59-41

transporter

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican-run Senate rejected President Donald Trump’s declaration of a national emergency at the southwest border on Thursday, setting up a veto fight and dealing him a conspicuous rebuke as he tested how boldly he could ignore Congress in pursuit of his highest-profile goal.

The Senate voted 59-41 to cancel Trump’s February proclamation of a border emergency, which he invoked to spend $3.6 billion more for border barriers than Congress had approved. Twelve Republicans joined Democrats in defying Trump in a showdown many GOP senators had hoped to avoid because he commands die-hard loyalty from millions of conservative voters who could punish defecting lawmakers in next year’s elections.

Senate rejects Trump border emergency as Republicans defect

59-41...interesting. Maybe there is some hope for the Republican party yet????

Midnightrider

59 isn’t that far from 67

Between that and the fact that the house will probably pass the veto override, if today’s mueller report vote is any indication, this could get interesting

Hijinx

So glad illegal immigrants have such support
Illegal immigrants have much more support from Republicans then I have for Republicans.
Here are twelve people who need to be Primary'ed.
Is these Republicans agree with democrats that we need open borders, they should switch parties.

This only goes to show us how really weak Mitch McConnell is.

Last edited:

LtownTaxpayer

I guess that's one way to look at it.

Another way is less support for a President who believes in unilateral ruling by decree.
I hope you felt this same way when Obama was governing with a phone and a pen - and had many of those actions overturned for executive overreach. But then again he didn't even try to get things through Congress.

CPUSA

59 isn’t that far from 67

Between that and the fact that the house will probably pass the veto override, if today’s mueller report vote is any indication, this could get interesting
Sounds like it's far enough that it can't stop a veto

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Another way is less support for a President who believes in unilateral ruling by decree.

I'm tired of that talking point, too. It's vapid and inaccurate, and yet not a day goes by that I don't hear it 8,000 times.

Congress should have done the right thing in the first place and funded our border security rather than play politics with our safety. Every single one of those Democrats has been saying for years/decades that we need more security at our border, and only changed their tune because they don't want Trump to be the one who gets credit.

It shouldn't have come to this. It should have been a no-brainer to fund the wall.

BOP

I hope you felt this same way when Obama was governing with a phone and a pen - and had many of those actions overturned for executive overreach. But then again he didn't even try to get things through Congress.
Then again, how much of what he did take to Congress got rejected - by the Democrats?

Chris0nllyn

The things you all accuse Trump of are the exact things none of you said "boo" to Obama actually doing.

Except that's not true, at all and is continually pointed out to you.

Do you lack long term memory, aging hitting you hard, or simply don't care about factually correct info?