Me thinking again

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Sometimes I don't know where I come up with this stuff but somehow or another I do. Actually I was just on washingtonpost.com reading the Charles County Crime Report so that's probably what triggered it. Anyway, why as a society do we even allow Attempted Murder to be a charge? In my opinion if you attempt to kill someone you should be tried for murder regardless of whether or not you were successful. If you weren't successful in your attempt to kill someone all the more reason to be locked up for good. Apparently you're an idiot and don't need to be walking the streets. Let's face it, a ton of people who face actual murder charges don't spend the remainder of their life in jail for the one they took. Does anyone know what the difference in punishment for murder/attempted murder is? I'd be interested to know. I just think it's ridiculous that someone who tries to do something and is too stupid to do it right should face less of a sentence then someone who did it and did it right. Not that there is anything "right" about killing someone just when it comes down to it I think that if you attempt to take another life you should have to pay with your own be it your freedom or your own life.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by pixiegirl
I just think it's ridiculous that someone who tries to do something and is too stupid to do it right should face less of a sentence then someone who did it and did it right. Not that there is anything "right" about killing someone just when it comes down to it I think that if you attempt to take another life you should have to pay with your own be it your freedom or your own life.

I think you hit the nail on the head, here. I never really thought about it before, but all your points are valid. I mean, if you attempt to do it, you are still meaningfully and intentionally trying to commit a horrible act. If you get 'lucky' and aren't successful, it doesn't make what you were trying to do any less wrong.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Me thinking again

Originally posted by laureng
I think you hit the nail on the head, here. I never really thought about it before, but all your points are valid. I mean, if you attempt to do it, you are still meaningfully and intentionally trying to commit a horrible act. If you get 'lucky' and aren't successful, it doesn't make what you were trying to do any less wrong.

Just another way the government punishes you for success.. :smile:

K

Kain99

I dunno Pix..... your philosophy holds water, but things could get really sticky if we punished people the same for trying......

You might feel better to know that "Conspiracy to committ murder" carries a longer prison term than just plain old murder.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by pixiegirl
And you should be beat! :bonk:

Thanks for hurting me and making me feel cheap, but it was a shot at smalltown, NOT you.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by SmallTown
Why would that be a shot at me?

Just messing with you about saying she was thinking way too much for the end of the year.

MikeyBash

The law doesn't punish us for what we could have done, just what we did. By your logic, drunk drivers could be charged with murder because they could have killed someone.

Attempted murder is a very serious crime, but murder is worse. Punishment should fit the crime, not the intent of the criminal.

Just my $.02

P

PartiallySane

So what happens if you like beat someone to near death, then are sent to jail for attempted murder and while in jail the person dies of complications due to the beating? Would be then be charged with murder on top of attempted murder or would your attempted murder charge be changed to murder and a new trial?

H

Heretic

FWIW there is a guy that injected his newborn son with HIV, the son is still alive but he has been convicted of murder. The little boy is HIV positive and 8 (I think) years old now but will probably die of AIDS (we can't be 100% sure yet, can we?).

So if a bank robbery attempt is unsuccesful (didnt get any money) the person shouldn't be charged with armed robbery? Just attempted armed robbery?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Heretic
So if a bank robbery attempt is unsuccesful (didnt get any money) the person shouldn't be charged with armed robbery? Just attempted armed robbery?

:cool: I think you've got it. I'm not a lawyer, but I do think that "Attempted Armed Robbery" is a valid charge, for the very reason you have laid out.

Does it make sense? Beats me. Let's try this; you're armed with an UZI and attempt to rob a bank; and just as you're breaking the lock on the door, the cops suddenly show up tell you to "freeze!", and you don't enter inside, the cops cuff you and take you away, wouldn't that fit the bill?

penn

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Heretic
FWIW there is a guy that injected his newborn son with HIV, the son is still alive but he has been convicted of murder. The little boy is HIV positive and 8 (I think) years old now but will probably die of AIDS (we can't be 100% sure yet, can we?).

WHAT!!!! What ISSSS this world coming to?? Why in God's name would ANYONE do something so awful to a poor innocent child. I mean, it really is almost worse than murdering him. He is going to suffer during his last years of life and did zilch to deserve that. I am seriously shocked!

H

Heretic

The guy was a blood tech at a medical lab and didnt want to admit the baby was his.....go figure. He is serving a life sentance, not enough in my book.

K

Kizzy

It is hard to believe that was almost 8 years ago. It seemed like just yesterday that happened. The fathers reason for doing this was so that he would NOT have to pay child support. He was in the medical field, which is how he got ahold of the virus.

Punishment should fit the crime, not the intent of the criminal.

I agree with that statement, but then there are those stories that you remember forever. I remember a woman who was interviewed on the Oprah show back when she first started her talk show. This woman was sitting in her car, stuck in traffic when she was shot in the head. A man came to help her and lifted her out of the car and put her in his car to take her to the hospital. Well, he didn't take her to the hospital. He took her to his apartment and raped her over and over again, stabbing her, and an investigation revealed, he was the person who shot her to begin with. Somehow she managed to escape, which just amazed me she had such a strong will to live. She has numerous scars and she is blind. Her attacker got 20 years in prison and he was up for parole when the story aired. I wouldn't be surprised if he is out now, but I think the purpose of the story was to block his parole at the time. I thought he deserved life or the death penalty for what he did, but because she lived, they convicted him for attempted murder.

Last edited by a moderator: