Cindy Sheehan

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
vraiblonde said:
This woman is a psycho.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/07/mom.protest/

She's supposed to be arrested today if she doesn't get her ass away from Bush's ranch. Another attention-whore who thinks of nothing except getting her face in the newspapers. Next thing you know, she'll release a statement that she's got lung cancer. :rolleyes:
Okay, well, I hate to disagree, but she did lose her son. My son is Marine Reserve (has not been called up, but I freak every time we get a certified letter I have to sign for from the USMC), but I do understand this mom's frustration, anger and hurt. If I had lost my son in this "war," I probably would be sitting right next to her.........

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BS Gal said:
If I had lost my son in this "war," I probably would be sitting right next to her.........
Where would you be sitting if your son died in a car accident or some other routine incident that claims significantly more American lives per month than this war has claimed since the beginning?

I'm not making light of your situation - my son and daughter-in-law just came back from a year in Baghdad. But let's put it into perspective.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
vraiblonde said:
Where would you be sitting if your son died in a car accident or some other routine incident that claims significantly more American lives per month than this war has claimed since the beginning?

QUOTE]
If my son died in a car accident and it was his fault, I'd be putting flowers on his grave. If he died in an accident and someone else was at fault, say a drunk driver, I'd probably be sitting in court, making sure the person did their time for killing my son. If it was an innocent mistake, I'd try to forgive the other driver. I'm sure that person would feel horrible the rest of their life for the mistake; however, Bush did not put my son in that car. Bush does not seem to care how many die or be sympathetic to the families. Where are the weapons of mass destruction????

mAlice

professional daydreamer
however, Bush did not put my son in that car. Bush does not seem to care how many die or be sympathetic to the families. Where are the weapons of mass destruction????

Did Bush hold a gun to your son's head and make him sign on the dotted line? Don't blame Bush (or anyone else) for your sons decision to defend his country. You should be ashamed of yourself.

SamSpade

Is there some kind of switch that goes off in people's brains, when it comes to this war?

1. It wasn't completely about WMD's. The IWR makes that abundantly clear. If anything, the weapons PROGRAMS posed as great or greater threat.

2. We're at WAR. War. Ok? In war, men die. That's why it's to be avoided if possible. To go to war, and be engaged in a war means that there WILL be deaths, but that the resolution will be worth the price paid. Before the saber-rattling and the marching and the shooting, is the decision as to whether it's worth it. THEN, you commit to battle and keep fighting until it's been completed. To LEAVE the war before the objective is achieved is to spit on the graves of the lives casually at the start of the war. It's one thing to start a DIET and later decide "I guess I can't do this". You CANNOT do this with a war; giving up early means you are willing to waste lives for no reason at all. You might as well just shoot the soldiers in boot camp, because you wasted their lives.

3. It's the military and they are soldiers. Their job is NOT to maintain equipment, learn a trade or career, stand guard somewhere - their job is to fight the enemy to the death. They're paid to kill and the consequence is sometimes, they ARE killed. You can no more sign up to be a soldier and expect a life free from the perils of war than you can sign up to be a fireman and think, as in the movie "Pleasantville", your sole job is to rescue cats from trees, and be relieved from the dangers of firefighting.

It's a dangerous job, and everyone who signs up KNOWS this.
What did you THINK that paycheck was for, shining your shoes and looking spiffy in a uniform?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
BS Gal said:
Where are the weapons of mass destruction????

:rolleyes: Yet another who has totally missed the point. You would think that 4 years after 9/11 people would get it.

:deepdisappointedsigh:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
elaine said:
Did Bush hold a gun to your son's head and make him sign on the dotted line? Don't blame Bush (or anyone else) for your sons decision to defend his country. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Okay. I give up. Bush didn't hold a gun to my son's head to sign up. His own decision. He graduated the week after the 9/11 incident. I knew on 9/11 that we would be going to war and it scared me to death. I guess my point is that I sympathize with anyone who has lost a child. The woman may not be right in the head, but one of the reasons that our men are fighting is for her to have the freedom to express herself.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
BS Gal said:
Okay. I give up. Bush didn't hold a gun to my son's head to sign up. His own decision. He graduated the week after the 9/11 incident. I knew on 9/11 that we would be going to war and it scared me to death. I guess my point is that I sympathize with anyone who has lost a child. The woman may not be right in the head, but one of the reasons that our men are fighting is for her to have the freedom to express herself.

Exactly. But not the freedom to blame and stalk the president. I feel for anyone who has lost a loved one for any reason, but misplaced blame will not bring them back. Losing loved one's for our freedom is not a new concept.

Mikeinsmd

BS Gal said:
If my son died in a car accident and it was his fault, I'd be putting flowers on his grave. If he died in an accident and someone else was at fault, say a drunk driver, I'd probably be sitting in court, making sure the person did their time for killing my son. If it was an innocent mistake, I'd try to forgive the other driver. I'm sure that person would feel horrible the rest of their life for the mistake; however, Bush did not force my son to sign up. Bush seems to care deeply how many die and is very sympathetic to the families. The weapons of mass destruction were obviously moved to Syria or Iran.
:fixed: Your son is a hero you could learn from....

SamSpade

I'm sure Lincoln didn't CARE about how many sons would die for the Union.

FDR didn't CARE how many men would die fighting the Nazis.

Clinton didn't CARE about how many men would die in Bosnia.

Of COURSE they care. I wouldn't want to have been in their shoes for anything. It's terrible to be in the position of having to send men to die, ESPECIALLY if you're a military leader and you KNOW the men under you are going to die. We as civilians have that luxury of NOT having to be in that position. But we elect men who have to live with those decisions, and they all have to do it sooner or later. If I ever had to do that, it would haunt me day and night EVEN IF I THOUGHT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. I'm not cut out for that. Hell, I couldn't even be a doctor and turn away a patient that was certain to die even with my help.

I'm reminded of that movie "The American President" where Andrew Shepherd has to decide to call in an air strike against Libya. He chooses to do it at night to minimize the deaths of innocent civilians, even though he KNOWS some will certainly die. He does this reluctantly because he's dealing with an intractable enemy that shows zero restraint in killing OTHER nation's civilians, and he regrets this "measured response".

I'd never want to make those decisions. But since they MUST be made, I'm glad someone is willing to make them.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
BS Gal said:
What did you THINK that paycheck was for, shining your shoes and looking spiffy in a uniform?
[/QUOTE]

I don't think the paychecks are for that because they barely cover the cost of shoe polish and/or getting the uniforms cleaned.....

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I don't think the paychecks are for that because they barely cover the cost of shoe polish and/or getting the uniforms cleaned.....[/QUOTE]

:nono: Don't even start. Many on this forum are prior military.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BS Gal said:
I don't think the paychecks are for that because they barely cover the cost of shoe polish and/or getting the uniforms cleaned.....
On that point, I will agree with you wholeheartedly. I can't help but scratch my head that entertainers and professional sports guys make multi-millions and our soldiers are making squat. Yes, they get good benefits, but please - where are our priorities?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
On that point, I will agree with you wholeheartedly. I can't help but scratch my head that entertainers and professional sports guys make multi-millions and our soldiers are making squat. Yes, they get good benefits, but please - where are our priorities?

As with any other job, military members start at the bottom of the ladder.