Cats - The Experience

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Last night, I went to see Cats at the France-Merrick Performance Arts Center at the Hippodrome in Baltimore. It's a beautifully restored theater built in 1914 in downtown at the corner of Eutaw and Baltimore Streets, just a couple of blocks away from Ravens Stadium.

We left around 3:15, expecting to hit traffic, and hit NONE other than a brief slowdown merging onto I-97 and arrived around 5:15. We parked about a block away in one of the many parking garages nearby and strolled the streets to the theater. We were WAY early and popped into Starbucks across the street and sipped on yummy Cinnamon Dolce Lattes until the theater opened. Dinner was at the small cafe in the building called The Hipp Place and was mucho yummy. :yum:

We strolled around the lobby enjoying the sights and reading about the history of the theater, ignoring the overpriced souvenirs (I still have the t-shirt I bought about 15 years ago when I first saw the play) except for a program - a bargain at $10. :rolleyes: The doors finally opened at 7:30 and we found our seats in the second row and on the aisle. :yay: We chatted with our friendly neighbors until the house lights dimmed a bit after 8.

The music swelled, the lights illuminated the stage, the fog machines created atmosphere, and some of the actors appeared in the audience from the side. The action began on the stage as Cats began popping out of the various openings in the scenery for the grand first act. Then something strange happened. We began noticing lights and sirens from the back of the theater and an automated voice booming out. The special effects had tripped the fire alarms in the building. The stage manager stopped the show and told everyone to remain seated while they checked out the problem. Twenty minutes later after assuring us it was a false alarm, they began the show again. Less than a minute into it, the alarms go off again. Again, the show was stopped, the house lights brought up, and they went to check the building out. This delay lasted a good 35 minutes as the fire marshals tried to determine the cause. Finally, the all clear was sounded, people returned to their seats, and they began the show again - this time for good - a good hour late. :rolleyes:

It is an awesome spectacle of music and dance. :clap: It was incredible being so close to the stage, where you could see every detail but you had to dodge the occasional flying sweat and spit from the actors. The first hour flew by, a shortened intermission, then the second half continued. Everyone sat enthralled in their seat. Alas, it was over too soon and we left around 11:15. Then the next adventure began when trying to get out of the parking garage. One harried attendant, broken/jammed exit gates, and dipsticks who didn't listen to the directions about paying BEFORE you got back into your car lead to a 20 minute wait trying to exit. We finally got out and on the road, trying to find our way out of the city. The street signs suck and I missed the turn onto Baltimore Street and went around the block, vainly trying to find more signs telling us how to get to 295. By happy accident, the street I picked turned into 295 and we cruised home with very light traffic, but awful rain and fog along the way. We finally pulled into the driveway just a little bit shy of 2 am.

If you ever get the chance to see Cats...GO! The music from Andrew Lloyd Webber is incredible, the costumes and set design superb, and the talent of the dancers/singers was amazing. The Hippodrome is spectacular with its beautiful restored interior with soaring painted ceilings and incredible architecture. It's easy to get to and has ample parking close by. Two thumbs way up. :yay: :yay:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Wonderful post!

I saw Cats years ago with my mom. I still remember the magic. Course it wasn't me that had to drive out of NY either.:shrug:

I'm going to see Wicked at The Kennedy Center Monday night. Can't wait!

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I've seen Cats several times and almost bought tickets for it again - the kids have always wanted to see it. Unfortunately we were already "booked" with other things every night. I hope it comes back around - possibly to National Theater, which is where I was able to catch it before.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
MysticalMom said:
Wonderful post!
:blushing: Thank you.

I saw Cats years ago with my mom. I still remember the magic. Course it wasn't me that had to drive out of NY either.:shrug:
It is magical. I'm so glad I got to see it again. I wouldn't want to drive out of NY either. Baltimore was bad enough. :lol:

I'm going to see Wicked at The Kennedy Center Monday night. Can't wait!
You lucky dog! That's supposed to be THE play to see and tickets are hard to come by. I tried to find some with no luck and I wasn't going to pay the prices they wanted for them on eBay. :faint:

RoseRed and I are going to see Les Miserables at the National Theater on Tuesday. I can hardly wait. :yahoo:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
bresamil said:
I've seen Cats several times and almost bought tickets for it again - the kids have always wanted to see it. Unfortunately we were already "booked" with other things every night. I hope it comes back around - possibly to National Theater, which is where I was able to catch it before.
My sister gave us the tickets for Christmas, else I would never had known it was in town. There were a bunch of kids in the audience and they all thoroughly enjoyed it. The National Theatre is where I first saw Cats many moons ago. It was just as phenomenal then as now. :yay:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
jazz lady said:
:blushing: Thank you.

It is magical. I'm so glad I got to see it again. I wouldn't want to drive out of NY either. Baltimore was bad enough. :lol:

You lucky dog! That's supposed to be THE play to see and tickets are hard to come by. I tried to find some with no luck and I wasn't going to pay the prices they wanted for them on eBay. :faint:

RoseRed and I are going to see Les Miserables at the National Theater on Tuesday. I can hardly wait. :yahoo:

Now that show is AMAZING!!! I got to see it when I was very young on a field trip. We were allowed to go to the St Louis Theatre for it. It was a show I will never forget!!

