Stats show no rise in sales or crime since end of gun ban

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050424/NEWS/504240378/1

Stats show no rise in sales or crime since end of gun ban
April 24, 2005
By DEBORAH SONTAG The New York Times

Despite dire predictions that the streets would be awash in military-style guns, the expiration of the decade-long assault weapons ban last September has not set off a sustained surge in the weapons' sales, gun makers and sellers say. It also has not caused any noticeable increase in gun crime in the past seven months, according to several metropolitan police departments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
First I'm neither for nor against the ban that was in place. I don't see how laws will prevent someone who breaks the law from obtaining weaponry. My question is why would anyone really need an assault rifle?

Spoiled

Bustem' Down said:
First I'm neither for nor against the ban that was in place. I don't see how laws will prevent someone who breaks the law from obtaining weaponry. My question is why would anyone really need an assault rifle?
... if they decide the government has messed up they can start a revolution ... or so one could argue

:loser:s

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Spoiled said:
... if they decide the government has messed up they can start a revolution ... or so one could argue

The government always messes up, that's part of it's job description. :lmao:

But really, There would have to be a complete breakdown of our society as we know it for there to be any kind of "revolution".

BuddyLee

Football addict
Spoiled said:

I think this was probably fine back in the days of musketry but nowadays you must think more practically. The people v. The Government or machine guns v. nuclear weapons.

Spoiled

Bustem' Down said:
The government always messes up, that's part of it's job description. :lmao:

But really, There would have to be a complete breakdown of our society as we know it for there to be any kind of "revolution".
Some could argue for protection or hunting, but I dont think I need an assault riffle to mow down deer or a single robber...

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Spoiled said:
Some could argue for protection or hunting, but I dont think I need an assault riffle to mow down deer or a single robber...
If you do, you don't need to be owning any guns!

Vince

You don't have to hunt or need personal protection to own a gun. Could be a hobby and your only interest could be target shooting or competition shooting.

ylexot

Super Genius
Sharon said:
Whatever the gun grabbers are after this week.

"That one looks scary, let's ban it."
That's the point I was going to make, but I guess Spoiled and Bustem' didn't fall for my trap. (they must be getting a little smarter)

It's pretty obvious from Spoiled's remark ("I dont think I need an assault riffle to mow down deer or a single robber") that he thinks an "assault rifle" is an automatic rifle. However, automatic rifles have been and still are highly restricted. "Assault rifles" as they were defined in the AWB were semi-auto rifles with scary features like a carrying handle, floding stock, or a bayonet lug (oooo, scary). The AWB sounds good to the ignorant, but anybody that knows anything about guns knows that it was some of the worst legislation ever.

Vince

When will stupid people get it through their heads that it's not the gun that kills. A car is a weapon too. Are we going to take everyone's cars away? Or maybe just those that own a certain model?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Vince said:
When will stupid people get it through their heads that it's not the gun that kills. A car is a weapon too. Are we going to take everyone's cars away? Or maybe just those that own a certain model?

Hush Vince, I really want that 500hp Dodge Viper.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
It's not that I didn't have any intention of answering you, I just work nights so I sleep all day.

I know the difference, I am in the military after all. I also know how easy it is to turn those semi-auto weapons into full auto. I personally couldn't do it, but I got many gun freaks that could show me at no charge. Anyways, like I said, I'm neither for or against a ban. Laws won't stop lawbreakers. Just because we made a law that says you can't stab a cop, doesn't mean no one will. I was just wondering why people are so vehemently opposed to this law? I couldn't care less.

Cletus_Vandam

"Guns kill people"

True assault weapons are automatics (the firing of more than one round with a single pull of the trigger). There are laws that permit the ownership of a weapon with this style of fire, but they are highly regulated by the Federal Government as Class III weapons.

The reason why the assault ban didn't work was because it was ridiculous to begin with. In short, the law banned rifles that had detachable magazines and two or more of the following characteristics: a folding or telescoping stock, a pistol grip that extended below the stock, bayonet mount, a flash suppressor (or threads to attach one), and lastly a grenade launcher.

As you can see, none of the above characteristics increased the weapon’s firing range, rate of fire, accuracy, etc. Basically, all any of them did were change the cosmetic appearance of the weapon. Like the earlier post said... If it looks scary, it must be bad.

It’s not the weapons that are killing people, it the criminals holding using the weapons. The sooner the gun-grabbing politicians recognize that fact, the better off America and our rights will be….

Spoiled

Cletus_Vandam said:
It’s not the weapons that are killing people, it the criminals holding using the weapons. The sooner the gun-grabbing politicians recognize that fact, the better off America and our rights will be….
You are right, give some gangs fully automatic weapons and tell me gang wars wont be more bloody... Im not arguing that its the people who do it, but the guns do control the effiency

its not as easy to spray with a semi auto as it is with an auto

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Spoiled said:
You are right, give some gangs fully automatic weapons and tell me gang wars wont be more bloody... Im not arguing that its the people who do it, but the guns do control the effiency

its not as easy to spray with a semi auto as it is with an auto
Yeah, but laws won't stop criminals. They just stop people who obey the law.