6/10 Americans alarmed or concerned about climate change

SkylarkTempest

Which data?...from which sources?

I want Canada to be alluvial sub-tropical again....like it was before.

The "hockey stick" global temp charts you mentioned. As I understand it, the data has been replicated several times and there is wide consensus that there has been unusually rapid and unexpected warming since the late 1800's.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The "hockey stick" global temp charts you mentioned. As I understand it, the data has been replicated several times and there is wide consensus that there has been unusually rapid and unexpected warming since the late 1800's.

So what should "we" do about it?...assuming you believe there is anything we can do.

SkylarkTempest

So what should "we" do about it?...assuming you believe there is anything we can do.

I'm not an expert, so this is just a lay opinion. First, we need to fix the storage problem. Solar is great when there's sun but not so great when there's no sun. A Manhattan-like project to improve battery efficiency would be a good start. There's a LOT of top quality intellect stuck in other industries such as tech and finance because that's where the money is. If the political will existed, we could incentive those minds to put their efforts into solving that issue first. Second, nuclear energy is an imperfect solution but given the potential stakes, a realistic one. More nuclear plants, at least for the time being.

Synthetic meat is still, I don't really know, years maybe decades away but that would also help.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not an expert, so this is just a lay opinion. First, we need to fix the storage problem. Solar is great when there's sun but not so great when there's no sun. A Manhattan-like project to improve battery efficiency would be a good start. There's a LOT of top quality intellect stuck in other industries such as tech and finance because that's where the money is. If the political will existed, we could incentive those minds to put their efforts into solving that issue first. Second, nuclear energy is an imperfect solution but given the potential stakes, a realistic one. More nuclear plants, at least for the time being.

Synthetic meat is still, I don't really know, years maybe decades away but that would also help.

And the rest of the world?...what will they do? How about those 250 or so new coal-fired electric power generation plants China has recently built?

How many square miles of solar panels would it take to reliably produce 25% of the US power requirement? (It's actually not a completely prohibitive number). Do you know how many wind turbines are on line now to be able to achieve the roughly 47% of UK's power requirement..and where they are located? They are already deploying very large power storage "batteries" over there, btw.

Solar is not the panacea everyone thinks. It uses more energy to manufacture and dispose of than it will produce in it's lifetime, and the heavy metals used contribute to toxic pollution.

SkylarkTempest

Love to talk about whether we should do something.

The Heartland Institute? LOL. C'mon. Do you know anything about this "institution"? On one side is a Koch funded foundation that has been working to discredit climate science for over 30 years and on the other side - a bunch of nerds at the governments weather institute. Gee, I wonder who we should trust...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Heartland Institute? LOL. C'mon. Do you know anything about this "institution"? On one side is a Koch funded foundation that has been working to discredit climate science for over 30 years and on the other side - a bunch of nerds at the governments weather institute. Gee, I wonder who we should trust...
Right from the playbook. :yay:

Barabbas

Agree with the increasing nuclear plants.

SkylarkTempest

And the rest of the world?...what will they do? How about those 250 or so new coal-fired electric power generation plants China has recently built?

How many square miles of solar panels would it take to reliably produce 25% of the US power requirement? (It's actually not a completely prohibitive number). Do you know how many wind turbines are on line now to be able to achieve the roughly 47% of UK's power requirement..and where they are located? They are already deploying very large power storage "batteries" over there, btw.

The rest of the world can't follow suit? Are you saying these aren't solvable problems?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Right from the playbook. :yay:
Yep.

Never occurs to them that the weather nerds might have a vested interest in finding and showing EXACTLY the right conclusion that will keep their funding flowing freely! :lmao:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The rest of the world can't follow suit?

They are not now...what would change that? And "solvable problems" is inaccurate. Cost v Benefit always matters when considering any course of action. Simply because some group of climate cultists enumerates something as a problem will never justify spending limitless sums of money for little to no benefit. But that is, of course, something you lib/progs are well known for: Craft a problem narrative..throw a chit ton of someone else's money at it...walk away patting yourself on the back for having "done something"...and then simply move on. Never, ever look back at the results or consequences.