cichlids

A

angelphish

Hey there, I've only been in the area for about a year now.
I raise and breed cichlids in my basement. Actually I have tanks everywhere. I've been keeping cichlids for over twelve years. But, if anyone is interested in cichlids, mainly africans, I have several different ones. Some are colorful, some are just hard to find, that are interesting to watch. I'd be happy to show them off to anyone who wanted to see them. Even if just to look.

And by the way, I noticed in another post that people were talking about plecos getting extremely large. The common bristle nose pleco only gets about 5 or 6 inches.

A

angelphish

Don't tell me no one here no's what a cichlid is?
Well I'll tell you. They are fresh water aquarium fish. Not saltwater. Even the angelfish and oscars are cichlids.
There are american cichlids and there are african cichlids. An oscar, a jack dempsey, a convict, these are all american cichlids. You aren't likely to find and african cichlids at wal-mart.

K

Kain99

I LOVE cichlids! If your game i'd love to come see your collection.... If your offering any for sale, you've found a buyer. :smile:

BTW my Pleco is 8 inches long.... I guess he's been over fed....

K

Kain99

Crap! I really don't know..... He was a gift... Maybe you should come over and let me know.... :biggrin:

A

angelphish

Does your pleco have a fuzzy face. By that I mean bristley things sticking up off of his face like some sort of growth. If so, he's a bristlenose alright.
Sure, you can come see my fish. And yes I several I need to get rid of.
I've got another female holding babies today. I'm being overrun with babies.

A

angelphish

Big guy hmm. Hope he has plenty of room. Ever hear of a Titanic pleco. They get huge. If you ever want info on or just want to see different kinds of plecos. You can view them at www. planetcatfish.com

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
So, what kind of fish is this?

:smile: I looked at the site Sharon "fixed" and alluded to plecos being from the catfish family, is that right?
penn

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Get oughtta here!

I punched up the site, found a search engine and typed in "bristlenosed plecos"; it came back and spoke about catfish!

I swear it's true!
penn:smile:

A

angelphish

Yes, pleco's are referred to as catfish in it's most general form.
Also pleco is a generalized form for many different fish that resemble the common pleco. On the site I mentioned, most pleco's are listed by their L number. The L stands for Loricariids, the actual species name for plecostomus and others.

A

angelphish

Oops. No, not all freshwater fish are cichlids. But its is the biggest genre of freshwater fish.
Mollies, guppies, tetras, gouramis, fish like these are not cichlids.

K

Kain99

If your fish look like round nosed salt water fish then yes you have cichlids! Cichlids are the Most colorful fresh water breed.

My Pleco doesn't have any notable spikey things on his face I guess he's something else. :biggrin: