5 Old Testament Models on how to live

StoneThrower

Did you read it?

Yes skimmed it, but the premise is models how to live in the old covenant, and were in the new, so unless its reaffirmed in the New Testament and has a broader application, it doesn’t apply to us as it was written to Israel (that audience) at that time and doesn’t apply to us. They were a Theocracy, were not, they were a covenant people under the Abrahamic covenant, were not, so that leaves me asking why you posted it and what you wanted us to see?

StoneThrower

He obviously didn't. :dance:

It provided some food for thought about how we can improve ourselves based on different role models in the bible.

Thank you for sharing.

Your right I didnt read it that closely, I just want back and looked at it again (read it word for word)

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Your right I didnt read it that closely, I just want back and looked at it again (read it word for word)

ST - I think onel posted this simply because of two references to "catholic" in example #2, 2nd para, and that the writer was a non-catholic that switched to catholicism. If those words had not been included, I doubt if this would have been posted.

I've got no problem with the five examples that were touched upon. The problems of doctrine until the mid-300's AD was not largely challenged without fear of execution, until 1517.

Then, church doctrine was confronted and publicly exposed by Luther in the 95 Thesis in 1517, from which the "Catholic" church is still reeling.

That is documented history, right?

The Bible stands on itself. The Bible is the best commentary on the Bible. What it says - not what man says.

Amen?

onel0126

Bead mumbler
ST - I think onel posted this simply because of two references to "catholic" in example #2, 2nd para, and that the writer was a non-catholic that switched to catholicism. If those words had not been included, I doubt if this would have been posted. I've got no problem with the five examples that were touched upon. The problems of doctrine until the mid-300's AD was not largely challenged without fear of execution, until 1517. Then, church doctrine was confronted and publicly exposed by Luther in the 95 Thesis in 1517, from which the "Catholic" church is still reeling. That is documented history, right? The Bible stands on itself. The Bible is the best commentary on the Bible. What it says - not what man says. Amen?

I posted it because I found it relevant (still), not because it was posted by a Catholic blogger.

Reeling? Laughable. Why aren't you Lutheren? I've asked you that question before. Truly, why the need for the tens of thousands of Protestant denoms if Luther got it all right?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I posted it because I found it relevant (still), not because it was posted by a Catholic blogger.

Reeling? Laughable. Why aren't you Lutheren? I've asked you that question before. Truly, why the need for the tens of thousands of Protestant denoms if Luther got it all right?

You would have never posted that unless it was from a catholic forum. Ever. Hopefully, you will look outside catholic web sites in the future.

You'll never get it. I go by Christian, along with tens of millions of others. Non denominational. Spell check would would help your cause.

Luther and basic concepts of what the Scriptures mean do not require a "denominational name". We believe on a status of salvation that differs from your catholic church. We can disagree on other issues, but salvation is the key. That is the difference between catholicism and we who disagree with it.

Luther simply broke the Bible open, away from catholic control, for the general public to read, comprehend, and question. Now that almost everybody can read and comprehend, without being told what to believe, catholicism is simply under fire, and has been for nearly 500 years.

That's your issue.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
You would have never posted that unless it was from a catholic forum. Ever. Hopefully, you will look outside catholic web sites in the future. You'll never get it. I go by Christian, along with tens of millions of others. Non denominational. Spell check would would help your cause. Luther and basic concepts of what the Scriptures mean do not require a "denominational name". We believe on a status of salvation that differs from your catholic church. We can disagree on other issues, but salvation is the key. That is the difference between catholicism and we who disagree with it. Luther simply broke the Bible open, away from catholic control, for the general public to read, comprehend, and question. Now that almost everybody can read and comprehend, without being told what to believe, catholicism is simply under fire, and has been for nearly 500 years. That's your issue.
Nope sorry. But fine, I'll ignore all of the MANY MANY differences between non-Catholic Christians. Let's take your example of salvation. If you are trying to convince me that "Christians" to use your term, that adhere to Calvin's TULIP doctrine are in agreement with those that don't as far as salvation is concerned you are being disingenuous.

To further my point read this. Yes it is from a Catholic blog.

http://catholicstand.com/protestantism-subjective-catholicism-objective/

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Nope sorry. But fine, I'll ignore all of the MANY MANY differences between non-Catholic Christians. Let's take your example of salvation. If you are trying to convince me that "Christians" to use your term, that adhere to Calvin's TULIP doctrine are in agreement with those that don't as far as salvation is concerned you are being disingenuous.

