African Cichlids

PrepH4U

Hey if anyone wants some free baby african cichlids let me know. I have about 7. I took them out of the big tank to protect them, but they are now thriving in one of my community tanks. I won't be long until they will realize they are in a tank of nice fish and start to bully them. I believe they will stay orange and they have a hint of blue starting to appear on fins and tail.

slik

Orange with Blue ? What type are they - Zebras, Peacocks ?
How big are they now ? I have a 55 tank started with 7 cichlids and would like to add more. Right now I have 4 peacocks, 2 yellow labs, and a jewel. Had some Kenyi but they had to go cause they kept beating up on the others.

Pete

Repete
slik said:
How big are they now ? I have a 55 tank started with 7 cichlids and would like to add more. Right now I have 4 peacocks, 2 yellow labs, and a jewel. Had some Kenyi but they had to go cause they kept beating up on the others.
Where is "go"?

PrepH4U

slik said:
:lmao: I can state for a fact, they are now kinda orange with faded stripes, hint of blue on tail. I do not have a clue what they are. Mom was pure orange, dad was either pure orange or one of the big blue striped ones.... You will have to tell me the kind I have... :lol:

PrepH4U

thakidistight said:
This thread has been reported to PETA.
I am really trying to find good homes for them! They are about an inch long now and looking for a forever home. :whistle:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Are they freshwater or saltwater fish? I have a tank with about 6 eral small tiger barbs in it. Will they get along?

slik

FancyBelle said:
Are they freshwater or saltwater fish? I have a tank with about 6 eral small tiger barbs in it. Will they get along?

Cichlids are fresh water fish. Some can be very aggressive and some could be pretty mild. When I was first setting up my tanks I was told not to mix the cichlids with other types of fish (tetras, goldfish, barbs ... etc).
I have though, met people that have told me that they have mixed community tanks without problems. But, I believethe cichlids they have added are still very young.
Some of the species can get very large (6-12 inches). When they are that large they will eat smaller fish.
As far as freshwater fish go - they are probably the most colorful of them all.

PrepH4U

slik said:
Cichlids are fresh water fish. Some can be very aggressive and some could be pretty mild. When I was first setting up my tanks I was told not to mix the cichlids with other types of fish (tetras, goldfish, barbs ... etc).
I have though, met people that have told me that they have mixed community tanks without problems. But, I believethe cichlids they have added are still very young.
Some of the species can get very large (6-12 inches). When they are that large they will eat smaller fish.
As far as freshwater fish go - they are probably the most colorful of them all.
Yep my big blue striped guys are about 7 inches long, the orange ones are smaller. I felt sorry for the smallest orange (which I found out is the mommy) and put her into a hospital tank, thinking she was beat up and would be mild, I added my two new oscars in there who were twice her size, well I would watch the oscars take turns edging up closer to her rock and she would come out with her guns a blazing... needless to say the oscars were put in their place real quick. I no longer felt sorry for her and put her back into the tank with what I found out were the sexual predators! :lol:

Fancybelle,
My babies 1" - 2" are doing fine in a community tank so far, but, they do need to find a permanent home. I would not reccommend putting them in with other peaceful fish unless you want to risk loosing the peaceful fish, they are very territorial and darn right mean. I still have two babies in the big tank that I haven't been able to catch so I thought h*ll with ya, I tried to save you. Well the little buggers are so smart, hiding in little crevices of rocks away from the big guys.

They still need homes if anyone is just starting a freshwater tank these would be ideal as they are still small and wouldn't really work with an established tank or they would be fish food for the others.

S

starr

I may be able to take one or two off your hands. I have to move the tank down to my current house though.