Need reliable farrier

Goatlady

Farrier Needed ASAP!
Help Southern Maryland Horse friends... My farrier up and moved without notice! I need someone reliable that shows up 6-8 weeks for trims, 4 horses total in Owings maryland (calvert county).
I was looking for Angus who used to work in Clinton can't locate, know where I can find him?

Can you recommend another farrier in the vicinity?
Was given names of Gardner, Williams and Kloby although I left several messages not even the courtesy of a return call.
Horses need trims badly.

Please reply to
Goatlady
Lyncht@si.edu
Farrier Needed ASAP!
Help Southern Maryland Horse friends... My farrier up and moved without notice! I need someone reliable that shows up 6-8 weeks for trims, 4 horses total in Owings maryland (calvert county).
I was looking for Angus who used to work in Clinton can't locate, know where I can find him?

Can you recommend another farrier in the vicinity?
Was given names of Gardner, Williams and Kloby although I left several messages not even the courtesy of a return call.
Horses need trims badly.

Please reply to
Goatlady
Lyncht@si.edu

W

WildHorses

You may want to contact the following:
Ziegler's Farrier Service
Port Republic, MD
410-586-8056
I got the info from the other thread, but hear he's pretty good and he's close enough to be convenient. :howdy:

W

WildHorses

Goatlady I know this is :offtopic: but do you breed goats in Owings? Just wondering? :howdy:

Goatlady

Where have all the farriers gone...

Thanks everyone for your help!
Now before I get on farriers how in the heck do I work this forum I think I now know how to write but what is a thread and how do I reply? Do I reply to all or only to the person who replied to me?

Here's what I have learned so far about farriers ...

Ziegler wants new clients but his initial visit is $35 per horse for a trim he was quite clear he's doing me a favor with this price to get my business. He also gave me a reference that wasn't kosher, the other farrier never heard of him. Not only is his price out of my range but I prefer honesty.

Angus went back to Scotland comes and goes no longer in Clinton.

Gardner fishes alot when he gets around to you he will call. Probably thinks the same about showing up at appointments.

The others didn't return my call.
I may have to go back to my old farrier who wasn't timely but atleast they stayed on some kind of schedule. Working on pushing my husband to do it on the side thats one appointment I have control over (HA HA)

Yes, I raise pygmy goats as well as pygmy nubian cross. I raise for pets only and they are children, horse, pigs, dogs and cat friendly. My last set of kids were pygmy/nubian cross and I finally got my desired color of red and chocolate brown. This color is rather unique but one of my studs was specifically because he is a registered chocolate pygmy.
More babies on the way if your interested. Not much on grass clipping but they do a good job on leaves, easy to take care of and they really are not interested in your plants or clothes lines.

I will keep all of you up to date on my adventures locating a farrier.
Thanks again, for all your help.

Goatlady

fredsaid2

This recommendation was in the "Good Blacksmith??" thread a few below yours...."Sheila Montgomery, she is in Calvert County and is a wonderful Farrier. Very educated and will be willing to help you with you problem. Please let her know that Don Ziegler has referred her to you and you will get her reduce referal rate. Her phone number is 202-437-7970." Sounds like she'd be close to you.

Goatlady

The farrier saga continues....

I contacted Sheila Montgomery she tried me back once then sent Ziegler my way. Seems she wants to concentrate handling horses with hoof and leg problems now no new client. She gave Ziegler my number he was trying to pick up all the client my previous farrier Gary Dumas, had before he went back to Mass.

I did use Larry Elliott for years he was good just decided one day he didn't want to do this work anymore. After tracking him down 2 different times I gave up. I do see he has an ad for shoeing again just skeptical he wants the work. He did take care of Our Lordships Kindness in Clinton with Angus.

Haven't gotten very good comments on a farrier named Quinn. Feed back has been trimms to close not good work. Comments from several different people.

Doubt anyone in Hughesville is willing to come to my part of Northern Calvert Iam just above the AnneArundel county line.

Goat Lady

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Quinn is not a favorite of mine... He's been the last straw for me..
Over the years of being dissapointed with farriers, except for the rare one or two that aren't taking new clients or not in the area, I learned to trim myself. I don't need shoes on anyone, I won't try that but Mr Shumacher came out the other night to do one of my boarders and I liked his work...Nice guy...his number is on one of the old posts below. I know a wonderful farrier who's done my horses in the far past and I still see him every once in a while but I don't think he will come down here for anyone... Tom Barnes is his name. Good luck!

