Legal or Not... Your Thoughts Please

B

Bruzilla

A detective from the Clay County Sherriff's Office left a message on my phone today indicating that he had interviewed my youngest son at his high school this afternoon. He said that he had received word that my son might know someone who was involved with an act of vandalism that occured at another school some weeks ago. When my son got back from school he told me that the detective had had him called in at the school and "talked" to him about the incident at the other school.

At that point I called the detective, and he told me that my son was not a suspect and that the only reason that he had called my son in was that someone had told him that he had heard my son saying that he knew someone who knew someone who might be involved. He told me that he had called me after the interview and had left a message, which I told him I had received, and I told him that I had no problems with him asking my son for the information. I also told him that if I heard anything about the crime that I would forward the info along to him.

I then went and talked to my son and told him that the police didn't suspect him of doing anything wrong and that they had only called him in to ask him about who he knew that might know more. My son then told me that that was not what the detective had asked him about. He told me that the detective had asked him several questions that implied he was a suspect, such as:

"Why do you think that I had you called in here?"
"There's a lot that's been going on and what do you know about it?"
"Do you know how severe the punishment for this crime is?"
"Would you be willing to submit to a polygraph?"
"We got fingerprints and shoe tracks from the crime scene, and is there any reason to believe they might be yours?"

These questions seemed a far cry different from the "can you tell us who you heard might be involved" questions the detective had told me about, and seemed to be more of an open-ended fishing expedition that a simple request for information, so I called the detective back and told him that his account of the interview differed quite a bit from my son's without offering any details... in short I ran the "I Know What You Did" trick on him. The detective immediately went into defensive mode and started telling me that he only asked "those types of questions" as a means to determine an emotional state for the person he is questioning (in short to see if they get nervous or defensive) and that he asks those types of questions of everyone he talks to. At this point I hadn't asked about any specific questions, but he knew exactly which questions I had a concern with. I told him that in my opinion he had violated my minor son's rights by questioning him about a possible crime without the consent or presence of a parent or a lawyer.

His response was that he had never asked any accusatory questions, but in my opinion his definition of an accusatory question might be fine when dealing with adults but asking open-ended, leading, questions of a 16-year old who's been drug in out of class with no explanation is not right. I felt that I should have been called prior to the interview, not afterwards. The detective tried to use the dodge that they only wanted to ask my son about if he did know someone who might be involved, but that was not the nature of the questions. He then tried to dodge the issue by repeatedly assuring me that my son was not a suspect, which I said made no difference in this situation. Basically, if you are going to ask a minor child questions that are designed to coerce an incriminating statement from them, a parent or lawyer needs to be present.

Getting nowhere with the detective I asked to speak to his supervisor, who in short told me that there are no "Florida" laws that prohibit the police from pulling in a minor and questioning them without a parent or lawyer, which I find very, very, hard to believe, but I think is also a violation of the 5th ammendment. He told me that they can talk to any minor about anything, without anyone's presence, to which I told him that if that's true I doubt there are many parents that know that.

I'm going to talk to the principal at the school tommorrow and get some feedback from him, then I'm going to the Jacksonville newspaper and some of the TV stations to see if they'll raise this issue and inform parents that they're kids are leaving more of their rights at the bus stop.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
1) Your son is 16. He isn't a minor in every state.

2) They just don't have a right to require answers, but they can question your kid anytime they want. Only a few states have laws saying children can not be questioned without an adult present. Your son just has the right to not answer and have a lawyer or parent present if he wishes.

3) Obviously the police officer had what he thought was good reason to question your son. He did what he should do - check to see if the kid knew something.. kids don't tell the truth when they know something. He tested your kid to see if he acted guilty. If your son knew of a crime, the officer needs to investigate. Your son is 16... he should be old enough to handle simple questioning.

Here is a quote from Law for Kids:
Where the suspect is under age 18, the officers should be careful to advise the child of his or her rights, including the right to have a parent present during questioning. The officer should be careful not to intimidate the child during questioning. A judge can decide later that the child was questioned improperly, and that can result in the statements being thrown out. If the judge decides the questioning was proper, the statements can still be used even if the child wasn't advised of their rights.

