Harry Potter...

Hessian

Oh I know what is coming..."How dare you narrow minded conservative attack such an entertaining, innocent movie?"

Ask yourself a few questions...
Who gets rewarded for breaking rules, lying, and situational ethics? Huh?
Who's exploration of spells and witchcraft has sparked a wave of interest in black magic?
Who's imagery and methods mimic the real thing and is void of true right and wrong?

This is one huge deception...witchcraft made playful, funny and amusing. Ask anyone who has sunk so far into it that they can't see daylight:
Ask them how they got started,...
Ask them how much fun and amusement they are having when they feel paranoid, trapped, can't sleep, have nightmares, are dependent on drugs etc.
Parent's...for the love of GOD, don't buy into this image that its innocent fun. I'm not saying your kids will be possessed, I'm saying its opening a door that leads into nihilism, fears, moral relativism, and a lifestyle you DON'T want them to emulate.
Paganism and Wicca has surged in parts of Europe and especially England...Why bring it here? Ask the police what its like to deal with satanic rituals and mutilated animals.
Don't fall for the deception.
Veritas.

Jimmyrich

Hessian,

Are you kidding????? I'm starting to think that maybe you're not actually like this and you start these threads as a joke because that's the most ridiculous string of statements I've seen since....well...you're last post about Gays.

Not ONE PERSON I KNOW has "fallen into drugs, black magic, nihilism," or any of the other terrible ends you seem to think follow reading Harry Potter....And I know MANY MANY people, Adults and Children alike, who have read the book.  It's fantasy; no different from watching Star Wars or Star Trek.  And if some kids are acting it out, and wishing they had some magical powers or lived in that world, what's so wrong with that? It's fantasy. It's like pretending to be your favorite superhero. Or reenacting historical battles. It's an escape into a ficticious world where, yes, they are referred to as wizards and witches or what-not. But they don't embrace disobediance, black magic and SATANISM!!!  It deals with more common themes of adolescent aingst and confusion; loss of one's parents; feelings of carrying a great weight upon your shoulders. And on top of that, it's really well written and enjoyable. Show me someone who has turned to Satanism because of Harry Potter.  I'm not even gonna say anything about the "narrow minded conservative attack such a..." blah blah blah. Because this has to do with your buying in to the ultra-conservative uprising against this book simply because more kids enjoy reading IT than the Bible.  It's a phenomenon and it's for ALL people to enjoy, seperate from racial, political, and religious differences.  Have you even read the book? Or just excerpts from the flier at your local church?

Hessian

Hey Tool,

try this:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=306029&in_review_text_id=250010

The documentation is growing: Children pursuing paganism and the occult thanks to today's media and Harry Potter.
There is nothing "innocent" about it...open your soul and let the dark side in Jimmy,...there is plenty of room and you seem ready to embrace it.

try this quote:
"Christianity simply doesn't fit, and Mr. Norfolk of the Pagan Federation thinks he knows why. The Christian Church has failed to provide "the right degree of spirituality for young people," he explains. In contrast, paganism involves "direct communication with the divine."
Sounds like you paraphrased this pagan...wanna send an application?

Veritas.

(Edited by Hessian at 7:15 pm on Nov. 15, 2001)

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Maybe I read the article wrong. Seems to me, the whole point of appointing a youth officer was to answer questions. They made it clear they don't admit anyone under 18. He goes on to say, that most of the interest is a passing fad.

I *really* think you're reaching on this one. Stories of fantasy have fascinated children for centuries, from Homer, Virgil, Grimm's fairy tales, to stories of Arthur, to the Wizard of Oz, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tolkien - to today's mix of comic books and sci-fi adventures. You are reacting to the introduction of *magic* in a story, as somehow the gateway into satanism and human sacrifice. An awful lot of today's sci-fi is just magic with bad science "explaining" it.

To my observation, it's had one very solidly good effect - kids are *reading*. They are turning off the TV, and picking up a book. I know you have your opinions on the matter, but it seems to me that until recently, kids weren't reading books, because no one wanted to tell them a story they wanted to hear.

When I was a kid, "Superman" was bad, because kids were jumping out windows with bedsheets for capes.  Fantasy and imagination are part of childhood. And how I so wish I had a little of that back, again. Didn't you read Jules Verne and H.G. Wells growing up? Why is all this so terrible to you? Does an evil force lurk between the pages of these books, waiting to seize young minds as its prey?

Jimmyrich

No, Frank, I don't think you read it wrong at all.  Sure there's bound to be some interest drumed up in kids who are looking for answers in their lives and may not be finding them in the Christian church.  But, again, even the HEAD of that organization says that it's most likely a passing fad. They are not trying to recruit or witness or evangelize to anyone. These kids are seeking them out and most of them will NOT find what they are looking for.  The ONLY voice speaking to the "dangers" of Potter-inspired-Paganism is from Youthworks, a Christian magazine. Surprise?
So, Tool, thanks for the article that really doesn't do anything to prove your assertion that kids are truly buying into paganism and being damaged by these books and this movie.
Frank brings up wonderful points about Tolkien, Grimm, Comics and Sci-Fi.  These have been staples of the lives of young children and do nothing but encourage an exploration of their imaginations.  And I find it hard that someone who reenacts war battles, finds fault with exercises in fantasy and imagination...
"Open your soul and let the darkside in, Jimmy"....thanks, Darth, I'll take that into consideration...Your leaps in logic are remarkable to me.  You see children becoming interested in Magic or Paganism or any other life-style that doesn't fit with yours and you assume that it MUST mean that they are engaging in ritual sacrifice and Satanism.  
I can't imagine, other than it's popularity with children, any reason that you think this SPECIFIC book is so dangerous.  A book that appeals to children and adults alike regardless of religious, economic, or racial background---and you think it's dangerous.  Well, I'd write more, but I watched the "Hobbit" last night and I gotta go fill out an application...D.A....

daniel

WOW, Hessien, you wrote some of the most ignorant stuff I have ever laid my eyes upon. You, sir, are an A$$.
The Harry Potter series has gotten more kids to put down their play station 2's and start reading. But I guess I can see why you think that is bad. If kids start to read, they will learn to think for themselves and realize what a rediculous nazi you and your kind are. It will be harder for your conservative, prejudice, anti semitic, anti gay, anti everything good in life views to be embraced by new generations. I am shocked that people that think like you are still around. I guess you are such low life scum that I simply don't see you down there in your white robes and hooded masks. What do you think Harry Potter will do to our society? Will kids start ritual sacrifices in the woods, will they become satanic druggies? Your ignorance is beyong belief.
Before you start a crusade to have the books banned in all schools and librarys, let me just say that extreme right wing christian crusades do nothing but ruin this nation. Prohibition started organized crime, banning drugs lead to kids killing kids in the sreets. For the love of christ I don't think our country can take many more of these "in the name of god" crusades. Stop finding scapegoats and open your eyes. Realize that the problems with our society came from poverty and prejudice. It comes from 200 years of greedy, hate-filled people like yourself stepping on the poor and making money on their lives and dreams. The evils in society are the blind A$$es like yourself, not innocent books that are teaching a generation of kids raised on tv and videos game, the joy of reading.    

andwhat

God Bless you ORZO.
I couldn't agree more.
Ignorance and the internet are a dangerous mix, thank you Hessian for proving my point.

Jimmyrich

Wow...I'm finally not outnumbered by conservatives in a thread!

Daniel, harsh, but effective...It'll be interesting to see how Hessain responds to your pretty clear distates for his opinions...

And "andwhat" I agree about the internet comment. Every one of Hessians posts seems to be in "sermon" format attempting these grand declarations and stunning closers; Using these posts almost to push the conservative agenda. Instead of reacting, he seems to be agressing on subjects like Gays, and Immorality in Potter etc...And that is some of the point of these threads, but every post seems more accusing and prematurely defensive.  They are all these sweeping, uninformed, generalized arguements. Yet, when you start to cut to the heart of the issue, he decrees you a "wayward soul" and shows pity or spite.  Interesting to see someone else come in here and give the same to him...

Christy

b*tch rocket
Hey now Jimmy!  I'm a conservative!!!!

The Harry Potter books are just incredible.  I've read every single one of them.  I've got them in hardback and on audio tape.  There is nothing evil or satanic about Harry Potter.  If anyone is going to start pointing fingers at the Harry Potter books, someone ought to start pointing fingers at the "Narnia Series", more specifically, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis (who's a renowned Christian writer).  It's the same exact types of books.  Children's fantasy.

I've been sent the ridiculous "testimonials" about "Harry Potter has made me see that Jesus is stupid and Satan rules".  These supposed testimonials are so poorly written and so far fetched they are easily disproven.  People just gotta find Satan in everything.  Oh well, at least the flack is now off the purple teletubby!

