Branch Ave. Metro Station?

911Carrera

German American Lead Foot
Where is the Branch Ave Metro station in relationship to the Beltway?

I'm going to the Smithsonian this morning with some family members. Thought I would try the Metro for the first time.

Thanks in advance!

911Carrera said:

I'm going to the Smithsonian this morning with some family members. Thought I would try the Metro for the first time.

Thanks in advance!
At the light where you make the left to get on the beltway towards Va, you'd make a right. That road runs straight to the metro station. If you miss that one, Naylord Rd. station is right down the hill, just off Branch Ave., just before Suitland Parkway.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
huntr1 said:
At the light where you make the left to get on the beltway towards Va, you'd make a right. That road runs straight to the metro station. If you miss that one, Naylord Rd. station is right down the hill, just off Branch Ave., just before Suitland Parkway.
:yeahthat: It's Auth Road ... you go down about 3/4 mile, go half way around the round-about then straight and there are parking lots down on the left side.

BUT ... you have to have the plastic metro card to park there now. I'm not sure if they have them at all metro stations now or if you still need to hit Metro Center to get one. :ohwell: Might wanna opt for parking in the metered section so you don't have to screw around with it.

Here's a map from Mapquest. The red star is the metro station.

Attachments

• Branch Ave Metro.jpg
    Branch Ave Metro.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 105

911Carrera

German American Lead Foot
Thanks for all the great info!

Is parking at the Metro stop going to be a problem? Plastic Metro card?

Is there a Metro Station near Route 4 and the Beltway? Would that be a better Metro station to leave from going to the Smithsionian?

Thanks!

crabcake

911Carrera said:
Thanks for all the great info!

Is parking at the Metro stop going to be a problem? Plastic Metro card?

Is there a Metro Station near Route 4 and the Beltway? Would that be a better Metro station to leave from going to the Smithsionian?

Thanks!
I forget what they call the plastic card (smart card or something like that). It's basically something you have to sign up for. I think it was stupid to require that, as so many tourists might use the metro for DC transportation vs. trying to find their way around town via car. But they changed it a year or so ago where you had to have it to park all day at the metro. But I believe they still have a metered parking section. Just pay close attention to the signs when you park.

There is the New Carrollton metro station just off Rt. 50. I'm not sure what the parking situation is like there though, but I imagine it's the same as others.

Only problem you might run into at this time of day is finding a spot to park in, since so many folks use the metro to go to/from work. Then again, not everyone does, so I'm sure as the morning rolls on, someone will have come and gone and they'll be a spot for ya. :yay:

Another option, if you can do it tomorrow instead, would be to catch a Keller bus into town if you're making it an all-day adventure. You can get their bus schedule at www.kellerbus.com.

Branch Ave Metro

911Carrera said:

Thanks in advance!

Previous replay was for the Naylor road station.
Branch Ave Metro is on Auth way. Go North on 5 past beltway and Sheehy Ford on your right. Next right is Auth Way turn right at Wilson Powell and go down approx 1 mile

You can get the Metro card at station, but if you are not going to use Metro alot I would use meterd parking. Card cost $5.00 and then you still have to pay $3.50 for parking. Meters are .25 for 45 min.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
waupaca said:
You can get the Metro card at station, but if you are not going to use Metro alot I would use meterd parking. Card cost $5.00 and then you still have to pay $3.50 for parking. Meters are .25 for 45 min.

Cards are called Smart Trip Cards. They cost $10, but give you $5 back. $5 for cost of the card.
You need a Smart Trip card to get out of the parking. No cash, no paper Metro Cards excepted

crabcake

911Carrera said:
Thanks all for the info!

This is a great site for finding out the best ways to approach something!
Happy to help. You got lucky this morning. We're usually just a bunch of useless smartasses. :biggrin: