Walmart blames low gains on gasoline prices

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Wal-Mart's quarterly gain lowest in 4 years

From Tribune news services
Published August 17, 2005

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on Tuesday reported its smallest quarterly profit gain in four years and offered a disappointing third-quarter forecast, blaming higher gasoline prices for cutting into the spending of its customers.

But the outlook was much brighter at other retailers. J.C. Penney Co., Home Depot Inc. and Nordstrom Inc. turned in strong quarterly earnings and raised their estimates for the rest of the year.

Continued... http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0508170117aug17,1,5113797.story?coll=chi-business-hed

So what do y'all think? Is this the first sign that high fuel prices may be undermining our economy, or is Walmart blowing smoke up our azzes?

terbear1225

or could it be all the news lately about how shitty they treat thier employers making people want to spend thier money elsewhere. or, like me, people are annoyed with the overcrowding and lack of organization in the stores

SamSpade

terbear1225 said:
. or, like me, people are annoyed with the overcrowding and lack of organization in the stores
MY number one complaint! I can't freakin' MOVE in WalMart. Clothes are never organized or labelled by size, and it is so crammed, you can't go down an aisle without turning sideways. I'd MUCH rather spend MORE money and go to Target.

janey83

Twenty Something
Actually, I've found the Super Walmarts to be much nicer, cleaner and more room to move around.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
SamSpade said:
MY number one complaint! I can't freakin' MOVE in WalMart. Clothes are never organized or labelled by size, and it is so crammed, you can't go down an aisle without turning sideways. I'd MUCH rather spend MORE money and go to Target.

Ditto. For some reason they think that stocking the store on the weekends is a good idea? I am doing the Target thing, also.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Let's read...

reported its smallest quarterly profit gain in four years

Small PROFIT GAIN.

In other words, they made a profit and it was better than last quarter and it was better than the same quarter last year.

That means, at worst, they didn't earn as much as they wanted to or planned to but they made net profit.

Call me when they start losing money or at least make less than same quarter a year ago.