Would never have thought......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hate dogs. Sorry, Sharon, but I do. They're just too unpredictable and can cause too much damage if they get a wild hair.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
While I'm thinking about it, LP, let me give you a :clap: for the job you do. My neighbors are fire/rescue in Montgomery County and they tell me the most horrific stories. I'm sure you see a lot of the same. Anyway, I sure appreciate people like you who are willing to do that sort of thing!
:cheers:

SmallTown

Football season!
Probably just a jealous dog. The baby's diaper had not been changed for a little while so the dog was like "Darnit, if I have to go outside in the cold to do my business, so can you!"

LPMEDIC

Doin the duty for you....
Originally posted by vraiblonde
While I'm thinking about it, LP, let me give you a :clap: for the job you do.

Thank you for the :clap: Let me follow that with a :clap::clap: also for all my fellow Fire/EMS/Police that are out there doing the same thing.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
OMG, that's horrible. I didn't think that breed had that disposition, but I guess it just goes to show that you REALLY never know.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Poor baby

That's terrible. :frown: But you have to wonder about the circumstances. I never used a baby moniter, a physical check on a sleeping infant (to make sure they haven't vomited or smothered themselves) is better than waiting for them to cry. And never leave an unattended child where a dog is, no matter how friendly it is, you just never know.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
WTF! Can we say stupid parents??? I agree with Sharon, young children and dogs should never be left alone together. Plus, I don't know about the rest of you but I have a young child and I never put him in a playpen to sleep PERIOD! That's just not safe. Cribs are made for sleeping, playpens are made for playing.

BTW Lauren, dachshunds can have terrible dispositions. My grandmother has two and both of them are nasty little boogers. They are much stronger then people give them credit for too.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by pixiegirl
BTW Lauren, dachshunds can have terrible dispositions. My grandmother has two and both of them are nasty little boogers. They are much stronger then people give them credit for too.

If my understanding of the breed is correct, they were bred to go down Badger holes to bring out the little beast.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
We had a dachshund while I was growing up. She was definitely not good with small children and was pretty intolerant of a lot of other dogs. Dachshunds are a hunting breed and still have that instinct, regardless of them being kept as a housepet.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Man, that is really something. I hope the child is alright and that the dog didn't do too much lasting damage.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've only been bitten by one dog in my life and (you guessed it) it was a dachsund. My ex-wife has two of them and they're skitty little things.

I'm usually the first one to point a finger at irresponsible parents but I don't think the mother was negligent in this case. I think it's reasonable to let a 6 week old baby nap unattended in a playpen with a monitor. You can't stand over them 24/7 so the monitor seems reasonable. They're not mobile enough to crawl out of the playpen, so that seems reasonable too. The only thing you can really say was stupid was letting the dog be around the child unattended. But people do it all the time - "My dog is really gentle - would never hurt a fly!"

All dogs are wonderful and gentle - until they go crazy and injure someone.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I've only been bitten by one dog in my life and (you guessed it) it was a dachsund. My ex-wife has two of them and they're skitty little things.

I'm usually the first one to point a finger at irresponsible parents but I don't think the mother was negligent in this case. I think it's reasonable to let a 6 week old baby nap unattended in a playpen with a monitor. You can't stand over them 24/7 so the monitor seems reasonable. They're not mobile enough to crawl out of the playpen, so that seems reasonable too. The only thing you can really say was stupid was letting the dog be around the child unattended. But people do it all the time - "My dog is really gentle - would never hurt a fly!"

Well how quiet was that dachshund while it was tearing up the playpen and why didn't Mom hear that on the monitor? Nylon webbing probably gave that dog a workout. I would never leave a dog around an unattended baby, even my very own known to be friendly dog. Some of the noises the child makes could sound like natural prey to the dog resulting in unpredictable acts.

JabbaJawz

Be about it

I have to agree with you on this one. I don't think the behavior of the parent was unreasonable at all. I mean, the baby was napping with a monitor, and it probably didn't take all that long for the dog to chew a hole in the side of the pen (quietly). So, even if the parent was going in to check on the child every 15-20 minutes the dog could have easily gotten into the pen within that timeframe. To me, the door should have been shut enough so that the animal couldn't get into the same room as the child, but that's pretty obvious, ya know.

While I LOVE dogs, not all like me! I was seriously attacked when I was 17 years old by a german shephard mix. It bit through my cheek with it's eye teeth, and tore some pretty bad gashes into my outer thigh. I had to have surgery on my cheek, but today all you can see is 2 tiny marks that are very slightly indented - and you can't see a trace of a scar on my thigh. My friend and I were getting out of my car at her boyfriend's house, and I asked her if the dogs were nice - she said "Oh yeah, they're great"! HAH! No sooner did I get out of the car was the dog ripping at my clothes and pushing me onto the hood of the car. To make matters worse, research proved that the dog hadn't been vaccinated in several years, so I had to go through the whole rabies shot saga. We ended up suing due to the horrible behavior of the owners, who swore up and down the dog had been vaccinated and gave me a dish towel and told me to go on my merry way - wouldn't even let me use the phone to call my mom! She just kept saying "You'll be finnnnnnnneee, now go on home"! The police met me at the hospital, and we filed the report from there. It was something. And then, no sooner than 3 years later, some other small dog at a friendly gathering bit the living crap out of my lip! No luck, hehe!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Ken King
Well how quiet was that dachshund while it was tearing up the playpen and why didn't Mom hear that on the monitor? Nylon webbing probably gave that dog a workout. I would never leave a dog around an unattended baby, even my very own known to be friendly dog. Some of the noises the child makes could sound like natural prey to the dog resulting in unpredictable acts.

True, I do suppose the nylon may have made for a noisy 'break in', but not necessarily either. Maybe it already had a small hole and the dog just finished ripping it - which would have taken much less time. It's hard to tell, really. Or, maybe the mother had the monitor in one room, and walked into another for a few minutes - and in that time the dog chewed off the netting. There are SO many possibilities.

J

justhangn

Then again, being St Marys county and all.....the mother was probably walking down to the end of the driveway with her beer checking to see if her check came early, since it's Christmas and all, and wasn't anywhere near the monitor. :duh:

LPMEDIC

what if, what if

I think you could what if this thing to death if you tried. I didn't go into the room to see what type of playpen it was so i can't say how easy it may have been for the dog to chew through it. I think it's one of those things that would be furthest form your mind to think about happening. I do know I am saying a prayer for that little guy and hope he makes it through this without lasting problems.

LPMEDIC

Originally posted by justhangn
Then again, being St Marys county and all.....the mother was probably walking down to the end of the driveway with her beer checking to see if her check came early, since it's Christmas and all, and wasn't anywhere near the monitor. :duh:

NOT COOL !!!!!! :nono: :nono: :nono: