MD became a more dangerous place thanks to the dems

TerpsFan3631

First of all, let me say that I am a registered democrat, but that will probably soon change, as I have found myself to be more in line with the Republican party on many issues of late. How many of you know that as of the year 2000, Maryland was the 3rd most violent state (per capita) amongst the 50 states? In 2000, Maryland ranked 3rd in Murders per capita, and 1st in Robberies per capita (All statistics were obtained from the F.B.I. Uniform Crime Report). Gee Spendenning, I thought gun control laws were supposed to cut down on violent crime?? Guess not huh? And with the wonderful, liberal county that we call Prince Georges County only getting worse every year, I'm sure Maryland may have the dubious distinction of being ranked the MOST violent state in America per capita in the year 2002. I know that P.G.'s crime stats were way up the first six months of this year. Maybe if Maryland's liberal judicial system would start putting criminals where they belong and keeping them there, we would'nt have the problem with violent crime that we have in this state. Maybe now that Ehlich is our governor, we can get some more conservative judges appointed and start taking a tougher stance on crime.

rraley

I do not think that the reason for Maryland"s violence is Democrats or Republicans. I think that the reason for so much violence is having one of the largest metropolitian areas in the nation in the Baltimore-Washington area.

As a side note...gun control does not work. Criminials get their guns legally they get them illegally.

ceo_pte

When you take good moral reminders like "The Ten Commandments" out of every public building things like this start to happen. You know there are two the I think relate directly to this.. Thou shall not steal and Thou shall not Kill....

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I haven't even atempted to get a concealed weapons permit in MD>. was told it was a waste of time and money to try.. shame the criminals don't have to get weapons permits.. COurse if you make guns illegal, then anything that happens with a gun is a non-crime and shouldn't count in the statistics right?

of course if you are going to kill someone that Misdemeanor carryin a weapon charge will change your mind..

TripleJ

The citizens of P.G. County are pro-criminal and anti-police, in fact they elected a County Executive that ran on an anti-police platform. The Police in the county work to the rule and are no longer proactive. Many have left the department in the last year, and the shortage of Police has more calls being put on hold and on some days/nights backed up calls as high as 15-20. The criminals in the County know this, and have turned the County into a modern day Dodge City. This is one of the reasons crime is so high.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by itsbob
I haven't even atempted to get a concealed weapons permit in MD.

This here gives me an interesting idea.

You know how in San Francisco, Mayor Newsom is issuing unlawful and invalid marriage certificates left and right - Maybe O'Malley can start issuing permits to carry concealed in Baltimore.

Besides if you're a criminal - and you go to Baltimore and anyone or everyone may be carrying a concealed gun are you going to try anything stupid like robbery or rape?

I'll bet Baltimore goes from The City that Breeds to The City of Brotherly Love within 48 hours.

Maybe a mayor in SoMD somewhere???

I mean if we're going to pick and choose what laws are worth following, and which ones aren't, then lets have some fun.

rraley

Originally posted by *archimedes*
So by that logic why aren't New York and Los Angeles kicking Maryland's ass? I mean, if more people = more violence, right?
:confused:

New York and Los Angeles are kicking Maryland's ass, but the rural areas of those states are causing the overall "crimes per capita," to which the the originial post referred, to decline. Maryland is an urban state and the rural areas here, in the Eastern Shore, and Western Maryland have such a low percentage of residents compared to the suburbs of Baltimore and Washington and Baltimore itself. That was where I was coming from with my earlier statement.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Originally posted by *archimedes*
I just don't believe that more people = more per capita violence in and of itself. But I'm not inclined to do the research :shrug:

Urban areas have the strictest gun control laws, so more people = more gun control laws = more per capita violence.
Historicly, gun control laws are racist in nature and were instituted to prevent blacks fom possesing firearms. Large urban areas have a larger percentage of blacks so they have the strongest laws.

Hessian

C'mon Maryland...aren't you tired of being 3rd?
Lets get our act together and really show them, now go out there and show them what you are made of!!!!
In the immortal words of the waterboy: You can do it!
We're #1...We're #1...We're #1!

Last edited:

Cletus_Vandam

As I commented before in one of the other threads on gun control... It doesn't work. If you take the guns away from the honest people or make it tougher for the honest people to get guns, all it does is weaken the protection that these individuals require.

Florida is a perfect example of how giving honest citizens the oppertunity to arm and protect themselves WILL reduce violent crimes-period.

Maryland needs to get there heads out of the sand (or their a**) and allow CCW (carry concealed weapon) permits to be issued on a fair basis.

The State Police (and many other police organizations) are fully opposed to allowing CCW for a good reason. The higher crime rates secure their jobs and allows them to request more funding each year. The police are already permitted to legal carry while off-duty in order to protect themselves and their family. That goes to show you who they are really protecting and serving.... If they wanted to protect and serve the masses of the public, why are they lobbying for CCW? If someone wants to carry and protect themselves or their family fine, let them do it legally. If they don't want to carry, let wait for the police to show up-twenty minutes after they've been called. Sorry but that's not what I call protecting and serving.....

I too have not applied for a CCW-I have heard it to be a waste of time and money also. A very good web site is out there is anyone is interested www.packing.org -It talks about the currect laws and restrictions in each state and gives some insight on how tough it is to get a permit in MD.

Has anyone out there tried for a CCW?

soul4sale

Originally posted by ceo_pte
When you take good moral reminders like "The Ten Commandments" out of every public building things like this start to happen. You know there are two the I think relate directly to this.. Thou shall not steal and Thou shall not Kill....

Oh yes, because they were so effective at stopping theft and murder before. Ain't nothin' changed. You just watch it on TV now.

Cletus_Vandam

Religion

It's ironic that religion is being brought into this topic as a means to quill violence. If you look at history, religious beliefs and the vast differences between each, have casued more violence and murder than any other issue....

J

justhangn

Re: Religion

Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam
It's ironic that religion is being brought into this topic as a means to quill violence. If you look at history, religious beliefs and the vast differences between each, have casued more violence and murder than any other issue....

Just like the middle east.

Toxick

Splat
Re: Religion

Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam

What a fresh, original perspective.

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here
Originally posted by soul4sale
Oh yes, because they were so effective at stopping theft and murder before. Ain't nothin' changed. You just watch it on TV now.

Yes, because once you show a killer those 10 commandments, they're going to suddenly realize "You mean killing is BAD? I wasn't supposed to do that?"

I think parents can still teach morals (in fact... it may even be part of their job as a parent?) rather than just relying on their kids to read the 10 commandments in school.

Steve

Enjoying life!
The Ten Commandments won't stop violence. Criminals won't stop perpetrating violence. So why take away anyone else's right to defend themselves?

Ahh, what's the point any more....:mad: