6 Takeaways From Andrew McCabe’s Double-Dealing ‘60 Minutes’ Interview

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
2. Making It a Crime to Fire Somebody
Can there be any greater job security than to position yourself so that if your boss attempts to fire you, he can be charged with obstruction of justice?
Pelley asked, “What was it specifically that caused you to launch the counter-intelligence investigation?” In response, McCabe dissembled, barely obscuring his true motivation.
And the idea is, if the president committed obstruction of justice, fired the director of the of the FBI to negatively impact or to shut down our investigation of Russia’s malign activity and possibly in support of his campaign, as a counter-intelligence investigator you have to ask yourself, ‘Why would a president of the United States do that?’ So all those same sorts of facts cause us to wonder is there an inappropriate relationship, a connection between this president and our most fearsome enemy, the government of Russia?

The CBS interviewer then probed McCabe’s smear, “Are you saying that the president is in league with the Russians?” McCabe couldn’t say that. But he did inadvertently reveal why he wanted to get an investigation rolling against the president.
I think the next day, I met with the team investigating the Russia cases. And I asked the team to go back and conduct an assessment to determine where are we with these efforts and what steps do we need to take going forward. I was very concerned that I was able to put the Russia case on absolutely solid ground in an indelible fashion that were I removed quickly or reassigned or fired that the case could not be closed or vanish in the night without a trace.
So to restate, McCabe opened these investigations so that if the president did fire him, he could claim the president was obstructing justice, making it a crime to fire McCabe. That’s exactly what McCabe later attempted to argue, that because he opened an investigation into the president, it’s per se obstruction of justice to fire him.

3. McCabe Admitted It Was Personal
Many have noted that McCabe is prone to grudges and that the prosecution of Michael Flynn is McCabe punching back for Flynn exposing McCabe’s retaliation in a discrimination lawsuit. In the “60 Minutes” interview, McCabe described Trump as asking about his wife’s failed political career.
MCCABE: ‘What was it like when your wife lost her race for state senate? It must have been really tough to lose.’ And I said, ‘Well, it’s tough to lose anything. But my wife has refocused her efforts on her career. And he then said, ‘Ask her what it was like to lose. It must be tough to be a loser.’
PELLEY: What did you think?
MCCABE: No man wants to hear anyone call his wife a loser, most of all me. My wife is a wonderful, brilliant, dedicated physician who tried to help her community. So she is no loser. It was just bullying.