Unimpressed by MDOT

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Yesterday evening I was on the way home and decided to take Rte 5 instead of Rte 4 (bridge) and I did not see any salt trucks out doing their do as I drove from Waldorf to Lex Pk, oh except at the Shell Gas station right before Hughesville where they were in droves just sitting and waiting.

The roads were manageable, probably since I had just got new tires yesterday but if I hadn't I wonder what would have been my experience. I did however see a red car in the median near Sandgates. The story behind that seems scary.

Glad everyone seems to have made it home safely. BTW, when can I expect the streets to be cleaned on tomorrow morning, I am not going in on today.

Any bridge stories?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
LexiGirl75 said:
BTW, when can I expect the streets to be cleaned on tomorrow morning, I am not going in on today.
For the most part, the streets are fine. I had no problem driving home from Wildewood to Lexington Park last night. It took about 10 minutes longer, but that's about it.

Nothing major to report this morning that I saw. However, I did hear Rt. 4/Indian Bridge was a mess.

SeaRide

Drove home from PAX to near Dunkirk on RT 4 not a problem at all .. saw many salt/plow trucks out spreading and working the road.
I guess I am lucky where I live since the backroads are cleared by plowtrucks (last night and earlier this morning)
This morning .. easy drive to work. There's nothing exciting on the Thomas Johnson bridge to write about.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Most of the streets are very well, but St. andrews is a mess still, so they were workin on gettin a truck or two back on it...an accident happened eaarlier, and then someone ran into the cop car that was at the scene, so it took that for them to decide to run the trucks through there again..other than that, I live in upper Hollywood, and work on PAX, didn have no trouble gettin here...

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Chasey_Lane said:
For the most part, the streets are fine. I had no problem driving home from Wildewood to Lexington Park last night. It took about 10 minutes longer, but that's about it.

Nothing major to report this morning that I saw. However, I did hear Rt. 4/Indian Bridge was a mess.

My community as usual is not cleared, I don't know about the side streets around here but I dont really plan to travel on any. One thing that impressed me last year is that Rte 235 was all good from here to Waldorf.

Glad for the base and it's commuting employees because I wonder would that road be cleared if no one had to get to the base. :ohwell:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
LexiGirl75 said:
My community as usual is not cleared, I don't know about the side streets around here but I dont really plan to travel on any. One thing that impressed me last year is that Rte 235 was all good from here to Waldorf.

Glad for the base and it's commuting employees because I wonder would that road be cleared if no one had to get to the base. :ohwell:

Yeah, side streets are always last...and then it depends if its a state road or county road, county roads, anyone can plow just about..(that gets paid to plow atleast) but state roads are supposed to be done by state imployees...so they sometiems take longer to get to

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
What I did learn this year though, is that when you shovel your driveway, or plow your own driveway, you have to leave snow at the end on the road, it is illegal to clear that part, or if you have a ditch you wanna go straight across the road into, your not allowed to go across the road plowing....since it clears the road, and if someone comes along plowing the road road, and hits the bare spot, it can tare the vehicle and plow up... I thought that was kinda interestng...and I didnt know that...cuz I always plowed my driveway across the street into my neighbors ditch, then this year I found out I cant do that no more

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
LexiGirl75 said:
Glad everyone seems to have made it home safely. BTW, when can I expect the streets to be cleaned on tomorrow morning, I am not going in on today.
Learn how to drive.
Next time it snows, hit a parking lot and find ou what your car will do in a low traction situation. Get comfortable with recovering from a slide.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
aps45819 said:
Learn how to drive.
Next time it snows, hit a parking lot and find ou what your car will do in a low traction situation. Get comfortable with recovering from a slide.

:nono: I am still paying for the car, can't experiment just yet. But I did well yesterday, really didn't believe new tires were going to make me feel so secure but they did. :dance:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
aps45819 said:
Learn how to drive.

That is good advice. I have been doing that since I was 15 years old and I always thought it was just horse playing. But I always feel comfortable in low traction conditions not over confident though. :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
LexiGirl75 said:
:nono: I am still paying for the car, can't experiment just yet. But I did well yesterday, really didn't believe new tires were going to make me feel so secure but they did. :dance:
That's why you go to a parking lot. Get up to about 20-25mph and turn the wheel. Find out what will happen and find out how to recover control.
What are you driving? does it have traction control, ABS, front, rear or all whell drive?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's a bit slick back here in Wildewood, but the main roads are fine.

Dontcha know it... I go to Starbucks and get to work and as I am taking my coat off the plumber calls and he is at my house waiting for me, so I am back home again. :ohwell:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Dougstermd said:
That is good advice. I have been doing that since I was 15 years old and I always thought it was just horse playing. But I always feel comfortable in low traction conditions not over confident though. :yay:
I think it's about the best thing you can do. I'd rather have a refresher course in snow driving than a crash course :lol:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
aps45819 said:
That's why you go to a parking lot. Get up to about 20-25mph and turn the wheel. Find out what will happen and find out how to recover control.
What are you driving? does it have traction control, ABS, front, rear or all whell drive?

That sounds scary, anyway you look at it. I actually saw someone do that last year on our street with a pickup truck. At first I thought they were having a tough time getting back in control but then I realize they were laughing. Was that the low traction test? I dont think I have ABS, I only remember it saying I have power assisted brakes.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I have to say that after many years of having a very poor opinion of MDOT, I think they've improved a lot and are doing a good job with the resources they have. Just my coupla shekels.

Qurious

Im On 1.
Im unimpressed by ARMC...i fell this morning. They better be glad I didnt get injured like I did when I was 12 and got a settlement of 10k on my 18th birthday.

aps45819 said:
I did find out my truck has a skid alarm while doing that. It went something like. STOP THAT YOU IDIOT!!!! Next time I'll leave the wife home. :lmao:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
LexiGirl75 said:
That sounds scary, anyway you look at it. I actually saw someone do that last year on our street with a pickup truck. At first I thought they were having a tough time getting back in control but then I realize they were laughing. Was that the low traction test? I dont think I have ABS, I only remember it saying I have power assisted brakes.

No that was Elvis looking for some doghnuts. :killingme

Pete

Repete
RoseRed said:
It's a bit slick back here in Wildewood, but the main roads are fine.

Dontcha know it... I go to Starbucks and get to work and as I am taking my coat off the plumber calls and he is at my house waiting for me, so I am back home again. :ohwell:
:codeword: :rolleyes: