Marine told he is no longer a Texas resident because he was away in Iraq

Triggerfish

Idiots.....I have a feeling that the people are going to scream loud enough that the college will change its mind or someone will end up donating some money to the marine. Either way the college I think will end up changing their policy on residency with concerns to the military soon or later.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If his "home of record" is Texas, then he should still be a Texas resident regardless of his tours of duty out of state. Checking the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board it says at paragraph 11 [G]:

(G) Honorably Discharged Veterans. A former member of the U.S. Armed Forces or Commissioned Officer of the Public Health Service and his/her spouse and/or dependent child are entitled to pay the resident tuition rate for any term beginning prior to the first anniversary of separation from the military or health service if the former member:
(i) filed proper documentation with the military or Public Health Service to change his/her permanent residence to Texas and designated Texas as his/her place of legal residence for income tax purposes;
(ii) registered to vote in Texas, and
(iii) shows one of the following three things has been in effect for the full 12 months prior to the first day of the relevant term or semester:
(I) ownership of real estate in Texas with no delinquent property taxes;
(II) registration of an automobile in Texas, or
(III) execution of a currently-valid will that indicates he/she is a resident of Texas that has been deposited with a county clerk in Texas.​

So if his DD-214 shows Texas as his home state, he is registered to vote in Texas, and his vehicle registration has stayed current what is the problem?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sure this is just a glitch and will be straightened out. Like Ken said, if TX is his home of record, he is considered a TX resident.

Ken King

PREMO Member
crabcake said:
:confused: Where did it say he was discharged?
That was an assumption on my part, regardless if he is still on active duty the rules state that he would be eligible for a waiver to obtain resident rates even if Texas wasn't his home state.

This has to be some sort of administrative SNAFU.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Ken King said:
That was an assumption on my part, regardless if he is still on active duty the rules state that he would be eligible for a waiver to obtain resident rates even if Texas wasn't his home state.

This has to be some sort of administrative SNAFU.
I agree ... I remember from my AD days the whole "home of record" thing and all. Heck, Illinois used to (not sure if they still do) offer fully-paid tuition to military service members who returned to the state following their service.

I was thinking that -- if he actually was still on AD, he'd have an even stronger case. :ohwell: I hope they get it worked out cuz the school sure is looking like a dumbass as a result of this.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Vrai is right, it's probably just a glitch that will be fixed. Besides all of that, he qualifies for the Hazelwood Act which will pay his tuition at any Texas state school. I think the news just jumped on this one for a quick outrage story.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
Vrai is right, it's probably just a glitch that will be fixed. Besides all of that, he qualifies for the Hazelwood Act which will pay his tuition at any Texas state school. I think the news just jumped on this one for a quick outrage story.
Isn't Hazelwood only for those Texan veterans that are no longer eligible for education benefits from the VA?

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:
I'm sure this is just a glitch and will be straightened out. Like Ken said, if TX is his home of record, he is considered a TX resident.

Even if it's not - won't the Corps pay for his edumacation?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
No, it applies to AD members that enlisted in the state of Texas. This copy doesn't specifically state the current wars, but it's open ended.

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~vets/hazlwood.html
It says all honorably discharged veterans (and gives a list of periods of eligibility), but remains silent regarding active duty personnel and in paragraph (e) the kicker -

The exemption from fees provided for in Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a person if at the time of his registration he is eligible for educational benefits under federal legislation in effect at the time of his registration if the value of those benefits is equal to or exceeds the value of the exemption, except that the person must first utilize the federal benefit for which he is eligible and the combined amount of the federal benefit plus the amount of this waiver shall not exceed the maximum value of the waiver. A person is covered by the exemptions if his right to benefits under federal legislation is extinguished at the time of his registration, except that a person is not eligible for an exemption from fees under this section if the person's right to benefits under federal legislation is extinguished because the person is in default of repayment of a loan made to the person under a federal program to provide or guarantee loans for educational purposes. A person is not eligible for the exemption if the person is in default on a loan made or guaranteed for educational purposes by the State of Texas.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Ken King said:
It says all honorably discharged veterans (and gives a list of periods of eligibility), but remains silent regarding active duty personnel and in paragraph (e) the kicker -

The exemption from fees provided for in Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a person if at the time of his registration he is eligible for educational benefits under federal legislation in effect at the time of his registration if the value of those benefits is equal to or exceeds the value of the exemption, except that the person must first utilize the federal benefit for which he is eligible and the combined amount of the federal benefit plus the amount of this waiver shall not exceed the maximum value of the waiver. A person is covered by the exemptions if his right to benefits under federal legislation is extinguished at the time of his registration, except that a person is not eligible for an exemption from fees under this section if the person's right to benefits under federal legislation is extinguished because the person is in default of repayment of a loan made to the person under a federal program to provide or guarantee loans for educational purposes. A person is not eligible for the exemption if the person is in default on a loan made or guaranteed for educational purposes by the State of Texas.
Right, which is 150 credit hours. If He has the GI bill or another, he must use that first, and the remainder used for the Act combined cannot exceed 150 credit hours combined, but that amout is just about a BS. If he doesn't have the GI Bill, then he should move straight to Hazelwood Act coverage.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Well, if he listed another state as his permanent residence then that is that. Thanks for the update Danzig.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Which once again proves that you can't trust the media exculsively. Thier so hungry for rating that the conveinently leave information out.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
They were slated to put this story on this morning's "Fox & Friends" (FOX News), but I didn't watch it. How long can you hang onto a [discredited] story before doing so becomes an embarrassment?