Come-Out-of-the-Closet-Cartoon-Watchers

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Okay – admit it! Which of you "adults" still watch cartoons on TV?? And what is your favorite? C'mon and 'fess up!

I admit to watching (and loving!) The Simpsons, The Tick, Ren & Stimpy, Sponge Bob Squarepants, King of the Hill, and any and all classic Looney Tunes...

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Both hands up.

But you *knew* that intuitively, didn't you?

Looney Tunes, of course, the best. And the Simpsons and occasionally Futurama. I think some of the GOOD ones are long gone, like Duckman. And I might catch Justice League on an off-night. And Ren and Stimpy. Pinky and the Brain.

I guess I still can't get it out of my head watching King of the Hill, that it's Mike Judge, the guy that brought Beavis and Butthead into the world. (Although I used to like the old Liquid TV on MTV years ago, and Aeon Flux).

And ok, I admit it - when doing errands on Saturday morning, I have WB on in the background. I like Jackie Chan's cartoon.

(But for some reason, Bullwinkle and Rocky aren't funny to me anymore).

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I didn't "get" Rocky and Bullwinkle as a child, and I still don't! I think Mr. Peabody is incredibly BORING, and what's-his-name (the kid) is incredibly WHINY...

I like Pinky and the Brain and Futurama, too. Aeon Flux is pretty weird, but entertaining in its weirdness...

I like anime, too, but I think the Japanese cartoon artists are obsessed with eroticizing the short-skirt, be-ribboned, knee-high, school-girl look...(perverts! :D)

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Actually what I find the MOST strange about anime is, beneath it all, it bespeaks the ideals of a culture that really is kind of weird to the average Westerner.

I mean, think about it - Pokemon is all about battling with trained animals. Ok, they never fight to the death - but it's *brutal*. The first thing the little urchins want to do when they see a new Pokemon is capture it, and more or less - enslave it. And the gender portrayals are only funny because they are just blatantly sexist. It's hysterical.

Ok, I'm remembering more - Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Some of the adult versions of old cartoons. Like Fred and Valerie telling Scooby and the gang they are going to go into this dark room to - uh - you know - search for MORE CLUES! Yes! Clues!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sierra,

The kid was Sherman and I always thought that they were incredibly interesting (for cartoons). Every so often I get the joy of sitting with the grandkids and watching the Saturday morning regulars. Many of these new ones the kids like are way out there and I prefer the oldies. You have got to love Foghorn Leghorn and the chicken hawk.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Okay – now we KNOW you're weird if you watch x-rated versions of Scooby-Doo! :lmao: Where do you even FIND such a thing? (Actually, I don't want to know...) I used to actually LIKE Scooby-Doo, but now you've just RUINED it for me FOREVER!!! :burning:

Which brings us to a profound question: If anime parallels Eastern culture, does Scooby-Doo parallel Western??

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My very favorite cartoon was one with the dog who found the little kitten. The one where the kitten would cause all sorts of problems and the dog would take the blame for it and the kitten would curl up on the dog's back, "picking" him to death while kneading on his back.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Does South Park count as a cartoon? :lol:

Actually I love cartoons - my girls and I sit and watch them all the time. Disney and Nick are the only channels they're allowed to watch, anyway. We also like old WB cartoons. They think it's cool that I know all the words to the Roadrunner and Bugs Bunny show songs.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Man, how could I miss South Park on my list of all-time FAVS? LOVE IT!! Especially the ones with Mr. Hanky...and all Chef's raunchy love songs...and the attack of the killer turkeys...

Ken – I guess I just wasn't intelligent enough as a child to understand the sophisticated humor of Rocky & Bullwinkle! :D However, I watched it because I liked the "Fractured Fairy Tales" part... I DO love Foghorn Leghorn – especially the one where he's trying to hook up with the rich old maid chicken with the weird kid – "I say, there's something STRANGE about a boy who don't play BASEBALL!"

Catt – the kitten one is a RIOT! That poor dog – didn't just love the way his skin wrinkled up and he made faces when the kitten kneaded him??

Vrai – "Roadrunner...the coyote's after YOU! Roadrunner...if he catches you you're THROUGH!...(your turn)

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I often quote the baseball line to people who say they don't watch or play sports.

"Bricka-bracka Firecracka sis-boom-bah!
Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny rah-rah-rah!"

"I knew I shoulda taken that left toin at Alba-koik-ee".

"Look at me! I'm a HARE plane!"

"Oh bruther! Had the silly thing in reverse!" (they USED this one in Independence Day!)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Oldies were the best

I used to watch--

Heckle and Jeckle
Woody Woodpecker
Magilla Gorilla
Yogi Bear
All the Looney Tunes Cartoons
Popeye
Roadrunner
Rocky and Bullwinkle
The Flintstones and other Hanna & Barbra cartoons

...and whatever else came on in the early morning hours during the mid 60's and early 70's. I watched Scooby Doo when it first came out and that was probably the last time I was really into them. I would watch Winnie the Pooh with the kids.

I like the old cartoons better too, but I just can't remember all the different ones.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
My 3 year old and I love Sponge Bob. We have the tapes and he watches it all day. He also likes The Simpsons, oh and so do I!

Oh and of course the all greatest, South Park!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I laughed a lot at the South Park movie, but the TV show gets tedious these days. I think it's because Matt and Trey are out of ideas and are simply trying to be outrageous.

I used to love Ren and Stimpy, and I taped a bunch of the John K. episodes years ago. But the other day I watched the tape and realized how gross the show really was. Does that mean I'm getting old? (I'm 35.) With both shows, I guess I'm just looking for some cleverness and real humor along with the cheap laughs about transsexuals (South Park) and hairballs (Ren and Stimpy).

The Warner Bros. cartoons will always remain classics. When Chuck Jones died recently, it was amazing to learn how much he created during his tenure. Pepe le Pew, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner came from his brain. He directed Bugs-as-bullfighter, Daffy-as-Robin-Hood ("Yikes, and away!") and Bugs-as-conductor ("Leopold!"). How about the two mice waging psychological warfare on Claude the cat?

A few years ago I caught a Scooby Doo episode and realized the show had not aged well. Every plot was a recycling of Hound of the Baskervilles. I can't believe this show came from the same studio as the Flintstones, which always appealed to adults as well as children.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"If you're on a highway and Roadrunner goes Beep Beep
Just step aside or you might end up in a heap..."

For some reason that cracks my kids up.

My all-time favorite is the "Schoolhouse Rock" series. My husband bought me the CD collection for Christmas and the kids and I listen to it all the time. I think they've learned more from those CDs than they ever learned in school!

"Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence
And what the predicate says, he does"

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
"Conjunction, junction, what's your function?" turns on in my head everytime someone mentions "Schoolhouse Rock", thanks Vrai. :rolleyes: :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mine is the Interjection song - "So when you're happy (hooray!) or sad (Aww!) or frightened (Eek!) or mad (Rats!)...Now I'll sing it all day. :duh: Sorry I brought it up!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Now I'll sing it all day. :duh: Sorry I brought it up!

The funny thing is---I can't remember the rest of the words, they just loop around and it drives me crazy. :lmao:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Best song? How 'bout:

"Happy happy joy joy
Happy happy joy joy
Happy happy joy joy
Happy happy joy joy"

(repeat until exhaustion)

They're still funny. I think they funniest scene is when Ren & Stimpy watch this wild man out in the woods. Their reaction is *very* subtle.

Or even better:

"Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, kill the WABbit, kill the wabbit"
(sung to The Flight of the Valkyries)

Aw man - now I need a Cartoon Network fix. See what you did?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The voices of Mel Blanc. They were all great. His characters are my favorites.

"Kill the wabbit" has a special meaning for several friends over the years. Seems if I went up to them and teased them about having kids by asking if they were going to "kill the wabbit", in my best Elmer voice, it wasn't long before they told me the "wabbit" had died (usually within the month).