Speeding Ticket in Calvert County

Curmudgeon

Recently received a speeding ticket. It was 7 miles over the limit. Do I pay the fine and not go to court, or contest in court? I want to avoid points on my license and added insurance. What has been the standard result of speeding in Calvert?
:eyebrow:

Mikeinsmd

Curmudgeon said:
Recently received a speeding ticket. It was 7 miles over the limit. Do I pay the fine and not go to court, or contest in court? I want to avoid points on my license and added insurance. What has been the standard result of speeding in Calvert? :eyebrow:
Go see if they will allow community service. Charles & St. Marys do if you have no other points or infractions.

You can also PM our local authority on speeding tickets: http://forums.somd.com/member.php?u=407

MMDad

Lem Putt
Curmudgeon said:
Recently received a speeding ticket. It was 7 miles over the limit. Do I pay the fine and not go to court, or contest in court? I want to avoid points on my license and added insurance. What has been the standard result of speeding in Calvert?

Last time my wife got a ticket in Calvert, they wouldn't let her do community service. It seems to come and go. Call the prosecutors office to find out.

The last ticket I got was in St. Mary's, and I had a choice between a day of labor or donating to charity. No points. It goes on the "stet" docket for a year. If you don't get any more tickets, it goes away.

I wouldn't bother going to court unless you have a very strong case. In larger areas, there's a better chance that the cop won't show, but down here the Judges know the cops so you have a harder time winning.

Bonehead

Of two tickets that I have ever gotten in 37 years of driving were in Calvert the last one though..........79 MPH in a 55. The State Cop was not amused.
I was testing out some front end work and new tire combination on a car (20 years old) that I was going to have to drive on the Interstate that weekend. Went to court still paid the $140 but no reckless driving or points, no insurance effect. Probation before Judgement means if no more tickets in a year no points. Thats what I got. So bottom line lots of tickets don't expect sympathy not many the judge may cut you some slack.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
MMDad said:
I wouldn't bother going to court unless you have a very strong case. In larger areas, there's a better chance that the cop won't show, but down here the Judges know the cops so you have a harder time winning.

Oh that so makes sense, go to work make that ink and pay the little bill which is in comparison to a lot of grief from frustration and pissedoffity if you go and lose the case.

sinwagon

If you don't want the points go to court. CC is very reasonable w/ speeding tickets ESPECIALLY something that is under 10 mph over the speed limit.

You go, you plead guilty, you get a chance to speak. If your record is good and in most cases even if it isn't, you will walk with a PBJ and have to pay a slightly higher fine.

When I went, I was given a choice, 1. Pay the fine keep the points 2. Pay a higher fine no points 3. Pay a lower fine and 4 hours community service. I took option #2

greyhound

I recieved a ticket in CC. I went to court, plead guilty. I was given a PBJ. It consisted of No points, no record, making a donation to project graduation that was less than the original ticket. :yay:

camily

Peace
greyhound said:
I recieved a ticket in CC. I went to court, plead guilty. I was given a PBJ. It consisted of No points, no record, making a donation to project graduation that was less than the original ticket. :yay:
I love peanut butter and jelly. :yum:

jw213

Curmudgeon said:
so, let's be clear on this. does your ticket say were 7 over the limit? how far over the limit were you actually traveling? the trooper/deputy may have written that on his copy of the ticket, just in case the judge asks :coffee: him.

jw213

greyhound said:
It was nice of them to give those out right before lunch. Oh yeah...the people that pleaded guilty didn't get them.
actually, PBJ has a third description, as in "Please ____ the Judge"