Good horror films?

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Hey guys..........i am having a bunch of people over tomorrow night, and we are suppose to be watching horror films, you know the kind where you wont sleep for a week! :popcorn:

Does any body have any REALLY good ones, that are like must sees??

mAlice

professional daydreamer
mv_princess said:
isn't that the one where they are lost in the back woods of no where??

No.

A young man named Adam (LEIGH WHANNELL) wakes to find himself chained to a rusty pipe inside a decrepit subterranean chamber. Chained to the opposite side of the room is another bewildered captive, Dr. Lawrence Gordon (CARY ELWES). Between them is a dead man lying in a pool of blood, holding a .38 in his hand. Neither man knows why he has been abducted; but instructions left on a microcassette order Dr. Gordon to kill Adam within eight hours. If he fails to do so, then both men will die, and Dr. Gordon's wife, Alison (MONICA POTTER), and his daughter will be killed. Recalling a recent murder investigation by a police detective named Tapp (DANNY GLOVER), Dr. Gordon realizes he and Adam are the next victims of a psychopathic genius known only as "Jigsaw." With only a few hours left to spare, they must unravel the elaborate puzzle of their fate in the midst of mounting terror. The killer has provided them with only a few clues and two handsaws - too weak to break their steel shackles, but strong enough to cut through flesh and bone.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The original "Blair Witch" was the second-scariest movie I've ever seen, after Kubrick's version of the "The Shining." Both movies are mostly psychological horror rather than guts and gore. "Blair Witch" is no classic, but I liked its anti-special-effects approach. I'm usually not impressed by special effects, which I see as movie condiments. Too much of them and it's like having ketchup without the french fries.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I must be weird because I was not scared of Exorcist, Blair Witch, Shining, etc.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
elaine said:
No.

A young man named Adam (LEIGH WHANNELL) wakes to find himself chained to a rusty pipe inside a decrepit subterranean chamber. Chained to the opposite side of the room is another bewildered captive, Dr. Lawrence Gordon (CARY ELWES). Between them is a dead man lying in a pool of blood, holding a .38 in his hand. Neither man knows why he has been abducted; but instructions left on a microcassette order Dr. Gordon to kill Adam within eight hours. If he fails to do so, then both men will die, and Dr. Gordon's wife, Alison (MONICA POTTER), and his daughter will be killed. Recalling a recent murder investigation by a police detective named Tapp (DANNY GLOVER), Dr. Gordon realizes he and Adam are the next victims of a psychopathic genius known only as "Jigsaw." With only a few hours left to spare, they must unravel the elaborate puzzle of their fate in the midst of mounting terror. The killer has provided them with only a few clues and two handsaws - too weak to break their steel shackles, but strong enough to cut through flesh and bone.

alright your right, i havent seen that one. Sounds good!! I haven't seen any of the classic's......so i figure i shouldn't sleep for a month after this!!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
RoseRed said:
I must be weird because I was not scared of Exorcist, Blair Witch, Shining, etc.
For a while, it seemed like the only alternative to those movies were the slash-fests, like the endless sequels to Halloween and Friday the 13th.

Poltergeist would be No. 3 on my all-time scariest list.

What was up with all the "devil" flicks in the '70s? Exorcist, The Omen, Amityville Horror, Rosemary's Baby. I've read one theory that they were inspired by the generation gap of the '60s, when many parents felt like they didn't know who their kids were anymore.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
The original "Blair Witch" was the second-scariest movie I've ever seen, after Kubrick's version of the "The Shining."

Are you kidding? They both sucked. :boo: Having read The Shining I was so disappointed when I finally saw the movie. My son wanted to see Blair Witch so I went to the theater with him. I think we laughed thru the whole thing. :lol:

I love real horror movies. (2A hates them :lmao: ) I'm not a fan of blood & screamers; Halloween, Freddy Kruger, Jason, etc., that type I've rarely watched.

There was a good one on DTV recently about a little boy who was afraid of the dark. He saw monsters and was home alone with his older brother. I can't remember the name. :ohwell:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
ShaunaNJoe said:
I personally liked "Texas Chainsaw Massacre",

Which one? I saw the new version, but was told the original was better. I thought the new version was "okay".

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Sharon said:
I'm not a fan of blood & screamers; Halloween, Freddy Kruger, Jason, etc., that type I've rarely watched.

I don't like the horror movies with someone screaming the whole time, either. Gimme' a freakin' headache.