Nice. But bogus.

TOTAL DEPRAVITY OR INABILITy

UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION LIMITED ATONEMENT

LIMITED ATONEMENT

IRRESISTIBLE (SUFFICIENT) GRACE

PPERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS(Eternal Security)

Yes. Man is complete depraved. Man is elected before time began simply because God knew in advance who would and would not accept Him. Atonement (salvation) will be for those that willfully CHOOSE Him. Once saved cannot lose salvation. Eternal security for those that chose God. Forever. Cannot lose it.

Simply because that is what the Bible teaches.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So, I guess none of you got anything from that article other than name calling, stone throwing (giggle) and intrawebs bitch slapping. :shrug: Wow.

Nice bunch of Christians you all are. :sarcasm:

It's always such a positive and refreshing experience to see how uncharitable, unkind and unlike Jesus some of his followers are.

:clap: Good on you, for being such a great example of Christianity at work.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
So, I guess none of you got anything from that article other than name calling, stone throwing (giggle) and intrawebs bitch slapping. :shrug: Wow. Nice bunch of Christians you all are. :sarcasm: It's always such a positive and refreshing experience to see how uncharitable, unkind and unlike Jesus some of his followers are. :clap: Good on you, for being such a great example of Christianity at work.
I'll address this since I posted the link. After posting I got grief from stone thrower (a protestant) asking me essentially what bearing this has since it is from the Old Testament as if things from the OT are somehow irrelevant. Then I get grief from b23 (a Protestant) because it was from a Catholic blogger. See a pattern yet?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'll address this since I posted the link. After posting I got grief from stone thrower (a protestant) asking me essentially what bearing this has since it is from the Old Testament as if things from the OT are somehow irrelevant. Then I get grief from b23 (a Protestant) because it was from a Catholic blogger. See a pattern yet?

1) Why does it matter who wrote it? It doesn't. I'm not Catholic and I got something out of it. :shrug: Somebody was inspired to write that. Somebody was inspired to share it. Learn from it. Grow.

2) How does the other posters behavior, which is IMHO a very poor reflection on an individual who claims to follow Christ, justify you following that same pattern of behavior? :eyebrow:

Seriously, the branch of Christian religion should not be the issue. After all, isn't this all about G-d? Petty squabbles and childish spats do not display the attributes of someone who is trying to emulate Christ. Isn't that about love for one another? Isn't that about hope? Isn't that about charity? Did Jesus turn away the Gentiles, bad mouth their religion and act childish? Did Jesus walk away from the lepers when everyone else did?

If someone was to be new to Christianity, or just wondering about it, and popped into these forums and read the religious threads, all they would see is bickering, nit-picking, arguing and temper tantrums. Does that demonstrate how a true Christian is supposed to act?

I tend to stay out of the religious forum for that very reason. But I just can't stand it anymore, so I'm speaking up. I find it absolutely disgusting that every time something of interest is posted it turns into a petty squabble over whose G-d is the right G-d. You are all supposedly Christians. Act like it. Turn your heart to G-d, open up and receive His message. Actually listen to one another and learn from one another and grow in your faith.

Isaiah 12:2
King James Version (KJV)

Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

If that verse isn't true for you, then why bother even pretending you believe in G-d?

John 13:34-35
New King James Version (NKJV)

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

So if you can't do that, regardless of what branch of Christianity you are, then your heart is closed to G-d. CLOSED. You need to open your heart. You need to trust in G-d. You shouldn't be holding on to all this bitterness, resentment and anger. It spews forth from all these threads, and it's just disgusting and shameful.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

You got no grief from ST that I could see - simply a question on why you posted the article, a question that I have asked you in the past. I don't respond to any of your threads anymore until you comment on it, which I have asked you to do simply to get your thought on your OP. You just throw it out there, IMO, waiting for someone to disagree with or question it, which will always, you hope, be a non-catholic.

You did not get any grief from me. I agreed with all five examples. I simply stated, and believed, that I doubt you would have posted the article without reference to the catholic god, the catholic church. I guess grief is in the eye of the reader.

Then you threw in TULIP, and why aren't I a Lutheran............

The name calling started and ended with you, onel.

Last edited:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I don't respond to any of your threads anymore until you comment on it, which I have asked you to do simply to get your thought on your OP.

I could care less if you respond or not. Are you a moderator? Am I required to comment on a link I post? The answer to both is no.