Beware of deer, and buy a honda!

N

notquitesain1

12 pm midnight, driving down 235 in an 03 honda civic, hit a deer going 55 mph, rolled straight over the deer. Only damaged is a cracked front bumper. Talk about amazing, or maybe it's just that Honda makes a kick ass car.

N

notquitesain1

aps45819 said:
So you think it's wonderful that you ran over a dead deer lying in the road?

haha, it wasnt dead, until i hit it, it walked out in front of me, i hit it head on, thats what is amazing. That i hit it head on, and that is all that happened to my car.

blacklabman

Did you stop, call the police, get a knife out, and harvest the venison? Or did you just leave the deer to rot? If you did the latter..........shame!

Vince

blacklabman said:
Did you stop, call the police, get a knife out, and harvest the venison? Or did you just leave the deer to rot? If you did the latter..........shame!
:yeahthat: I'm almost out of venison. Glad hunting season is right around the corner.

N

notquitesain1

well actually, your are not required to call the police, so no i did not called them, and i dragged the damn thing out of the road so nobody else would hit it.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
notquitesain1 said:
well actually, your are not required to call the police, so no i did not called them, and i dragged the damn thing out of the road so nobody else would hit it.
If you call the cops, it's legal to keep it.

Vince

aps45819 said:
If you call the cops, it's legal to keep it.
Don't think I'd want to keep it after it was run over. Bladder probably broke, and that's a mess to gut and clean.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
notquitesain1 said:
Thought there was a requirement if the damage done to your car was anything more then minimal.. like more then $500... And a cracked bumper cover will be more then $500..

NOW that you haven't called the cops, its up to you to prove that it was a deer that caused the accident thus claiming it on comprehensive and not collision and not having your rates increase or paying a deductible.. Hope you have evidence that it was a deer you hit.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Wow. That's the thing that scared me the most when I was driving my Civic....it's so little, I felt like I was in a sardine can or a go-kart or something. Glad you weren't hurt. :yay:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
You're supposed to report the accident so the police can have the carcass removed... :duh:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
No such law for reporting deer strikes under the Transportation Article dealing with accidents (Chapter 20). Though, as pointed out, an insurance claim might be disputed.

ylexot

Super Genius
You hit a deer with a Honda Civic and went over it? That physically does not make sense. Are you sure it was a deer and not a chihuahua? The CG of a deer (even a baby) would be above the bumper of a Civic, so it should have gone over/into the windshield.

Ken King

PREMO Member
ylexot said:
You hit a deer with a Honda Civic and went over it? That physically does not make sense. Are you sure it was a deer and not a chihuahua? The CG of a deer (even a baby) would be above the bumper of a Civic, so it should have gone over/into the windshield.
Deer aren't the most graceful critters on asphalt. Probably tried to make a drastic turn and slid down allowing the car to roll on over it.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Ken King said:
Deer aren't the most graceful critters on asphalt. Probably tried to make a drastic turn and slid down allowing the car to roll on over it.

For this crowd, that dude should buy a picture phone... :ohwell:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Gotta ask...

notquitesain1 said:
haha, it wasnt dead, until i hit it, it walked out in front of me, i hit it head on, thats what is amazing. That i hit it head on, and that is all that happened to my car.

...did you see it in time to react and chose to hit it becuase there was nowhere to go?

Did it happen to fast to react?

I've had close calls but never hit one. Vrai actually had one run into the side of her jeep years ago.

With the kids, in teaching them, I've been telling them to just hit it first unless they have time to react and SAFELY, for DAMN sure, avoid it.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Larry Gude said:
With the kids, in teaching them, I've been telling them to just hit it first unless they have time to react and SAFELY, for DAMN sure, avoid it.

I hope DoWhat doesn't read this... :coffee:

ylexot

Super Genius
Ken King said:
Ok, that would make more sense. It also would explain the relatively small amount of damage to the car. It still must have been a small one for a Civic to make it over. The ground clearance is so small that I would have thought that it would high center. Inertia would carry it over, but that would be nasty to the undercarriage and would probably rip the rear bumper off completely.

Last edited:

Ken King

PREMO Member
I've hit a few over the years and it was always zero reaction time for me. Make sure you tell them not to brake too hard pulling the nose of the car down which allows them to come up over the hood and into the windshield.