Um... Does my cat have rabies?

maroon2185

Registered (but confused)
My cat was foaming at the mouth this evening. She was fine one minute, then when I went to go outside, she ran up to the door and was foaming at the mouth... She had stopped foaming the first 2 or 3 minutes and was wiping the foam away from her mouth with her paws. I put her in her carrier for about 20 mins and fed her some treats which she ate like normal... then i went outside. There was a little cat out there... not vicious or foaming or anything. a sweet little cat. keep in mind, this is 30 mins. later, so i can't garauntee that this cat was out there with my cat 30 mins earlier.

Is it possible that my cat (who doesn't play with other cats at all and never has) got really worked up to the point that she growled and foamed? Do cats get that freaked out?

Any experienced input would be great.
Thanks.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Let the cat bite you. If you start foaming from the mouth then that means your cat has rabies.:yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
maroon2185 said:
My cat was foaming at the mouth this evening. She was fine one minute, then when I went to go outside, she ran up to the door and was foaming at the mouth... She had stopped foaming the first 2 or 3 minutes and was wiping the foam away from her mouth with her paws. I put her in her carrier for about 20 mins and fed her some treats which she ate like normal... then i went outside. There was a little cat out there... not vicious or foaming or anything. a sweet little cat. keep in mind, this is 30 mins. later, so i can't garauntee that this cat was out there with my cat 30 mins earlier.

Is it possible that my cat (who doesn't play with other cats at all and never has) got really worked up to the point that she growled and foamed? Do cats get that freaked out?

Any experienced input would be great.
Thanks.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I assmue that you never had your cat vaccinated? :dumb:

maroon2185

RoseRed said:
I'm going out on a limb here, but I assmue that you never had your cat vaccinated? :dumb:
Not for a while. I know... thats real bad. It's been about 18 months. I'm kicking myself for it on her behalf. Truly. I feel like a crappy parent.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
The cat probably ate a bug or nibbled on a frog, but if you're brighter than you seem to be, you'll have it at the vet first thing in the morning. :rolleyes:

maroon2185

elaine said:
The cat probably ate a bug or nibbled on a frog, but if you're brighter than you seem to be, you'll have it at the vet first thing in the morning. :rolleyes:
Roger that.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
maroon2185 said:
Not for a while. I know... thats real bad. It's been about 18 months. I'm kicking myself for it on her behalf. Truly. I feel like a crappy parent.

Rabies shots are good for three years, but you should still take the cat in every year.

The early signs of rabies can be fever or headache, but this changes quickly to nervous system signs, such as confusion, sleepiness, or agitation. Once someone with cat rabies infection starts having these symptoms, that person usually does not survive.

Dude... you are doomed...:ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If the cat had rabies, you'd notice that it was sick long before it started foaming.

My boy cat foams when neighbor cats are about - he hates them and is very territorial. Keep an eye on your cat and see what she's like in the morning. If she's still foaming, take her to the vet.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
elaine said:
Rabies shots are good for three years, but you should still take the cat in every year.
Not necessarily. I was a bad Momma and let Jack's lapse. When I took her to the Rabis Clinic for her shots and couldn't produce proof of her last shots, they gave her one that was good for one year. Next year, all I have to show is this years certificate and then she will get the three year shot.

Now, if I had gone to the vet's office they would have that on record and I would have paid a lot more.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
RoseRed said:
Not necessarily. I was a bad Momma and let Jack's lapse. When I took her to the Rabis Clinic for her shots and couldn't produce proof of her last shots, they gave her one that was good for one year. Next year, all I have to show is this years certificate and then she will get the three year shot.

Now, if I had gone to the vet's office they would have that on record and I would have paid a lot more.

Hmm...I don't remember doing that. Maybe Jack got the three year shot the first time. :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
elaine said:
Hmm...I don't remember doing that. Maybe Jack got the three year shot the first time. :shrug:
Probably did, but that was at the vet. As you know, I have since moved and have misplaced the paperwork. I took her to the clinic at the fairgrounds for $10.00 shots vs. the $$$ going to the vet's office for a shot.

maroon2185

BuddyLee said:
1. Running joke.

2. Hasn't been brought up in ages (at least in five 20 page rants).

3. Not in 50 different forums.

4. One is a joke, the other...who knows what.

Shall I continue?
Whats up with your quote? And whats a running joke, etc?

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
elaine said:

Isn't it 1 yr, 1 yr, then 3 years. I'm really sure the first rabies is only good for 1 yr.

K

Katie

Take you cat to the vet and get it checked out. You have to get those shots done, they are done for a reason not just for a vet to make $$. There have been quite a few rabid animals found this year in St. Mary's county. SMAWL just had the last rabies clinic on Monday for the year.