Whacky Dr. Patch Adams hits Sri Lanka

"Is that man looking for the psychiatric ward?" asked a bemused doctor as she watched him lope past her in the direction of the childrens' wards, hospital security guards in hot pursuit.

The man in the clown suit was Dr. Hunter 'Patch' Adams, the American doctor who inspired a Robin Williams movie and has been traveling the world hoping to change it with love and laughter.

"I decided to come to Sri Lanka as I have a great feeling of tragedy and desire to encourage people to rebuild after the tsunami," the West Virginia physician told Reuters in the battered southern coastal town of Karapitiya late Tuesday. "Laughter is the best medicine you know." he said.

Patch Adams, whose light-hearted approach to medicine was featured in the 1998 blockbuster of the same name, thinks the tsunami has changed the world for the better.

"Do we bless the tsunami as it has for a moment made people forget their greed for power and think (of) humanity?" asked the doctor who is known for his unorthodox approach of mixing humor with healing and making the sick laugh.

Over the years, Adams and his crew of clowns have traveled to refugee camps and cities in the Balkans, Africa, Afghanistan and Cambodia among others. The Karapitiya hospital handled over 1,200 bodies in the aftermath of the tsunami that killed around 40,000 people along the Indian Ocean island's southern, eastern and northern shores.

Patch Adams's team of 30 clowns wanted to help hospital staff and patients erase images of the dead from their minds and "bring some joy back in to their lives."

One clown raced down a dimly-lit hospital ward on a unicycle, juggling oranges, another dressed like a macaw sprayed the wards with soap bubbles while a group of three clowns staged an impromptu puppet show for child cancer patients.

"I am missing school but it is not bothering me in the least," said 17-year old Sarah Collins, a high school student from the United States and one of 11 volunteers in Adams's team of clowns.

Adams, 59, and his clowns later visited displaced living in tents near the place where the tsunami swept a train from its tracks, killing over 1,000 people, and played with children.

"When the power of nature destroys, there is no one to blame. You have got to collect the pieces and move on your own, but the world did not forget these people," said Adams. "Giving and receiving love has become the world's currency after the tsunami," he said.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I've read Patch's book "Gesundheit!" He comes across as earnest if hopelessly idealistic. He runs a medical institute in West Virginia--apparently the buildings look as wacky as his costumes.

Get up off the bucks and rent the movie, Tonio... it's worth it. Oh yeah, be sure to pick up West Side Story while you are at it...:yay:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
I was fortunate enough to attend one of Patch's talks a few years back. He's got incredible intentions---but somehow I don't think all of his hopes will be realized. He also has a penchant for pizzing people off....that rarely helps one's cause.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
kwillia said:
Get up off the bucks and rent the movie, Tonio... it's worth it. Oh yeah, be sure to pick up West Side Story while you are at it...:yay:
I saw the Patch Adams movie years ago, before I read the book.

I never saw "West Side Story" because I didn't grow up with a taste for musicals. I didn't see "Sound of Music" until I was in my 30s. Same thing with many of the early Disney movies. Most of the movies I saw growing up were comedies like the Marx Brothers.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Tonio said:
I saw the Patch Adams movie years ago, before I read the book.

I never saw "West Side Story" because I didn't grow up with a taste for musicals. I didn't see "Sound of Music" until I was in my 30s. Same thing with many of the early Disney movies. Most of the movies I saw growing up were comedies like the Marx Brothers.

I haven't seen The Sound of Music, but I love Fiddler on the Roof.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Club'nBabySeals said:
I was fortunate enough to attend one of Patch's talks a few years back. He's got incredible intentions---but somehow I don't think all of his hopes will be realized. He also has a penchant for pizzing people off....that rarely helps one's cause.
He used to visit an institute in Howard County for acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine. Is that where you saw him?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
elaine said:
I haven't seen The Sound of Music, but I love Fiddler on the Roof.

I wouldn't watch the Sound of Music twice, but will stop and watch EVERY time Fiddler's on cable.