going out

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Leonardtown - Cafe des Artistes (one of my favorites!)
Ridge - Spinnakers (excellent salmon!)
Solomons - Dry Dock (another fave!)
Solomons - Naughty Gull (nice daytime view!)
Hollywood - Clarke's Landing (crabcakes!)
Lexington Park - The Tides
St. Mary's City - Brome Howard Inn

You can probably do a search here and find out more about any of those. Where I have a (comment,) I've had dinner at each of these at least once in the last 6 weeks.

gigi6

Oz said:
Leonardtown - Cafe des Artistes (one of my favorites!)
Ridge - Spinnakers (excellent salmon!)
Solomons - Dry Dock (another fave!)
Solomons - Naughty Gull (nice daytime view!)
Hollywood - Clarke's Landing (crabcakes!)
Lexington Park - The Tides
St. Mary's City - Brome Howard Inn

You can probably do a search here and find out more about any of those. Where I have a (comment,) I've had dinner at each of these at least once in the last 6 weeks.

Are you kidding me? The Tides? :barf: I wrote on another thread about how the manager was a complete troll and completely abusive to some poor bartender. THe guy was screaming at her in front of all of us who were eating on the patio!

Everything is wonderful - except The Tides! The food is really, really expensive and, again.........the floor show sucked!

SmallTown

Football season!
gigi6 said:
Are you kidding me? The Tides? :barf: I wrote on another thread about how the manager was a complete troll and completely abusive to some poor bartender. THe guy was screaming at her in front of all of us who were eating on the patio!

Everything is wonderful - except The Tides! The food is really, really expensive and, again.........the floor show sucked!
oh yea? And you're ugly :ohwell:

T

tikipirate

For (very) formal dining: Bromes Howard Inn.
The food is American/French, and always excellent. But the atmosphere is a bit stuffy.

For casual dining, my first choice is Stoney's Kingfisher on Solomons. They offer the very best crab cakes on the planet Earth. I recommend you avoid the BS and go straight to the bar and grab a table, where you will get the same great food and best service. Crab cake sandwich goes for about $17 these days, with a softball-sized crabcake presented in a half-stale bun with a dill pickle spear and a side of slaw.

The Pier on Solomons is trying to get together, and doing a fair job of it. For scenic view it reigns supreme. The food is good, and getting better. Since it is a Stoney's restaurant, I guess you couldn't do bad by ordering the crab cake. Expect extraordinarily long waits on the weekend, both to get seated and to get your food. (But like I said, they are just getting it together, having been open only a month or two.)

CD Cafe on Solomons caters to the artsy-fartsy crowd, and does offer up some good chow, but luck better be on your side. The portions are tiny, the prices high, and they depend upon their pasta menus to fill people up. CD doesn't accept reservations, so expect to wait in line to be dissatisfied. I only mention it in case you have a fussy wife who drinks tea with a pinky raised, otherwise it is best to ignore. (Their best dish is the savory cheesecake with a basalmic vinegar reduction... PM me and I will give you the recipe.)

The Tides is a very visually attractive restaurant and does offer some of the best food in Southern Maryland. Problem is... What is the best food that day? They offer everything from diamonds to coal and it is difficult to discern what will be good upon your order. Their lobster bisque is always good. Fresh-shucked oysters are always littered with shell, and at 2 bucks a pop makes me yearn for Acme or Felix' in New Orleans (at ten cents a pop). I have always wanted to try their foie gras prepared three ways, but due to the inadequacy of the waitstaff was never provided the opportunity. I had a rosemary cream steak that shocked me by how fantastic rosemary could be combined with beef. At the same time, my date was presented with a piece of fish that smelled not-so-fresh. The Tides is OK, but you have to accept it as it comes.

Dry Dock on Solomons is very good. Same thing with DeGiovannis. You will never get a bad meal at either of those places, but they both fail the "Dang that was delicious/Dang look at that bill" ratio. I can sling you a plate of 'linguine al pescatore' for a lot less than $20.

Lexington Park has a Vietnamese noodle joint called the 'Hot Noodle' which is different, but I find absolutely horrible. Absolutely flavorless, as opposed to the wonderful incendiary-hot dishes from the Mekong delta. I asked them to 'spice it up' and they gave me a jar of pepper relish. :dead:

So, hmmm... If I wuz you I would begin my SoMD culinary experience with Stoney's Kingfisher on Solomons.

Last edited by a moderator:

emschick

I had a pretty good experience at Bear Creek on the Half Shell...They have a steamer for two that is pretty good and a great water view on all sides

L

ladylara

i have to disagree with tikipirate on the CD Cafe - it's my particular favorite in Solomons! wonderful food and the staff is really nice!

i DO agree with tikipirate on Bromes Howard - it is really nice! we used to go often for sunday brunch. but definitly make a reservation - it's a smallllll place.

i also really like Nook & Monks in Leonardtown. :yum:

ohstate

My favorites:

Dry Dock - great food, ok wine list, nice servers. You need reservations if you want to sit inside most nights. They have a great outdoor porch is the weather is decent that is first come-first served. Ben is back cooking, so the steaks come out just as you ordered them - the menu changes daily, but they always have a few steaks, chicken, pork, and a good deal of seafood choices. The servers know what is fresh/good that day, typically.

CD Cafe - I cannot disagree more with the other poster. This is not "artsy-fartsy". It is down to earth great cooking w/ the best deserts in the area. The portions are big - my husband is a big eater and never goes away dissatisfied. The servers are very friendly and knowledgable. They have a nice selection of wine and beer, better than almost any place in the area. The have 3-4 specials daily (usually fresh fish) that are creative and very good. My husband hasn't ordered off their regular menu in years - there is always a fresh fish special he wants to try.

I disagree on Stoneys, also. Its a very basic fried seafood place, without much of a view. If you want to load up on fried greasy food, Stoney's is the place. The service is usually ok, but young, and uninterested and unprofessional. We boat to Stoneys on Broomes Island on the weekends, mostly for the atmosphere (view) but not so much for the food.

Clarks Landing - I think their crab cakes are better than Stoneys by a long shot. The service is young/unprofessional, but ok, the wine/beer list is average, the view is ok, but this is not a fancy place to take someone for a special dinner.

Brome Howard - Good food, excellent service, better than average wine list, special location/atmosphere. We don't get their often (live in Calvert), but always try to get there a few times a year.

Tides - ICK. The service was mediocre as was the food. We tried it for my husband's birthday, and I can't say we were impressed at all. I've heard good things about the raw bar/lunch, but I won't be going back for that.

DiGiovannis - always disappoints. We try it once or twice a year - thinking that they may have improved, but the food is always mediocre at best, as is the service. They try to be fancy, but can't pull it off. Its just always a bad experience when we go there. We can overlook certain flaws, but not if the food doesn't merit it.

Naughty Gull - (we call it the Nasty Gull). Food was so bad, we've never gone back.

I see where there is are two new places down Dowell road - one in the old Ediths/Kingisher/whatever branch of the Nasty Gull is and the other in the old Riverside location. Has anyone been to either?

L

ladylara

i had forgotten to mention stoney's on broome's - FAR superior to solomons. thanks, ohstate. you and i seem to have similiar dining tastes - i agree with you on your whole posting - we should dine out together! :clap:

mixallagist

Be careful what u wish 4
The Willows is nice. Great food and I have never had a problem with the food or service there. The Tides is a complete waste of time.

The Willows also has a menu online

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Brome-Howard Inn, great food excellent brunch. As for being stuffy, If I am going someplace nice, I don't want to see jeans and a t shirt, that is the problem down here, a lack of "table cloth" restaurants.

If "Tavern at the Village" is still open to the public, another great place. I never saw it crowded and the food was always outstanding.

Old Field Inn in Prince Frederick is usually pretty good. I'd like to see them tighten up on a dress code though. The last time I ate there some guy who looked like the missing link (hairy as he!!) was wearing a tank top and a ball cap. :dead:

mixallagist

Be careful what u wish 4
kom526 said:
Brome-Howard Inn, great food excellent brunch. As for being stuffy, If I am going someplace nice, I don't want to see jeans and a t shirt, that is the problem down here, a lack of "table cloth" restaurants.

If "Tavern at the Village" is still open to the public, another great place. I never saw it crowded and the food was always outstanding.

Old Field Inn in Prince Frederick is usually pretty good. I'd like to see them tighten up on a dress code though. The last time I ate there some guy who looked like the missing link (hairy as he!!) was wearing a tank top and a ball cap. :dead:

The Tavern at the Village is the same people who are doing The Tides. I think That The Tavern at the Village is only open for the people who live in the retirement village in Wildewood now.