Southern Maryland Drivers

buck

i'm not saying i'm perfect, but has anyone noticed more careless driving around this area within the past 2yrs. Last week driving through Mechanicsville i had a motorcylce fly between me and another car then go off the side of the road to fly by more cars.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Yeah, but I kinda think that is typical of alot of areas, you would think with all the horrific accidents that people have access to see via the ever present media they would reconsider the crazy driving. The one thing I do notice about this area is the amount of idiots that get in the left lane without passing and just sit there for 10+ miles going the exact same speed limit as the guy in the right lane while traffic piles up for a mile behind them. The one and only good thing about NJ is their law about must be passing in the left lane.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
While I don't condone the antics of squidly riders on sportbikes, it is safer to maintain a positive speed differential when riding in traffic. I'm talking around 5 mph, not 50.
But at least you saw him. Nothing makes the sphincter clinch like a SUV driver deciding that were you are is an empty space and moving on over. :yikes:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
aps45819 said:
Nothing makes the sphincter clinch like a SUV driver deciding that were you are is an empty space and moving on over. :yikes:
Someone did that to us once in Alexandria. It scared the crap out of me, enough to maybe not want to ride again. :ohwell:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Nickel said:
Someone did that to us once in Alexandria. It scared the crap out of me, enough to maybe not want to ride again. :ohwell:
Their is usually enough room to split lanes and the look on their face when you kick in their car door is priceless. Sometimes they even drop their cell phone.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
aps45819 said:
Their is usually enough room to split lanes and the look on their face when you kick in their car door is priceless. Sometimes they even drop their cell phone.
Kick the wrong car door and you could just be a pile of hair, eyes, and teeth being sponged off the pavement.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
2ndAmendment said:
Kick the wrong car door and you could just be a pile of hair, eyes, and teeth being sponged off the pavement.
That wasn't a joke? :twitch:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
2ndAmendment said:
Very true. I've seen guys on bikes ride up next to someone and cuss at them for cutting them off. I just shake my head and figure neither party is thinking about the physics involved.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
K_Jo said:
That wasn't a joke? :twitch:
Sad, but no. Road rage goes both ways. Biker kicks door because biker is mad and think self is bad ass because biker is biker. SUVer goes swerve and biker is sliding down road at 60 MPH in a tumbling tangle of metal and body parts and maybe even goes under the wheels of the SUV. "But officer, the bike was in my blind spot."

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
2ndAmendment said:
Sad, but no. Road rage goes both ways. Biker kicks door because biker is mad and think self is bad ass because biker is biker. SUVer goes swerve and biker is sliding down road at 60 MPH in a tumbling tangle of metal and body parts and maybe even goes under the wheels of the SUV. "But officer, the bike was in my blind spot."
Exactly, kicking a door would be a last resort to keep from getting squished between two cars, and the physics involved with that is your bike will move over if you kick something beside you (or so I've heard). That's why I've got upgraded horns :yay:

D

dems4me

buck said:
i'm not saying i'm perfect, but has anyone noticed more careless driving around this area within the past 2yrs. Last week driving through Mechanicsville i had a motorcylce fly between me and another car then go off the side of the road to fly by more cars.

If its any consolation, there'll be one more safe driver on the roads in Mechanicsville ... I took a stated mandated driver improvement course (6 hours) all day on Saturday... :cussing:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
If its any consolation, there'll be one more safe driver on the roads in Mechanicsville ... I took a stated mandated driver improvement course (6 hours) all day on Saturday... :cussing:
But did you learn anything? :whistle:

D

dems4me

2ndAmendment said:
But did you learn anything? :whistle:

You need to bring 75.00 cash with you, the letter MVA sends you and a drivers license... after that... about the only thing I learned was to go for smoke breaks on bathroom breaks (there were no breaks at all... not even lunch) so that we could leave at 4:00. However if you were away from the room too long, you could risk missing one of the questinos on one of the two tests you are required to pass. :ohwell: But if you are hankering for a smoke, that was equally distracting.

Admittedly though, I did learn a few things. I think anyone of us that sits in a room for 6 hours straight learns at least SOMETHING. Even if it is something like plaid just doesn't go with a stripped shirt... :lol:
I learned, that a U.S. Park Police outranked a county or state boy... apparently they are federal police, I always cruised and passed by them and sneered at them for being in the way... they too like school busses were "pace cars" to me ... gotta get out of the house and down the road before the "pace cars" get on the road and screw everything up enroute to work ... and I also learned that your turn signal needs to be on for a minimum of 100 feet before turning and that tractor trailors take an entire football field to stop. Also, if you sit too close to the steering wheel, the steering wheel becomes embedded in your chest and the EMT's cut the flesh around the wheel versus the wheel out of your chest because its softer and flesh, versus having to try to cut through a hardened wheel... all of this before anthestesia, etc... OUCH!!! And.... I learned what a stett docket was if I never needed one and a PBJ :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
aps45819 said:
You must be very happsy

Really Aps, your obsession with Dems is becoming way too obvious. I suggest you stop following her around the board. Play a little harder to get. :lmao:

mrweb

Iron City
dems4me said:

Another good school. A little more expensive but you can take courses in accident avoidance and highway safety to high performance training. I plan on taking my two young'uns after the youngest gets on the road here in another year or so for the accident avoidance course.

Plan on an overnight stay if you can, its a bit of a drive to Summit Point, WV from here. I've had a bunch of training from BSR and every course I took was a blast and I learned a lot.