So, the only time the officer really has to worry is if he charged your kid based on what he said...

I know its your child and you want to be a protective parent, but police officers have a job to do and this officer did his. If you son had been 8-10, I might have felt a little more for the situation, but even then, the police officer is within their rights. However, a 16 year old is at an age to accept full responsibility for his actions and what he knows.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Bruzilla said:
A detective from the Clay County Sherriff's Office left a message on my phone today indicating that he had interviewed my youngest son at his high school this afternoon. He said that he had received word that my son might know someone who was involved with an act of vandalism that occured at another school some weeks ago. When my son got back from school he told me that the detective had had him called in at the school and "talked" to him about the incident at the other school.

At that point I called the detective, and he told me that my son was not a suspect and that the only reason that he had called my son in was that someone had told him that he had heard my son saying that he knew someone who knew someone who might be involved. He told me that he had called me after the interview and had left a message, which I told him I had received, and I told him that I had no problems with him asking my son for the information. I also told him that if I heard anything about the crime that I would forward the info along to him.

I then went and talked to my son and told him that the police didn't suspect him of doing anything wrong and that they had only called him in to ask him about who he knew that might know more. My son then told me that that was not what the detective had asked him about. He told me that the detective had asked him several questions that implied he was a suspect, such as:

"Why do you think that I had you called in here?"
"There's a lot that's been going on and what do you know about it?"
"Do you know how severe the punishment for this crime is?"
"Would you be willing to submit to a polygraph?"
"We got fingerprints and shoe tracks from the crime scene, and is there any reason to believe they might be yours?"

Hey Bruzilla, here is my opinion for what it's worth. My hubby is a cop, and I work for a private school. It sounds like the cop was a little too hard. Unfortunatly, he probably had some background info, whether it was gossip or not, and he thought your son was involved. I would hate to think he would use this the words he did if he thought your son was innocent. I would probably not be too upset, at 16 years old he should be mature enough to handle it. Who knows? Maybe it will scare him enough that he will not even speed in a car!! Secondly, coming from a private school's perspective, we would never allow this to happen without a staff member present. Period.

B

Bruzilla

Thank you for your comments, and for the record in Florida he is a minor, and he was never informed of his rights, nor of his ability to request that a parent be present. Also, he was brought into a room with two police officers and no school officials present, which is intimidating to say the least.

Here's a complete list of the questions asked:

1. Full name, age, and address
2. When was the last time you ate?
3. When was the last time you slept, and how long did you sleep?
4. Do you have any idea why we're asking you questions?
5. Where were you the night of the incident?
6. What do you know about the incident?
7. Why do you think they vandalized the school, and do you think the damage was intentional?
8. Have you ever thought about how to pull off such a crime?
9. Have you ever fantisized about vanadalizing something?
10. Can you think of anyone in your neighborhood who would would commit this crime?
11. Who do you think wouldn't do it?
12. We didn't just pull your name out of a hat, so why do you think someone would have given us your name?
13. What do you think the penalty should be for this crime?
14. Do you think they should go to prison or pay for the damages?
15. Is there anyone in the neighborhood who looks like you and that someone might mistake you for?
16. Are there any other kids named Chris who might commit this crime?
17. We found fingerprints and shoe prints at the scene, and would you be willing to let us take your fingerprints?
18. Have you ever heard of a polygraph test and would you be willing to take one?
19. If you took a polygraph what do you think the results would be?
20. There might have been eyewitnesses to the crime, and if you we're in a line-up do you think that you might get picked out?
21. How do you think you're name was brought up?

They finished the interview by saying "we're not saying you are involved in this crime, but we're not sure you aren't. And this dicussion is strictly between us and the walls, and do not discuss what we've asked you with anyone outside of this room."

Now, going back to what the detective told me, the only reason they wanted to talk to my son was because someone had told them that they had heard him say that he knew someone who knew someone who was involved (which turned out to not be the case. All my son knew was what everyone else in the neighborhood had heard.) Based on the questions that we're asked, I would say that what the detective told me was a bold-faced lie. They were not asking him about if he knew who might be involved, they were asking him questions designed to make him think they knew he was involved and to trick him into confessing something if he was guilty, which is a far cry different from just finding out what he has heard about the crime. In my opinion the interview was a clear violation of our rights.

And... they asked these questions to a kid with zero history of getting into any trouble at home or at school, in a closed room with two cops and no advocates, and without advising him of his rights. They then told him not to discuss what they had talked about with anyone outside of the three of them. Now these actions might be technically legal, but if they are I don't think they should be. I've raised my kids to respect the law and the police, and when an azzhole like this pulls a stunt like this, it does nothing but cause my son and others to distrust the cops.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Agreed...........too over the top with the questioning. It is unreal that an administrative staff member or a guidance counsler did not sit in. It was probably either a rookie cop or a hard nosed veteran that deals with nothing but punks all day. If you did not get anywhere with the supervisor, keep moving up the chain. Someone will listen. Good luck to you!! I hope your son does not think all cops are bad. Just remind him there is good and bad in every profession.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I dont agree...I know when i was in high school...if you read all the fine prints that schools have, that is allowed....he can be questioned and all that...but at 16..your gonna lie to your parents and tell them ANYTHING you can to stay out of trouble...Im not saying your son did it, but I am saying that if he was questioned, he does know who did it, or seen or talks to whomever did it....dont let your son slip a fast one on ya.....I know when i was 16, I would always change the story on what my teachers had asked/told me than what they actually said.....but, I dont feel the cops were to aggressive or anything...they didnt force him to tlak, and they didn threaten to lock him up, I feel thats there job to make you feel nervous, and try and make you crack and tell them what they need to know....

JUS my opinion......I could be wrong bout it.....but, I dont think they done wrong by questioning your son like that

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Teach your child to learn to exercise his right to refuse to answer any questions and request a lawyer or a parents be present.

slik

OK - this seems to be dealing with vandalism - so maybe the questioning was a little harsh. On the other hand - suppose the crime was a death of another teen, the police have no suspects but heard a rumor that another teen might have information - would you feel that questioning like that is justified ?
At the same time, understand that at 16 years old a teen has a vivid imagination based on the lines of questioning from a parent they can "bend" the facts some. For instance my son was having a problem with a neighbor's son who is older. The neighbor's son threatened to kick my son's butt because of something he said. When I questioned my son further it went from a simple threat to a gang chasing him thru the neighborhood. Danger behind every corner. I was ready to call the cops. When in fact the neighbor's son forgot all about it the next day and he and my son talk like friends that never missed a beat. I realized it was MY questioning and parental concerns that was causing my son to inflate the details.
I'm not saying your son if like that and I'm not justifing the police's possible line of questioning. I'm just mentioning that at 16 - some times the facts can get inflated.
If nothing else be happy that this situation has enlightened you to the possibility that your son may be hanging with a crowd that might be trouble. Then again - at that age, a "friend's friend of a friend" - when talking to another teen - could easily just mean that your son has heard of a kid that supposedly did something, somewhere.
Personally - I'd let it go.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Ken King said:
Teach your child to learn to exercise his right to refuse to answer any questions and request a lawyer or a parents be present.

Refusing makes you sound guilty....I dont think thats a good idea...

SmallTown

Football season!
I thought you were a republican, Bru? You should be all for authorities doing whatever they can to solve a crime.

I'm surprised that the detective would give you the full list of questions he asked. Did he also give you the answers your son gave?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Softballkid said:
Refusing makes you sound guilty....I dont think thats a good idea...
Really? How does exercising a Constitutional right to have representation present during questioning makes one sound guilty?

