Can't Escape Guilt

Hello6

Princess of Mean
My Princess Boutros Boutros Dolly was attempting to bury and hide her rawhide rollup outside this afternoon. She'd dug shallow holes for it, but wasn't satisfied with one location and proceeded to put it behind the air conditioning unit, when what to her wondering eyes and nose appeared? A small Grackle, too young to be out of the nest! I watched Dolly spazz out about it for a while, and hauled her and her treat into the house, wondering what I should do for the little thing.
The nest is inside the dryer vent, can't see it but I can hear the little buggers. There are 2 vents on the side of the house, and I have no idea what one has the nest.
Do I pick it up and put it back in the nest? I thought the Momma birdie wouldn't appreciate the human smell of my paws on her baby. What if I chose the wrong vent with no nest in it?
Do I leave it there to die a horrible slow death of starving or freezing to death when the temps drop to the 50s tonight?
Do I stomp his little head to quickly relieve him of his impending suffering?
Do I let a cat, who would enjoy the sport, out to eat him?
Decisions Decisions......
I decide to pick the little thing up and put it back in my dryer vent, and hope for the best.
He hopped back into the darkness and I waited at the door for the Moms to arrive.
Sure enough, a Mom with a BIG worm hops on the fence and flies into the other vent. Crap.
Then another Mom shows up and flew out of MY vent. YAY
Then another Mom shows up and hops around, looking for the baby on the ground to feed. Crap.
Just can't please everybody, but at least he's back with the others, and not about to be eaten alive by ants or somthing awful like that.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You can put baby birdies back in the nest or wherever...it's an old wives tale about the human smell and the mommy birdie not coming back. :yay:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
But I feel bad for the Momma who was looking around for the little one on the ground. I know she'll give up in a minute, but just the way she was looking around for it.
"I know I left it here somewhere" hop hop flutter"WHERE did that little effer go?"

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Hello6 said:
But I feel bad for the Momma who was looking around for the little one on the ground. I know she'll give up in a minute, but just the way she was looking around for it.
"I know I left it here somewhere" hop hop flutter"WHERE did that little effer go?"
LOL
:huggy: You did a good deed!!

now what happens when you do laundry this weekend and use the dryer?
:shrug:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I worried about that the first year they built a nest, but it just doesn't get hot enough that far down the pipe to do any damage to them. I've been drying the laundry all throughout their little lives and no stinky smells of rotting baby bird corpses.

Timely news article on WTOP...

Springtime Baby Bird Blues

It's the kind of thing that tugs at your heart strings. You come upon a baby bird on the street and don't know what to do.

WTOP intern Patricia Xavier struggled with this dilemma Thursday when she came across a baby bird in a local parking lot.

After several hours on the phone, Xavier reached Dawn Davis from the Wildlife Rescue League, one of the few organizations that will take this type of stray animal.

Davis says if you decide to take in an animal like this, keep it warm and feed it wet cat food.

You can look here for more information.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
appyday said:
:yeahthat:

I thought you were going to say she found the hole from the dog YOU dug up the other day. :barf:

Nope, refilled that hole nicely. Izzy now resides in an honored spot on the entertainment center by his picture in a lovely urn, silver to match his coat. :bawl:

They never would pee or poop on his grave before, now it's fair game. :yay:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
appyday said:
I groomed a Basset hound and when she passed (RIP) best old dog..the owner put her ashes on a desk put her collar around the picture..put the flowers I sent her there and it was just too sad to look at.. :bawl:

Sometimes its really hard to say goodbye . I can relate.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
appyday said:
I groomed a Basset hound and when she passed (RIP) best old dog..the owner put her ashes on a desk put her collar around the picture..put the flowers I sent her there and it was just too sad to look at.. :bawl:

Izzy's collar hangs from the rear view mirror in my truck. The little brass tag catches the sun every now and then. He used to do a little victory lap around the truck before getting in, and his last trip (unbeknownst to me) he still managed a wag when he was placed in the back seat. :stillmissinghim: