6 Year Old Activities

Is there a local Brownie/Girl Scout troop in St. Mary's County? Or what other activities are available like baton twirling, gymnastics, or reasonably priced dance studio?

UglyBear

We were looking into starting 4H this fall -- I talked to them several times, and really liked how they are different from the Scouts.

1. Co-ed programs -- this will come very handy in early teenage years
  2. As much as I understand, Scouts have to knock out activities, get badges, move on; in 4H, they can stay and go into deeper mastery of a subject they like, it's less regimented, more suited for independent-minded kids (although structure could be really useful too -- depends on the parents' philosophy and kids' personality?)
  3. Related to the point above, if one's kid is a little bit different (sensory, behavior, emotional differences -- what have you) 4H people seem to be much more willing to work with, include, and help those kids.
  4. Not a difference, but just pointing out: 4H is not only farming/ animals, they do a lot of programming, robotics, art, marksmanship, etc. And yes, animal husbandry is also super fun. (little girls sure have some deep fascination with horses, and are willing to shovel manure for hours, instead of cleaning their rooms :))

Don't know how this is going to happen this Fall -- we haven't gotten a reply yet from the local chapter.

We were looking into starting 4H this fall -- I talked to them several times, and really liked how they are different from the Scouts.

1. Co-ed programs -- this will come very handy in early teenage years
  2. As much as I understand, Scouts have to knock out activities, get badges, move on; in 4H, they can stay and go into deeper mastery of a subject they like, it's less regimented, more suited for independent-minded kids (although structure could be really useful too -- depends on the parents' philosophy and kids' personality?)
  3. Related to the point above, if one's kid is a little bit different (sensory, behavior, emotional differences -- what have you) 4H people seem to be much more willing to work with, include, and help those kids.
  4. Not a difference, but just pointing out: 4H is not only farming/ animals, they do a lot of programming, robotics, art, marksmanship, etc. And yes, animal husbandry is also super fun. (little girls sure have some deep fascination with horses, and are willing to shovel manure for hours, instead of cleaning their rooms :))
Don't know how this is going to happen this Fall -- we haven't gotten a reply yet from the local chapter.
That sounds good. What area would this be in?