60 Minutes II - Sadam

K

Kain99

I know that there was quite a bit of controversy about this program but I must admit I watched.

All in all I think that 60 minutes was fairly responsible. Unless I missed something there was really no Liberal slant.

At the same time there was nothing striking or earth shattering either. Saddam is more educated than I thought and he certainly has mastered the art of avoiding questions.

I think the highlight was his answer to the question, Do you or do you not agree, in principle, with the attack of 9/11. Yep he sure does. Chilling (is putting it mildly.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Biscuit

Livin' Large
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I boycotted the show.

I understand the thought of the boycott, But i think it is important to learn all you can about your enemy.

I was just curious of the angle that he was taking and was wondering on what he intended to achieve through this interview.

Nothing more telling than the cockiness of his persona. He believes as long as he is alive afterwards he wins. I think we can fix that!

I especially like the over use of the religous statements.

Biscuit

Livin' Large
I am curious as to what the liberals will take the following statement to mean.

Saddams response to the question of the support in principle of the 9/11 attacks.

Saddam Hussein: Let me tell you absolutely clearly: Our principles are not just national or pan-Arab, but they are humane principles. We believe in humanity. We believe that the world must seek to find opportunities for peace, not opportunities for war or opportunities for fighting or opportunities for venting or harming others. These are principles in which we believed before we came to power. And we started living on those principles and the message and with our people when came to power. But we believe, in accordance with what Allah has -- the Almighty, God Almighty -- has taught us, in the same way that God has taught humanity as a whole -- and whatever religion they may believe in -- that there must be a law governing humanity and governing relations in humanity, that there should not be an aggressor while others are silent about the aggression. There should not be a killer while those who watch and applaud the killing. There should not be an occupier of the land belonging to others while there are those who keep quiet and never move to remove the occupation.

--------
I am sure they will not be able to connect the who is who in this statement or in what reference he is speaking.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
And since he's done all those things he thinks others shouldn't ignore... I can only assume that Dan Blather didn't raise one question to him about say, Gassing Kurds, Poisioning Iranians, Occupying Kuwait, Torture, Murder.... :rolleyes:

willie

I missed it. Is there going to be a re broadcast? Anyone know? Biscuit is right about knowing all you can about the guy.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
About halfway through, I thought that this guy would probably be a good used car salesman. The liberal slant/bias is indeed that he had a forum in front of the American public. But, I'm glad they did because he could expose himself and I think that will work against him. This morning, I'm looking at my watch wondering how many more ticks this guy has left.

This hideous human lives behind many innocent people that he has oppressed. He has killed any opposition which is why he wins a 100% vote in any election. I can't believe that the people of Iraq are better off under Saddam. He will die hiding behind is own innocent people, and sadly would sacrifice every last one of those people for his own life. We will create a system that allows those people an opportunity for the billions of oil $$ (that he currently keeps close to his own wallet.)

When asked about torching his own oil fields, and blowing up his own dams, he basically said that if they are on fire and flooded, it will be the Americans who destroyed them. Meanwhile, we're trying to figure out how we can attack him so swiftly and secure those strategic fixtures to keep him from lighting them up.

That interview didn't give me a reason to stratch my head about the question of war. Goodbye So-Damn Insane - I mean Saddam...

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Watching Saddam....

Originally posted by willie
I missed it. Is there going to be a re broadcast? Anyone know? Biscuit is right about knowing all you can about the guy.
:smile: I personally didn't watch it; I boycotted it too. But if you're curious, click on the URL that vraiblonde put up: that shoud tell you all you want to know about this "interview".

What a bunch of: barf: ! And to think CBS wanted to get the Prez or his Vice, or even the Sec of Def on the show to comment, tells me CBS is indeed trying to boost their abysmal ratings.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Sorry - but I don't relate to the boycott. This isn't some irrelevant whacko like Jacko or Beretta.

Saddam is a whacko, but he is especially relevant in the current state of world affairs. Boycotting the program unfortunately deprived you of greater insight into a world leader. Considering that each citizen is contributing $320 each to kill this guy (if the $90 billion estimate is accurate) then at least you would have greater insight into the mind of an obvious madman.

If you also boycotted Jacko's interview and all the TV time wasted on that guy recently, and Beratta's interview then at least you are consistent with boycotting TV time for whacko's...

:bubble:

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Watching Saddam....

Originally posted by penncam
:smile: I personally didn't watch it; I boycotted it too. But if you're curious, click on the URL that vraiblonde put up: that shoud tell you all you want to know about this "interview".

What a bunch of: barf: ! And to think CBS wanted to get the Prez or his Vice, or even the Sec of Def on the show to comment, tells me CBS is indeed trying to boost their abysmal ratings.

How can you even make ANY comments about the interview at all when you didn't even see it nor (I assume) read the transcripts?

I know ignorance of a subject sometimes makes us feel better, but sometime you need to bite the bullet.

I did not watch it because I completely forgot about it. I did, however, read the transripts to see what was being said.

I was rolling with this response concerning the oil and water dams:

"Iraq does not destroy its dams or its oil. Iraq protects, defends, maintains those resources, in order to improve life. And in order to (UNINTEL).

And during the war with Iran - Iran used water to fight us. And did not destroy - the dams. We used water, and we didn't - did not destroy the dams.
"

Wow, now I feel better. :rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I read the transcripts - boycotted the show because I didn't want them to get a TV rating out of me. Granted, I did give them a page view on their website, and posted the link to give them more page views, but advertisers pay more attention to Nielson ratings and not as much to hit reports.

SmallTown

Football season!
but advertisers pay more attention to Nielson ratings and not as much to hit reports.

For those who did watch the interview, which advertisers bought time slots during the interview? It would be pretty funny if one of the Armed Forces played their recruiting video :smile:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by kwillia
Vrai, Are you a Nielson family? I'm not, how would they know what I am watching? :confused:
That's a good question. Maybe they only take the Nielson families into consideration and my boycott was in vain. Frank? You're our resident statistician - can you tell us how this works?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Re: Watching Saddam....

Originally posted by SmallTown
How can you even make ANY comments about the interview at all when you didn't even see it nor (I assume) read the transcripts?

I know ignorance of a subject sometimes makes us feel better, but sometime you need to bite the bullet.
better.

:rolleyes: Wrong Bulletbrain!! There you go assuming that which you know nothing about.

I watched excerpts on both Fox News and MSNBC last night.

Could you at least try to get through one day here without putting your foot in your mouth?

demsformd

I think the liberal slant was giving him a forum to air his views, period. It's the same thing they do with bin Laden.

Or maybe they ran the show so that CBS could receive a higher rating than the other networks. So, liberals like Saddam Hussein? Is CNN, MSNBC, and FNC running coverage of Hussein's statements also a liberal bias? Or is running coverage of President Bush's statements of having interviews with him a conservative bias? The answer to those questions is a resounding no. Just because the majority of liberals oppose a war (I am not included in this group) does not mean that they support him. Mainstream liberals (this doesn't include radicals that we see in the streets) hate Hussein and what he does to their people but many of them feel that the loss of human life outweighs any benefit. (Quite wrong seing that Hussein has the potential to kill millions but still that is the way that they feel.) Mainstream media shows ALL aspects of an issue...why? Because they ae all objective sources of information. I do not think that Dan Rather interviewing Hussein is an example of a liberal bias. I just think that is ignorant to think that everything that goes on the airwaves is an example of liberal bias. BTW, FNC, the conservative darling of many people on the forums, also ran segments of the interview this morning. Are they part of the liberal media now too?

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Re: Watching Saddam....

Originally posted by penncam
:rolleyes: Wrong Bulletbrain!! There you go assuming that which you know nothing about.

I watched excerpts on both Fox News and MSNBC last night.

Could you at least try to get through one day here without putting your foot in your mouth?

I personally didn't watch it; I boycotted it too. But if you're curious, click on the URL that vraiblonde put up: that shoud tell you all you want to know about this "interview".

make up your mind then.

This is kinda like boycotting french wine, but only from a french supplier. If it is a french wine from an american distributor, it is fine.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Re: Re: Re: Watching Saddam....

Originally posted by SmallTown
make up your mind then.

This is kinda like boycotting french wine, but only from a french supplier. If it is a french wine from an american distributor, it is fine.

:nono: Now Now ST. You know I love ya bay-be! :smooch: But what have I told you about jumping on people for their veiws :really:

You know my dear...the internet does wonderous things now..such as streaming the whole dern thing. :biggrin: Anyway...how do ya know...that the networks did not reaire it a million times over during the night. :razz: Just saying. :biggrin:

Now come overhere and give me a :smooch: