7 alarm fire in Bel Alton/La Plata

smithchick231

Something huge, we can see it from the house here almost to the corner. Keep hearing pops like little explosions then see things light back up again. Looks to be in the area of the church across from Bel Alton Rd on Rt 6, but we swear it seems to be spreading and hubby thinks he heard chainsaw. Any body know whats going on yet? I can't get my scanner to connect.

OldHillcrestGuy

Its the junkyard , Burch's. Charles Street Closed, and as of 10 minutes ago it was at 3 alarms. Charles St, closed at 488 and again at Wheatley Rd.

OldHillcrestGuy

All the buildings are on fire, and has spread about 100 ft out from the buildings to now include junk cars and tires.

Expect Charles Street to be closed for several hours road completely blocked by firetrucks.

Every fire dept. in Charles and units from King George, and several from St Marys,

SM_Vol._FF

Saint Mary's Units include:

Engine 14, Leonardtown
Engine 51, Water Supply 5, 7th District
Engine 74, Hollywood
Engine 224, Tanker 2, Mechanicsville (Squad 2 was dispatched possibly cancelled)

Also heard Andrews AFB Crash Truck on the scene as well as Patuxent Rivers Foam Unit/Crash Truck.

This is gonna be a HUGE hazmat scene with all those cars burning. Wonder if it was arson. Place has been for sale for months now. NOT saying it was the owner, but maybe a "kid" playing with fire.

OldHillcrestGuy

This is gonna be a HUGE hazmat scene with all those cars burning. Wonder if it was arson. Place has been for sale for months now. NOT saying it was the owner, but maybe a "kid" playing with fire.

Wouldnt surprise me. I heard it get dispatched this morning (came out a shed fire) and fire was already off to a good start when the first fire truck got there. They were fighting it from the inside and outside but told the guys inside to evacuate the building that the roof wasnt stable.

The main building they described was 100x80 and it was fully involved, as was several small buildings..

I knew I should have called 911.....

I went through that area around 3:30AM on my way from La Plata to Pax River.

As soon as I started down the hill, the wind died down and the smoke was layered and not moving. I didn't see fire, didn't seem like the smoke was coming from any place, just kind of layered in the air. I didn't think much of it, guess I should have...

You better call the State's Fire Marshall's office and let them know what you saw - every bit of information is helpful. 443-550-6820

smithchick231

I didn't really know how many alarms it was of course. I was just trying to count the different groups of trucks that went by. It was about 7 groups initially thats where I guessed 7 alarms lol. It was definitly a little scary, we could hear things popping and exploding from the house, then see it flare up above the tree line again. I finally got ahold of my bro-he's Charles county dispatch and a member of Pot Heights. He text back that he was actually there, not at work-then there was a large explosion and I didnt hear back until he stopped by the house in the equipment (command vehicle i think?) to tinkle before he headed back to the station. I finally went by there today and I am just amazed at the destruction. I wonder if anyone knows if the 2 'bums' that stay there, got out ok. We see them everyday pass by the house on their way into town. The one guy on the bike (his name is Joe) stops in front of the house all the time and collects cigarette butts off the shoulder(eww gross I know). Sometimes I'll give him a few. I also give him blankets and clothes that are his size when we clean out our closests. He never takes any food I offer :( im just worried cause i havent seen him since the fire.