist or pharmacy amongst the human vitamin tablets). If yeast tablets are unavailable, vitamin drops (available from pet stores) added to the water will aid fur re-growth.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Ken, you never cease to amaze me!

Originally posted by kwillia
:notworthy Wow! Since you didn't note a source, that must of been retrieved from your auxiliary storage! What can you tell me about sneezing schnauzers? :dance:
Just like humans, canine inhalant allergies are caused by pollens (tree, grass, and weed), dust mites, molds, and chemicals.

Although any pure bred or mutt can acquire inhalant allergies, the most common breeds that are affected include terriers (especially the West Highland white terrier, Skye terrier, Scottish terrier and Boston terrier), golden retrievers, poodles, dalmatians, German shepherds, Chinese Shar-peis, shih tzus, lhasa apsos, pugs, Irish setters, and miniature schnauzers.

The symptoms of an inhalant allergy include scratching, biting, chewing at feet and constant licking. The itching may be most severe on feet, flanks, groin, and armpits. They'll sneeze too.

Inhalant allergies are often the reason for recurrent ear infections in your dog.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Dribbles
who can actually lick their own elbow?

Ah yes, we now play the game of cat and mouse. You say stuff that was posted long before you got here so we all sit around wondering who you used to be.

D

Dribbles

Originally posted by justhangn
Ah yes, we now play the game of cat and mouse. You say stuff that was posted long before you got here so we all sit around wondering who you used to be.

Who hasn't seen that email circulate around a mill. times? maybe I should have said "in an average life time one will eat 14 insects while sleeping."

K

Kizzy

Ken,

Hamsters moult throughout the summer and autumn and at this time many hamsters may have periods where their coats are sparse or may have areas of fur loss. During times of sudden and extreme temperature changes fur loss resulting in large bald patches can occur. This is usually nothing to be concerned about and fur will usually start to regrow within a few weeks.

I think this is what it is. I hate to be this way but I am not taking a $6.00 hamster to the vet. He has about 2 small patches of hair loss that seem to be equal on each side. My son thought they were spots, but I don't think hamsters have spots? At least I'd never seen one, but I am not a hamster expert either. He (they only sell males at petsmart now) isn't digging or scratching so it may just be normal fur loss.

In the meantime, he has to stay next to the computer. The dog has gotten him out of his cage and sent him running for dear life. The last time the dog got him out of the cage he sat on the floor and licked the hamster everywhere. :barf: The hamster stayed up for days cleaning himself. It is the only safe place in the house the dog cannot get to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
The last time the dog got him out of the cage he sat on the floor and licked the hamster everywhere.
That is one lucky hamster, they usually end up as doggie snacks.