Torture bunker busted

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sure this is our fault somehow. I'm curious when we will butt out and let the Iraqis handle their own prisoners?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
vraiblonde said:
I'm sure this is our fault somehow. I'm curious when we will butt out and let the Iraqis handle their own prisoners?
This can't be good though for Sunni participation in the new government.
They're already "barely" in, and this sort of scandal could push them into revolt.

Not good. Not good at all.
Especially since as I understand the article, some of the captives weren't necessarily insurgents/terrorists.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
sleuth said:
Especially since as I understand the article, some of the captives weren't necessarily insurgents/terrorists.
I must admit I am suspicious of the US media's understanding of what an insurgent or terrorists actually is. And I'm doubly suspicious of the media embellishing prison torture stories. I learned my lesson from Gitmo and Abu Ghraib.

duzzey1a

vraiblonde said:
I must admit I am suspicious of the US media's understanding of what an insurgent or terrorists actually is. And I'm doubly suspicious of the media embellishing prison torture stories. I learned my lesson from Gitmo and Abu Ghraib.

You're right about that. I wonder if things would be different today regarding the war if the media coverage was forbidden. I think the baddies over there are using "our" media to pit us against ourselves. What do ya'll think?

Vince

duzzey1a said:
You're right about that. I wonder if things would be different today regarding the war if the media coverage was forbidden. I think the baddies over there are using "our" media to pit us against ourselves. What do ya'll think?
Maybe someone can refresh my memory, but I seem to recall the media letting troop positions out during Desert Storm that the enemy used against us. Geraldo comes to mind. Anyone recall the incident? :confused:

duzzey1a

Yeah, it was Geraldo. He was making pictures in the sand of where the troop and tank formations were in relation to Bagdad.