Jimmyrich

Sorry Christie :)  I meant Religious Fundamentalist Ultra-Conservative, members of the Christian Right....not just "conservatives".

It's also very refreshing to hear a conservative point out how ridiculous this labeling is...Good to see another Potter fan buck up for the poor Scar-headed young lad...I, for one, can't WAIT to see this movie!!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Oops, must make a clarification, C.S. Lewis WAS a renowned Christian writer.  He's not alive anymore, so "who is" isn't the appropriate terminology.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
And I'm a conservative too. You know, we're not all the same. I honestly think that when people express a dislike for conservatives, it's really the extreme right and the religious types they are really against. They're just a small but vocal part.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Jimmy, The Harry Potter books are some of the best written books I've read in a long time.  I have yet to figure out a single ending to any of them ahead of time.

My co-workers used to make fun of me like crazy for reading them, but I got them all hooked.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm back!  Miss me?

I have to say, Hessian, that I was watching Hannity and Colmes the other night and they had some chick on there who was raising a stink because she's an atheist and was offended because they sang "God Bless America" at her son's school.  Sometimes you remind me of that lady, but in reverse.  As in casting about for things to be offended by.

When I was a kid we used to pretend to be Samantha and have magic powers but, to my knowledge, none of us grew up to be Satanists.

But keep up the good work - I still admire your tenacity and willingness to say what's on your mind, even if you catch heat for it.

And Christy, you were right - Hannity is all that!

PmoneyandTT

Im not going to agree with anyone.. My children will not go and see Harry Potter - or read the books.  We don't call the fortune teller on TV either.. Its just another form of Voodoo - Witch craft - black magic - sorcery

Jimmyrich

PmoneyandTT,

The fortune teller on TV???  Miss Cleo???  That's not voodoo; that's some media company both preying on the confusion of the ignorant masses AND offering nothing more than a midly entertaining way to spend $3.75 per minute or whatever, for some.  It's funny that you would refer to Miss Cleo's "abilities" as Sorcery....sort of gives her a bit too much credit in my mind.  

PmoneyandTT

Im not referring to her personally.  I just said - tv fortune tellers.. Whether they can read fortunes - I really don't know - and frankly I really don't care.. I was using all as an example..

daniel

Well i must agree with JimmyRich, refering to Mrs. Cleo or any of those fortune tellers as sorcery is giving them way too much credit.

As for whichcraft, sorcery and voodoo, I think history has given such practices a bad name. I mean who was worse the old town "hag" who harmed no one, or the so called christians who burned her at the stake? I am gonna say the murderers on this one.

PmoneyandTT

2nd graders

I wasn't referring to Ms. Cleo - I didn't even say her name.. There are more then just her anyway...

Great - you like witchcraft.. Everything has opposites..
Good-Bad
Pretty - Ugly
Smart - stupid
Faith - Witchcraft
Fat - skinny

Get the picture?

Jimmyrich

Not really, do you?

Yout don't seem to be following. First of all, even after you clarified that it was "NOT Ms. Cleo" in your post, Daniel  I think clarified my arguement saying "Ms. Cleo OR ANY OF THOSE FORTUNE TELLERS"...then you proceed with your wit-laiden "Second Graders" comment and say again how you aren't referring to Ms. Cleo.   The point STILL stands no matter who you are talking about.  What harm are such things doing honestly, other than SOME people (SOME) becoming interested in lifestyles alternative to your own. As Daniel said, who were the more evil, the falsely accused "witches" of Salem, or those that burned and drowned them?
And your comment about liking witchcraft? Who said that? Because I read a book or call a hotline (which I haven't, by the way. But NOT because she's "magic") then I must "like witchcraft".   You, like Hessian, are entering yourself in the Olympic Triple-Jump of Logic where you just jump right to your desired conclusion without basing it on anything or offering any substantiated evidence proving, or even supporting, your arguement.  
And Faith and Witchraft opposites? I mean, I'm just a second grader, but I'm sure that if you look those up, you will find the terms not to be opposites.  True "witches", those of the Wiccan Religion, have "faith" that what they believe is correct.  There is no inherrint darkness involved either.  And because someone doesn't believe in your God, that makes them a witch, since they are opposites?  No...of course it doesn't that would be silly...get the picture?