7.0 earthquake hits Haiti

bookrat

A major earthquake struck just off the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince on Tuesday, sparking a tsunami watch for parts of the Caribbean, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

There was no immediate report of damage or injuries from the quake. However, The Associated Press reported that a hospital had collapsed.

The quake had a reported magnitude of 7.0 and was centered about 10 miles (16km) off the coast and about 6 miles (10 km) underground, according to the USGS.

A tsunami watch was posted for Haiti and parts of Cuba, the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas, but historical data suggests a destructive, widespread tsunami was not a threat, the USGS reported.

It is bad enough that it is a 7.0, but to be such a poor country too.
Imagine, the hospital collapsed....
Pray for all those poor people......
Anyone in Florida feel the rumble?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
IT'S THE BEGINNING MAN! 2012 COUNTDOWN:cds:

You beat me to it!

We've been discussing this for quite some time now. Are these quakes in the Pacific area - Indonesia/Malaysia(sp?) a sign of things to come? Now we have had a HUGE one in our area of the world. Is it the begining of the end? :popcorn:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Have any of you folks even been near an area where a major earthquake has occurred?

What the heck does it feel like?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Have any of you folks even been near an area where a major earthquake has occurred?

I never have, my son lives in LA says they happen all the time and at first it was crazy but then you get used to it. When he first moved there one knocked him out of bed. I couldn't live like that.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I never have, my son lives in LA says they happen all the time and at first it was crazy but then you get used to it. When he first moved there one knocked him out of bed. I couldn't live like that.

Um, getting knocked out of bed, in the middle of the night, by some kind of tremor?!?!

I think that kind of memory would stay with me for just a little bit! Orgasms aside, I mean! :killingme

bookrat

I think you all will get a different view when the sun rises on a place the size of Maryland, with 9 mil people were 80% live on $400....a year.....
Piss poor leadership, no birth control, little to no jobs...and where do you begin to seperate the normal poor from the earthquake poor?

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I experienced mostly minor quakes but enough to really rattle you nerves.
Oh - why don't I feel sorry for them. Maybe because they made their bed and I remember 1994.

oldman

Lobster Land

Was in the P.I. in the late 60's when there was what I remember to be a 7.2 quake. Hard to describe but the ground and buildings shake and it plays with your mind. Sort of like losing your equilibrium and there is nothing your can do about it. Very strange or odd feeling to say the least. Some ran out of their houses naked although I wasn't that scared, but sorta wished I had to see them. :killingme

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
What a mess. This is pretty bad.

Well it is. It's devastating. But they were already a very poor country before this. I guess our country will do what they always do & provide humanitarian and monetary support.

I just hope they get Hillary's makeup person/hairdresser back soon. :shudder: It's hell having to watch these impromptu pressers/updates on the US support.

acommondisaster

I was in Manila when a 6.6 earthquake hit in 1994. It woke me up out of a dead sleep. Could hear the timbers in the hotel creaking and the water in the pipes sloshing. The pendant lights in the room were swaying like mad and it seemed like it would never stop. Pretty much everyone on the floor of the hotel was awakened and made their way out to the hall to say "holy crap - it's an earthquake - it's a BIG earthquake" - even while it still continued. Of course it seemed like forever, but I'm sure it lasted about 5 minutes or more.

The next day, we read that 64 people had died, in the poorest section of the island. I had an eery feeling all day, I kept thinking that I couldn't rely on the earth always being beneath me. Hard to explain. My prayers go out to the people in Haiti.