FYI--Charles county schools closing early

slik

Ya know - when I was a kids they never had early closures for snow - heck we would have to trench our way out of the school because the snow was piled high on the door - then walk home thru the snow, for miles, up and down hills, with no shoes on, and in our underwear just to be fed a slice of toast and some luke warm soup - before we went out to do our chores. What are they afraid the little kiddies will catch cold ? Kids these days don't know how good they have it.
Then again we didn't have crack when I was a kids either.........

Actually - after seeing how the people around here drive when it snows - it's probably a good ideal to get them home early.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Breaking News Update

BREAKING NEWS
Charles County Public Schools will be closing two hours early. All afternoon activities and classes have been cancelled. CSM will also likely be cancelling all afternoon and evening classes.

Phone lines in La Plata High School are jammed and phones in the schools have been going in and out - as of 10:25 am, lines are up and fully operational but still glitchy.

The decision was made to close schools as of 10:08 am ET.

The decision is supposed to be made before 10 am to prevent any crisis.

Afternoon North Point (Votech) class is cancelled - North Point (Votech) students are permitted to leave early (after lunch).

7th period lunch for La Plata High School cannot be fit into a schedule and those students will have to eat at home.

I'll have more details as they become avalible.

Vince

slik said:
Actually - after seeing how the people around here drive when it snows - it's probably a good ideal to get them home early.
:yeahthat: I guess I can anticipate sitting in traffic for the bridge tonight. Bad enough on dry roads or rain, but put snow on the ground and there will be 10 accidents on the bridge to delay things.

slik

My heart goes out to ya. Can't pay me enough to have to cross that bridge everyday.

Key word is patience - and Good Luck

AndyMarquisLIVE

Breaking News Update

NEW DEVELOPMENT
The decision to close schools was debated and made after 10 am because of factors of improbablities in the forecast.

Also, phone lines are down again here, we can't pick up phone calls - the phone's just ringing and ringing and we can't answer them. We had to resort to use of a celluar phone here.

AndyMarquisLIVE

I guess I can anticipate sitting in traffic for the bridge tonight. Bad enough on dry roads or rain, but put snow on the ground and there will be 10 accidents on the bridge to delay things.
You're right though

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
slik said:
Ya know - when I was a kids they never had early closures for snow - heck we would have to trench our way out of the school because the snow was piled high on the door - then walk home thru the snow, for miles, up and down hills, with no shoes on, and in our underwear just to be fed a slice of toast and some luke warm soup - before we went out to do our chores. What are they afraid the little kiddies will catch cold ? Kids these days don't know how good they have it.

The irony is that most kids will be outside playing in it after they get home which shows that they can handle it. I remember the last company I worked for would always let us go home right when the heaviest snow began :confused:

CarolG

slik said:

You might be kidding but I do remember having to get let off at the entrance to our neighborhood because there was a big hill the buses couldn't make it back up. We loved it though we would get all excited. I don't ever remember them closing schools because they WERE CALLING for snow. more people sue now days though.