Is Sheehan helping or hurting Bush?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Antiwar activists, largely inactive since the 2004 election, are organizing around Sheehan's protest: Tonight, the MoveOn PAC and two other liberal groups plan to sponsor about 1,000 candlelight vigils around the country to support her.

For Bush, a reinvigorated protest movement presents obvious dangers as he struggles to bolster flagging public support for the mission in Iraq. But such a challenge could present opportunities for the White House.

If a revived antiwar movement promotes alternative policies that the public resists — such as the immediate withdrawal of all American troops, which Sheehan favors — Bush could garner support for his course, some analysts say.

Interesting article.. definitely left-leaning, but an interesting analysis...
Continued... http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...st17aug17,0,1746813.story?coll=la-home-nation

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I think it's a push. All the lefties are celebrating her as their current celebrated cause, but they'll dump her after a while. Then they'll trot her out for the conventions and show what a victim she is.

Will she energize the liberal base? You betcha! but they already seem pretty energized anyway and for all that they couldn't out-do the will of the general population.

Meanwhile the conservatives are getting energized to counter what they perceive as the latest liberal episode of finger pointing and hand-wringing. They'll go protest too, but you won't hear anything about it.

JMHO.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
As a middle-roader, I think the left needs to get over its obsession with Bush. During the '90s the right seemed obsessed over Clinton, and all that did was galvanize his supporters. I think the left's Bush-obsession is having the same effect for Bush and his supporters.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
tlatchaw said:
I think it's a push. All the lefties are celebrating her as their current celebrated cause, but they'll dump her after a while. Then they'll trot her out for the conventions and show what a victim she is.

Will she energize the liberal base? You betcha! but they already seem pretty energized anyway and for all that they couldn't out-do the will of the general population.

Meanwhile the conservatives are getting energized to counter what they perceive as the latest liberal episode of finger pointing and hand-wringing. They'll go protest too, but you won't hear anything about it.

JMHO.
If I didn't have to work, I'd go to Texas and start a protest right next to Camp Casey protesting her idiocy.

But seriously... public support for the Iraqi war is supposedly eroding. Disapproval at 61% was the last thing I heard.

Are these polls just slanted or are they for real?
I don't know anyone who has changed their mind on the war since the last election. :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think she was okay until she started kirking out and saying she wasn't going to pay her taxes and championing the Palestinians. But that's what happens with left-wing ideologues - they can't just stick with what's working, they have to take advantage of the spotlight to push the envelope and make themselves look like the fools they are.

Fine with me. Wind 'em up and let 'em go. More votes for my side.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
sleuth said:
Are these polls just slanted or are they for real?
The polls are not only slanted, they don't allow the respondent to give enough information to create a legitimate national picture.

Which is fine, because all those hippies in 2004 that thought Kerry had it in the bag, according to polls, probably stayed home and smoked pot instead of voting.

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
The polls are not only slanted, they don't allow the respondent to give enough information to create a legitimate national picture.

Which is fine, because all those hippies in 2004 that thought Kerry had it in the bag, according to polls, probably stayed home and smoked pot instead of voting.
Well that doesn't change their minds - they still insist that, because THE POLLS indicated Kerry would win - that they were *robbed* again. See, it's the POLLS that indicate the will of the voting public - not the *election* itself.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sheehan is nothing more...

...than another adhesive that bonds both sides more tightly to their prior position.

Her son volunteered to SERVE the nation.

The war was approved by both houses of congress based on the Iraq War Resolution which makes the case today for us trying to change Iraq as much as it did 3 years ago.

Her attitudes about the President have so dramatically changed for no rational reason whatsoever.

She is being pimped by the usual "We hate Bush" crowd.

Her position on the war is wrong and is aid and comfort to our enemies.

So, in summary, while the people who hate George Bush more than Saddam Hussein and fear W more than they fear global Islamofascists have a rallying point in her crusade she is at least as much an embarrassment and shame to the rest of us.

Net change: To the good of the nation and support of the President.

Why? Because this circus forces Bush to come out and repeat uncomfortable truths; We had to engage Iraq. It is tougher than we'd thought and hoped. We have to win and our sons and daughters sacrifices are but a part of the equation.

While the left will jump up and down like organ grinder monkeys screaming "See!? Liar!!!" facing grim reality, from our Civil War to WWII has only steeled the resolve of Americans. The left is hoping that the Vietnam model can be resurected.

Our enemies hope so to.