Otter

Nothing to see here
Never should have happened, the school SHOULD NOT have allowed it in the first place. Its one thing for an administrator to ask questions about something to do with school, quite another for the cops to use a school to interview students as if it was a clearing house for info.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Well, if schools havent changed, they now have cops in schools, and they have all the rights as an admin. person, they can question and comment freely on subjects of that matter.... and it has nothing to do with exercising a constitutional right...at 16, if you refuse to answer any questions on that matter, it makes you sound guilty....so when your kid is 16, and you start asking him questions about stuff he has done, and he tells you he aint answering because he dont have to, your just gonna sit there an be like "d*mn, he's right", I dont think so...Im jus saying, that if he didnt do it, he shouldn of had problems answering any questions, and if you need to use your constitutional rights at 16...somethigs wrong there anyway

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Ken King said:
Really? How does exercising a Constitutional right to have representation present during questioning makes one sound guilty?
:yeahthat:

Representation is always a good idea.
A skilled interrogator can lure you into answering in a way you didn't intend to.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
But what Im gettin at, is why at 16, if you didnt do it, why do you need representation?? I dont understand that...Im 21, bout to be 22....Im just askin..I mean, in my mind, I dont think you need representation at 16 for something you didn do...

Otter

Nothing to see here
Softballkid said:
Well, if schools havent changed, they now have cops in schools, and they have all the rights as an admin. person, they can question and comment freely on subjects of that matter.... and it has nothing to do with exercising a constitutional right...at 16, if you refuse to answer any questions on that matter, it makes you sound guilty....so when your kid is 16, and you start asking him questions about stuff he has done, and he tells you he aint answering because he dont have to, your just gonna sit there an be like "d*mn, he's right", I dont think so...Im jus saying, that if he didnt do it, he shouldn of had problems answering any questions, and if you need to use your constitutional rights at 16...somethigs wrong there anyway

In a perfect world, I would tend to agree with you. BUT, owing to the fact that the cop called Bru and said he just asked him a few questions on whether he knew anything about this vandalism then Bru came to find out that wasn't what really came down after his son informed him of what was asked. I'm sorry, cops do not have a right to play word/psych games with kids, especially at a school. If Bru's sons name came up during their investigation of something that happened some amount of weeks previous, why the hell couldn't they go to Bru's home and question him?? Could it be that they wanted to play an intimidation game with him?? Cops were totally off base with this, as was the school.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
otter said:
In a perfect world, I would tend to agree with you. BUT, owing to the fact that the cop called Bru and said he just asked him a few questions on whether he knew anything about this vandalism then Bru came to find out that wasn't what really came down after his son informed him of what was asked. I'm sorry, cops do not have a right to play word/psych games with kids, especially at a school. If Bru's sons name came up during their investigation of something that happened some amount of weeks previous, why the hell couldn't they go to Bru's home and question him?? Could it be that they wanted to play an intimidation game with him?? Cops were totally off base with this, as was the school.

Well, how do you know for sure, not saying he lied, but how do you know 100% sure that her son didnt make up some of it...and tell exagerate a lil...I was 16 5-6 years ago, I know 16 yrs do it....I mean, when i was in school, cops were allowed to question you at any time if your name came up when something happened...i.e food fight, vandilism, property damage, smokin in the bathroom....... you didnt have to do it, but if your name came up, you got questioned....

But since we dont live in a perfect world, I dont see how the cops are wrong for questioning whomever the feel to need to question...

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Softballkid said:
But what Im gettin at, is why at 16, if you didnt do it, why do you need representation?? I dont understand that...Im 21, bout to be 22....Im just askin..I mean, in my mind, I dont think you need representation at 16 for something you didn do...
You do not need legal representation, but an outside objective person, like a staff member, would have been acceptable. You have two police officers and one 16 year old child, who is going to believe who if the police take something this child said out of context? I personally would never talk to a student, especially a minor, in complete private, no matter what the issue was.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
harleygirl said:
You do not need legal representation, but an outside objective person, like a staff member, would have been acceptable. You have two police officers and one 16 year old child, who is going to believe who if the police take something this child said out of context? I personally would never talk to a student, especially a minor, in complete private, no matter what the issue was.

I understand that.... but I never had a teacher do that...if something happened, the teacher would pull us out of the classroom and ask us, if they didnt like what they heard, we were sent to the vice-principal... and if it still wasnt accepted, you went to the cop....thats how it worked when I was in school...an I graduated in 01, so I dont know how much has changed in these few years...

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
But Im not blaming the mother for being questionable, or worried/protective, I understand thats what parents do...my parents were the same way with me...but, I dont think that the cops were wrong with questioning him.. but I understand that it wouldn have hurt to have a teacher or principal in the room also....I think it could go either way...