I do remember the show was on a rotating platform so the stage was constantly changing without any curtains closing!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jwwb2000 said:
Now that show is AMAZING!!! I got to see it when I was very young on a field trip. We were allowed to go to the St Louis Theatre for it. It was a show I will never forget!!

I do remember the show was on a rotating platform so the stage was constantly changing without any curtains closing!

That sounds pretty cool. I'm getting psyched to see it. It's one of those things I've wanted to do for a LONG time and am finally doing it. :yahoo:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
jazz lady said:
That sounds pretty cool. I'm getting psyched to see it. It's one of those things I've wanted to do for a LONG time and am finally doing it. :yahoo:

Make sure you visit the bathroom BEFORE the opening because you don't get another break for a LONG time and you really don't want to miss ANYTHING!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jwwb2000 said:
Make sure you visit the bathroom BEFORE the opening because you don't get another break for a LONG time and you really don't want to miss ANYTHING!

I definitely don't want to miss ANY of it. Good tip. :yay: Once I get in my seat, I stay there come hell or high water...or fire alarms. :lol:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
jazz lady said:
I definitely don't want to miss ANY of it. Good tip. :yay: Once I get in my seat, I stay there come hell or high water...or fire alarms. :lol:

You will enjoy it!!

Do you know the story of Jean ver Jean, Coset, Javert, ect?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
bresamil said:
Isn't there an American Cafe right up the street?

Yum. I've been to the one in the Tyson's Corner area a few times although it's been a few years. I don't even know if it's still there.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Restaurants in the area from the National Theater web site...

701 PENNSYLVANIA RESTAURANT - 202-393-0701 - 701 Penn Ave, NW - OT
ACADIANA - 202-408-8848 - 901 New York Ave, NW; Enter on K at 9th
ARIA TRATTORIA - 202-312-1250 - 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
BISTRO D'OC - 202-393-5444 - 518 10th street NW - 10th between E and F
BOMBAY CLUB - 202-659-3727 - 815 Connecticut Ave, NW
BUTTERFIELD 9 - 202-289-8810 - 600 14th Street, NW
CAFE 1401 - 202-628-9100 - 14th and E Streets, NW
CAPITOL CITY BREWING COMPANY - 202-628-2222 - 11th and H Streets, NW
CEIBA - 202-393-3983 - 14th and G Streets, NW - OT
CHEF GEOFF'S DOWNTOWN - 202-464-4461 - 13th bet E & F across from Warner - OT
DC COAST - 202-216-5988 -14th and K Streets, NW - OT
DEAN AND DeLUCA EXPRESSO - 202-296-4327 - 1299 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
ELEPHANT & CASTLE - 202-347-7707 - Pennsylvania and 12th Street, NW
ELLA'S WOOD FIRED PIZZA - 202-638-3434 - 900 F St, NW - 9th bet F & G Sts
FINEMONDO Italian Country Kitchen - 202-737-3100 - 1319 F Street, NW
HARD ROCK CAFE - 202-737-7625 - 999 E Street, NW
HOTEL HARRINGTON - HARRY'S and OLLIE'S TROLLEY - 202-628-8140 - E Street between 11th and 12th Streets
HOTEL WASHINGTON ROOFTOP TERRACE - 202-638-5900 - 15th St & Pennsylvania Ave, NW
JOHN HARVARD'S BREW HOUSE - 202-783-2739 - 1229 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
J.W. MARRIOTT HOTEL - 202-393-2000 - 14th and E Streets, NW
LES HALLES - 202-347-6848 - between 12th & 13th Streets on Pennsylvania Ave, NW
McCORMICK & SCHMICK'S - 202-347-1500 - 600 13th Street, NW
McCORMICK & SCHMICK'S - 202-639-9330 - 901 F St., NW - at 9th St
McDONALD'S - Fast Food - 13th and F Streets, NW
OCCIDENTAL GRILL - 202-783-1475 - 1475 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
OCEANAIRE SEAFOOD ROOM - 202-347-2277 - 1201 F Street, NW
OLD EBBITT GRILL - 202-347-4800 - 675 15th Street, NW - OT
OLD POST OFFICE PAVILION FOOD COURT - 12th and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
ORTANIQUE - 202-393-0975 - 730 11th Street, NW
OVAL ROOM - 202-463-8700 - 800 Connecticut Ave, NW - OT
RED SAGE - 202-638-4444 - 605 14th Street, NW - OT
REEVES RESTAURANT & BAKERY - 202-628-6350 - 1306 G Street, NW
REAGAN BUILDING FOOD COURT- On Pennsylvania Ave across from the National
SIGNATURES - 202-628-5900 - 801 Pennsylvania NW
SHOPS AT NATIONAL PLACE FOOD COURT - UNDER RENOVATION - Enter 13th and F, NW
TEN PENH - 10th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW - OT
TOSCA - 202 367-1990 -1112 F Street, NW - OT
WILLARD ROOM - 202-628-9100 - 14th and E Streets, NW

Any recommendations? I've heard Red Sage is very good.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
jazz lady said:
Yum. I've been to the one in the Tyson's Corner area a few times although it's been a few years. I don't even know if it's still there.
I could swear that's where we went right after the show, the first time I saw Cats. A block up or so.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
Any recommendations? I've heard Red Sage is very good.

If Red Sage is the TexMex place I ate at before, I was not impressed. I think that Signatures is going under new management. I have to go get the Bug and get her to dance. I'll be back...