Goatlady

farrier

Thanks!
I heard Tom Barnes is good also, can't seem to find a working number for him.
I am just over the Calvert line from Anne Arundel and I heard he lives in Harwood or Lothian area. Any idea how I can get a hold of him?
I have a couple of farriers to try farther out but they don't want come to Northern Calvert and if they do they take it out in my hide $$.
Trying them anyway.

Thanks again,

Goat Lady

barncat

appyday said:
Angus is now near Oakridge park...damm I loved that man..

I used Angus for years on my horse and he dropped me also, not totally without reason, but I was a friend, took lessons from Judy for awhile and babysat their kids one summer...

He's a great farrier and in high demand, I will definately try to pursuade him to do my next horse when the time comes. For now he does the one I ride because the owner is very good friends with Angus and Judy.

Anyways as far as farrier's go, I really liked Pat Riffle, he's been mentioned before I think. Very patient and wants to trim the horse correctly.

fredsaid2

barncat said:
Anyways as far as farrier's go, I really liked Pat Riffle, he's been mentioned before I think. Very patient and wants to trim the horse correctly.

I like Pat a lot but the last time I saw him he mentioned wanting to consolidate his business and was letting some on the fringes go. He's worth a call and his number is listed in some of the old posts. A search would bring it up.

shilo

I use Pat Riffle also. He is always on time, I am the one who usually forgets:). He does a good job and the horses behave well for him because he has a good way with them. His number is301-769-3503. Christy

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
fredsaid2 said:
I like Pat a lot but the last time I saw him he mentioned wanting to consolidate his business and was letting some on the fringes go. He's worth a call and his number is listed in some of the old posts. A search would bring it up.
hmm...i must be on the fringe :lol: he came one day, rottncop was in the barn, he never even went back there to see if he was there (you can't miss his huge truck in the driveway), and Pat just left. when i called to see what happened to him (I thoght i'd made a mistake with my dates or something because i didn't know he came), he told me he was there, and i wasn't and i needed to find another farrier! :burning:
SO...nice or not (and he was very nice) i wouldn't recommend him for that reason alone...All things happen for a reason, I LOVE my farrier...Horselady's son. He's da bomb!! :huggy: too bad my daughter's hooked up :lol: a farrier in the family would be real nice....<sigh>

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I thought having a farrier in the family would be nice too - except he is soooo busy our horses are THE LAST to get done!!! Hubby had to take my mare to Rufus a few weeks ago to get shoes! Although, I think if you were dating him it would take precidence over home too! I never imagined he would be so booked. I have started to threaten to lock the fridge until our horses are done. :banghead:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Horselady...he can come raid MY fridge...:lol:
Appyday...YES, and he's very sweet too. Not often seen in one SO young ('cept my own). :biggrin:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Has anyone ever heard of or used LARRY ELLIOTT???? There are many people out there that do basic trims and shoeing, but hard to find someone that knows how to do corrective shoeing and Show Hunters. Any feedback would be appreciated. :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
BZHorseMomE said:
Has anyone ever heard of or used LARRY ELLIOTT???? There are many people out there that do basic trims and shoeing, but hard to find someone that knows how to do corrective shoeing and Show Hunters. Any feedback would be appreciated. :howdy:

corrective shoeing and Show Hunters = Angus White..

Veritas-Farm

happyappygirl said:
I LOVE my farrier...Horselady's son. He's da bomb!! :huggy: too bad my daughter's hooked up :lol: a farrier in the family would be real nice....<sigh>

I too use Tim (Horselady's son) and he is GREAT!

Goatlady

Reliable farrier?? Lary Elliott

Yes, I used Larry for years apx 8+ he was good but then he stopped coming, missing appointments, never calling to cancel I liked him so much I went to his residence to check on him all I got from our meeting was he was tired of shoeing and just didn't feel like doing it anymore said, he was just too old. I am only 15 minutes from his residence and had the same two horses for years with no vices also had a neighbor behind me with 2 horses that was going to use him don't think it was the fact that their wasn't enough money in coming out to my farm. As far as appointments go, I can work around any farriers schedule if I know in advance or have the courtesy of a phone call.
Anyway if Lary straightened himself out he would be a choice if he hasn't be prepared for a no show.

Tina
Goat Lady

jwilley

Walker
Horselady, my fridge is always open for Tim also....you should be very proud of him, very professional, always on time, the horses love him and we are very pleased with his work.... and what a very polite, sweet guy he is...too bad I don't have a daughter and my grand daughter is only 9

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Farrier

Hi Horselady,

Could you PM you sons name and phone #. I have clients in Calvert and St. Mary's that are looking for a good farrier that is reliable and comes when he suppose to. Some of the horses need corrective work and others just maintance for the Hunter Show Ring. Look forward to hearing from you. :howdy: