5-Second Delay

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Alright, so Junior's use of the word #### on national television last Sunday forces the use of a 5-second delay for races ... Prerace coverage is making a big stink outta this and is alll sorts of apologetic.

Why are they sooooo sorry the event isn't "live". :confused: I bank on there being a couple seconds delay anyway simply because even with the advanced technology we have today, I'm betting it takes about a second or two for it to go up to a satellite, back down to earth, through all those little wires all over the country that are under ground, up the side of my house, and into my home and onto the tv, before which I sit with a beer and pizza, too buzzed to notice the difference anyway. :crazy:

Can someone help me understand why 5 seconds are such a big deal? I can't be in two places at once, so how will I know there's even a delay? :shrug:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Yeah, it's a bunch of crap...they just don't want to have to follow the rules. I was (naively) under the impression that since Janet's booby incident, pretty much all live TV had the delay (I know a lot of radio does). If anything they need to put a delay on football, or stop showing the coaches cursing everyone out. :lol:

crabcake

And, cheesy as it might sound ... I always get choked up when the National Anthem is sung and the jets fly over at races (whether I'm there or watching it). I can't help but think "Thank God for our men and women who keep our country free so that not only is someone free to sing that song, but I'm free to sit on my couch on Sundays with a beer and enjoy it! :patriot: :cheers:

And when I think about that, I thank God Bush is our president ... because I'd hate to see what our troops would look like sitting on a sand dune somewhere shooting spitballs at Al Qaida. :ohwell:

crabcake

Nickel said:
Yeah, it's a bunch of crap...they just don't want to have to follow the rules. I was (naively) under the impression that since Janet's booby incident, pretty much all live TV had the delay (I know a lot of radio does). If anything they need to put a delay on football, or stop showing the coaches cursing everyone out. :lol:

I thought the same thing. :confused: And add baseball to that, cuz I don't really wanna see some dude jockin' his junk at the plate. :ohwell:

crabcake

And another thing ... they don't need to delay the ENTIRE race 5 seconds ... just the driver interviews (since that's what they're concerned with, it seems). :shrug: