Pellets For Pellet Stoves

ajhkmr97

TexasPride1977
I am in the search of a way to purchase a ton (literally) of wood or corn pellets for my pellet stove. I've heard that is it possible to purchase a truck load but my efforts of locating a company that does this was in vain. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Vince

I buy it by the pallet. 1 ton for $180.00, but that was last year. Bet they've gone up a bunch. Only used 1 1/2 ton to heat the house for the whole winter.

ajhkmr97

TexasPride1977
Koolman,

THANKS!!! Your referral was right on target! WRA Distrubuitors (301-884-8377) sells pellets for pellet stoves. Starting around $169 a ton. I talked to Stacey Albey (not sure who she is) but she is an encyclopedia of information when it comes to pellet stoves. She is SO friendly and will bend over backwards to help you out!

Give her a call to setup an order. She did mention that the pellet manufacturers have been retarded this year and did not start to ship to distributors till late August. This evidently has put a crunch on the demand. Stacey said that WRA does not do pre-pay for orders but you can get on a waiting list and will be called when the order comes in.

Hope this info helps all those with pellet stoves and looking for fuel!

Last edited:

roxie

I have been on a waiting list with WRA since late August. We dealt with them last year, got a flyer in late august about a sale called and was told they had none but they would call when they did. Every couple of weeks I call them and they tell me not yet. American Hardware in Waldorf will sell you 10 bags.

SamSpade

Vince said:
I buy it by the pallet. 1 ton for $180.00, but that was last year. Bet they've gone up a bunch. Only used 1 1/2 ton to heat the house for the whole winter.
Ok, I really would like to know this....

We have an old wood stove in our basement, attached to our fireplace. It has a blower which allows it to generously heat the room. When it is going full bore, that room gets *toasty*.

But it doesn't heat the whole house. There's nowhere near enough circulation to do that - we have a big house, and it's spread out.

Now, do I need to have some means of circulating the newly warmed air into our existing ventilation ducts? It'd be great to heat the house with a wood stove - or even replace the old beat up one with a pellet stove - but I'm not dropping a grand or two on a stove that's just going to heat the one room BETTER than the old one.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
Ok, I really would like to know this....

We have an old wood stove in our basement, attached to our fireplace. It has a blower which allows it to generously heat the room. When it is going full bore, that room gets *toasty*.

But it doesn't heat the whole house. There's nowhere near enough circulation to do that - we have a big house, and it's spread out.

Now, do I need to have some means of circulating the newly warmed air into our existing ventilation ducts? It'd be great to heat the house with a wood stove - or even replace the old beat up one with a pellet stove - but I'm not dropping a grand or two on a stove that's just going to heat the one room BETTER than the old one.
If you have central air conditioning you should be able to just turn on the fan and it will draw the warm air via the return and redistribute it through the vents.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Ken King said:
If you have central air conditioning you should be able to just turn on the fan and it will draw the warm air via the return and redistribute it through the vents.

Ive heard that to....

Christy

b*tch rocket
:tap:

Bugger, I should have saved the money I socked in to purchasing a pellet stove this year and gone on a cruise instead. :lmao:

Steve

Enjoying life!
After searching various news articles from New York, Wisconsin, and even Canada, the situation seems to be dire. Manufacturers, after years of slow sales and overstocked conditions, scaled back production this year. When oil prices soared, everyone went out and bought a stove, along with the available supply of pellets. Now the industry is working around the clock to produce more, but not enough to match demand.

I guess we'll get to use our stove next year. UFB!

ajhkmr97

TexasPride1977
For the Pellet Hunters

All right folks, I found some information on where to possibly get some pellets. I came across a website: http://www.pelletheat.org and it has a lot of useful information about pellet fuel.

You can also get contact information for manufacturers and retailers of pellets for pellet stoves. If you own a business, you have a greater change of purchasing pellets directly from the manufacturer vs the retail store. If there is someone out there who'd be interested in doing such a thing and would not mind making arrangements for others to order pellets through you - I'd be interested in meeting you myself.

None the less, below is a page you can visit and enter your zip code. The search results will display all retailers that are close to the zip entered. Some stores are in VA and most here in MD. The site is hosted by the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association.

http://hpba.org/consumer/memsearch4.shtml

Good luck and happy hunting! If anyone has luck....please share the news!

Steve

Enjoying life!
R&D Cross, Inc goes right to fax machine, no voice mail. The others south of 301 on the list are OUT of pellets.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
PM Vince. He said he got a load of pellets from Ace Hardware in Lusby last weekend.

Vince

jazz lady said:
PM Vince. He said he got a load of pellets from Ace Hardware in Lusby last weekend.
Only if you had your name on their waiting list. I waited over a month for them. I think they're all gone by now or they are being held for someone who is on their waiting list. You could try and see if they have extra.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Christy said:
:tap: Anyone having any luck finding pellets? I'm not. :bawl:
Lowes usually carries them. and a coworker goes to stauffers and gets corn which burns well also. (according to him-I have a gas fireplace).

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Vince said:
Only if you had your name on their waiting list. I waited over a month for them. I think they're all gone by now or they are being held for someone who is on their waiting list.
Oops - didn't know that part. Well, it might be worth a shot anyway. :ohwell:

Steve

Enjoying life!
TriCounty in Waldorf has a shipment coming in tomorrow. The line starts forming around 8:00 PM tonight. :biggrin:

Vince

Steve said:
TriCounty in Waldorf has a shipment coming in tomorrow. The line starts forming around 8:00 PM tonight. :biggrin:
Tried them last week. The day it comes in, is the day it's gone. Same with the hardware in Prince Frederick. They get them in and a few hours later they are out. :shrug: