Way to go Condi!!!

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Rice Cements Deal on Gaza Borders

By Robin Wright
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 16, 2005; 4:45 AM

JERUSALEM, Nov. 15 -- After marathon all-night negotiations, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Tuesday announced a comprehensive agreement between Israel and the Palestinians designed to open up the Gaza strip to Israel and the outside world.

The deal is the most significant movement in the peace process since Israel's withdrawal from Gaza two months ago and the first broad agreement between the two sides in nine months, since talks at Sharm-el Sheikh, Egypt.

linkage: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/15/AR2005111500144.html

Pete

Repete
Bustem' Down said:
Yeah, betcha ten bucks there still won't be peace over there though.
:yeahthat: Despite her best efforts the Palestinians will blow up a school bus or something with a suicide bomber within a couple weeks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
Peace will not be acheived in Isreal until the state of Isreal no longer exsists.
Or Arabs no longer exist.

Treaty after treaty after treaty. A boring waste of time.

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
Or Arabs no longer exist.

Treaty after treaty after treaty. A boring waste of time.
What's amazing to me is that, repeatedly, people are awarded Nobel Peace Prizes for achievements in the Middle East that has YET to produce peace.

It's like giving out first prize trophies left and right for a race that hasn't even FINISHED yet.

B

Bruzilla

Bustem' Down said:
Peace will not be acheived in Isreal until the state of Isreal no longer exsists.

On that point you're wrong. The turmoil in the Middle East isn't about religion and never has been. It's about power, and as long as there are folks who want to sieze power from someone else there will always be "enemies of the people" who must be fought. The Middle East has always had horrible social economies because there isn't really anything there to support one. The land is only fit to support what it supported for centuries - isolated nomadic herders. Once folks started building towns and cities, and fixed populations started to grow, you've got to have something for those people to do. And if you can't come up with anything, then you better give them something to distract them, and for most that would be the Jews.

If the Jews folded their tents, bulldozed the cities, and left tommorrow it would make no difference to the region as they weren't the reason why the others were having difficulties. It's a whole lot easier to tell the people that the source of their problems is the Jews than for the Arab leaders to fess up and admit it's their fault.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Bruzilla said:
On that point you're wrong. The turmoil in the Middle East isn't about religion and never has been. It's about power, and as long as there are folks who want to sieze power from someone else there will always be "enemies of the people" who must be fought. The Middle East has always had horrible social economies because there isn't really anything there to support one. The land is only fit to support what it supported for centuries - isolated nomadic herders. Once folks started building towns and cities, and fixed populations started to grow, you've got to have something for those people to do. And if you can't come up with anything, then you better give them something to distract them, and for most that would be the Jews.

If the Jews folded their tents, bulldozed the cities, and left tommorrow it would make no difference to the region as they weren't the reason why the others were having difficulties. It's a whole lot easier to tell the people that the source of their problems is the Jews than for the Arab leaders to fess up and admit it's their fault.
I wasn't talking about religion either. I was refering to the British mishandling of the state of Isreal in the 40's. They basically said here it is move in if you want to and pushed the palestinians to the side.

B

Bruzilla

Bustem' Down said:
I wasn't talking about religion either. I was refering to the British mishandling of the state of Isreal in the 40's. They basically said here it is move in if you want to and pushed the palestinians to the side.

Again, it's all about power. Who would take over the-land-formerly-known-as-Israel if the Israelis left? The Palestinians? :lmao: There never were any true Palestinians until after Israel was founded, and the only reason they've stayed over the decades was because every state in the Arab League voted to prohibit emigration of "Palestinians" to their countries in order to build unrest against Israel. The Israelis offered the perfect foil for the inepitude of the Arab leaders. So, if the Jews pull out, who moves in? Most likely we have a power vacuum, and Palestinian groups like Hamas try to seize control away from the PA, while the Syrians, Lebanese, and Jordanians all rush in to claim their part of the corpse be cause they also claim historical ties and ownership of the area and have fought over it for centuries.

So, once again, if the Jews left tommorrow there would be no peace in the region.

SamSpade

Bustem' Down said:
Either way, I don't really care. I don't really like Isreal.
I ain't crazy about 'em either; they shot down and killed a friend of mine who was a pilot. But if you were an Israeli virtually surrounded by nations determined to destroy every last one of you - and who have TRIED TO DO SO on several occasions - it's hard to fault their determined efforts to *stay alive*.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
SamSpade said:
I ain't crazy about 'em either; they shot down and killed a friend of mine who was a pilot. But if you were an Israeli virtually surrounded by nations determined to destroy every last one of you - and who have TRIED TO DO SO on several occasions - it's hard to fault their determined efforts to *stay alive*.
I can, thier too shady. I've been there too. Wasn't really impressed. I could think of nicer places to fight over.

B

Bruzilla

SamSpade said:
You'd have Lebanon.

Damn Skippy!

I like the Israelis. They took a perfectly worthless spit of land and turned it into not only the only functional democracy in the region but also the only one that's making a buck off something besides oil. Unfortunately, it's human nature to seek the lowest common denominator, so the trend is to make Israelis feel bad for being successful rather than push their neighbore to be more successful. Misery does love company.

I got to see the wrong end of an Israeli missile while flying off Lebanon in 1983, but I also got to see the wrong end of a missile fired from a French F-8 Crusader. Those were some really hectic days, and half the time you couldn't keep track of who was shooting at who... not a pleasant experience in an unarmed recon plane.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Bruzilla said:
Damn Skippy!

I like the Israelis. They took a perfectly worthless spit of land and turned it into not only the only functional democracy in the region but also the only one that's making a buck off something besides oil. Unfortunately, it's human nature to seek the lowest common denominator, so the trend is to make Israelis feel bad for being successful rather than push their neighbore to be more successful. Misery does love company.

I got to see the wrong end of an Israeli missile while flying off Lebanon in 1983, but I also got to see the wrong end of a missile fired from a French F-8 Crusader. Those were some really hectic days, and half the time you couldn't keep track of who was shooting at who... not a pleasant experience in an unarmed recon plane.
A pair of Israeli aircraft got to see the wrong side of our cruiser. I was listening on the radio when they miraculiously learned to speak English. :lol:

B

Bruzilla

I also remember when a Turkish frigate saw the wrong end of a missle fired from the USS Saratoga... a ship I had just transferred off of. I don't think anything less of my fellow shipmates for making that mistake.

BTW, on a local note, former Sheriff Vorharr's son, who did the same thing that I did in the Navy, was the first American crewman to get on the deck of that Turkish ship and start helping the injured. He was an AW with the helo squadron embarked on the Sara and jumped from his helo onto the deck while it was still on fire to help move casualties. Damn brave thing to do.