Wood Stove Insert - help???

D

dems4me

OK, with the price of gas escalating, my friend has been despeartely searching for a used fireplace/woodstove insert with a blower and glass doors... I too have been looking to help her out too, on ebay, somdclassifieds, washingtonpost classifieds, farmersmarket, yardsales, pennysaver, etc... but to no avail. So my last option now is to ask you guys if any of y'all know someone selling a woodstove/fireplace insert meeting this description and a 35" face/front or smaller. I even referred her to the classifieds but everytime she looks its too late. She's willing to pay good money for one of these and haul it off the premises. Anyone know of anyone wanting Christmas money and doesn't use theirs?
:flowers: :huggy: :flowers: :huggy: :flowers: :huggy: :flowers: :huggy:

D

dems4me

also any other suggestions for looking for one that me or her hasn't thought of would be greatly appreciated too!!! Thanks!

:huggy: :flowers: :huggy: :flowers: :huggy:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
dems4me said:
OK, with the price of gas escalating, my friend has been despeartely searching for a used fireplace/woodstove insert with a blower and glass doors... I too have been looking to help her out too, on ebay, somdclassifieds, washingtonpost classifieds, farmersmarket, yardsales, pennysaver, etc... but to no avail. So my last option now is to ask you guys if any of y'all know someone selling a woodstove/fireplace insert meeting this description and a 35" face/front or smaller. I even referred her to the classifieds but everytime she looks its too late. She's willing to pay good money for one of these and haul it off the premises. Anyone know of anyone wanting Christmas money and doesn't use theirs?
:flowers: :huggy: :flowers: :huggy: :flowers: :huggy: :flowers: :huggy:

Has she considered buying new?

OldHillcrestGuy

Don't know if it might help or not but maybe checking with someplace like Tri-County Hearth and Patio to see if they might have any used one's around. Maybe someone may have replaced there wood insert with pellet insert, my co-worker did just that, but I dont think he is ready to give up the wood insert, because his pellet insert had to be ordered and it may not be in till late January. I bought a pellet stove because of the oil cost rising. I was lucky for the fact Tri-County had my stove in stock, my wait was for the hearth to come in, was told maybe 4-6 weeks it was in within 2 weeks and if we hadnt gone out of town during Thanksgving I could of had everything installed within 3 weeks, now it will be put in this Saturday just over 4 weeks.

D

dems4me

OldHillcrestGuy said:
Don't know if it might help or not but maybe checking with someplace like Tri-County Hearth and Patio to see if they might have any used one's around. Maybe someone may have replaced there wood insert with pellet insert, my co-worker did just that, but I dont think he is ready to give up the wood insert, because his pellet insert had to be ordered and it may not be in till late January. I bought a pellet stove because of the oil cost rising. I was lucky for the fact Tri-County had my stove in stock, my wait was for the hearth to come in, was told maybe 4-6 weeks it was in within 2 weeks and if we hadnt gone out of town during Thanksgving I could of had everything installed within 3 weeks, now it will be put in this Saturday just over 4 weeks.

that sounds awesome, I'll pass on the info. I didn't look there because I thought they'd all be new! Thanks soo much!! :huggy:

D

dems4me

Dupontster said:
Has she considered buying new?

thank you too for the input, but she's holding out on getting a new one because they are very expensive - 1500-2800.00. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Why not just build a fire in the fireplace. You can use a fan to move the air around.

:gossip:You can show her how to light it.

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
Why not just build a fire in the fireplace. You can use a fan to move the air around.

:gossip:You can show her how to light it.

it needs an insert... the smoke just flows all throughout the house. She knows first hand how I am around propane/butane. She was there at the time. :lol:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
it needs an insert... the smoke just flows all throughout the house. She knows first hand how I am around propane/butane. She was there at the time. :lol:
Sounds like a blocked chimney or the damper is shut.

D

dems4me

Ken King said:

No, sometimes there's a downdraft and it blows smoke terribly into the house and adjacent rooms

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Ken King said:
:yeahthat: If the chimny isn't drawing with a fire in the fireplace, it won't work any better with an insert.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
dems4me said:
No, sometimes there's a downdraft and it blows smoke terribly into the house and adjacent rooms
It will do the same thing with a stove or insert. There's a problem with the chimny.

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
:yeahthat: If the chimny isn't drawing with a fire in the fireplace, it won't work any better with an insert.

It is getting drawl, about 70 percent worth... no blockage at all, you can get on the roof and look down, its clear... the smoke goes both up the chimney and out the front of the fireplace at the same time.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
If the smoke goes through the house, better have the chimney looked at before any fires, insert or not. The flue may be stuck or clogged or the chimney may not have been built correctly in the first place. There is a right way and a wrong way; you don't just throw up a bunch of bricks.

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
It will do the same thing with a stove or insert.

no, with an insert it will fit snug and there will be a door... and with the door shut, it can actually have a blower that blows the heat out (not the smoke)

D

dems4me

2ndAmendment said:
If the smoke goes through the house, better have the chimney looked at before any fires, insert or not. The flue may be stuck or clogged or the chimney may not have been built correctly in the first place. There is a right way and a wrong way; you don't just throw up a bunch of bricks.

thanks 2A its an old house. but its clear from top to bottom, the previous ownes had an insert with no problems, but took it with them.

dems4me said:
It is getting drawl, about 70 percent worth... no blockage at all, you can get on the roof and look down, its clear... the smoke goes both up the chimney and out the front of the fireplace at the same time.
Dems, I'm assuming you are talking about that "historic" house in Hughesville. If the chimney is as old as the house, it may be in need of repair, and it could be dangerous to try to use it if it's not working properly...:frown:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
dems4me said:
:confused: that woud require a source of air coming into the middle of the chimny.

D

dems4me

kwillia said:
Dems, I'm assuming you are talking about that "historic" house in Hughesville. If the chimney is as old as the house, it may be in need of repair, and it could be dangerous to try to use it if it's not working properly...:frown:

yes, thats the one... for a couple of hundred of years, folks always used this fireplace, as it was the main source of heat before central air, but it has been checked and professional said it needs an insert. :shrug: All I was doing was trying to find an insert for my friend :frown:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If you aren't getting a decent draw from the chimney and you can get on the roof and look down it then the chimney is probably too short.