Credit report/score

Pete

Repete
It was time for my annual credit report check. Does anyone else check theirs every year?

I was shocked how high my credit score has gotten. :really:

I just might go buy something. :yay:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Pete said:
It was time for my annual credit report check. Does anyone else check theirs every year?

Your big trophy must have really helped.

That, and being distanced from your ex wife / husband collector.

Pete

Repete
MMDad said:
Your big trophy must have really helped.

That, and being distanced from your ex wife / husband collector.
It didn't say anything abut my big trophy, I should add that :yay:

Pete

Repete
It is amazing how long they keep crap on there. A chevron card from 1995? come on :rolleyes:

When I first started doing this a few years ago I was amazed how many accounts I had open. I paid them off and figured they were closed but noooooo, even though you paid it in full they wont close alot of them unless you tell them too. Too many open old accounts can drop your score.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I was just talking about credit reports/scores with some folks today. How timely! :lol:

It is imperative you check yours no matter that you don't have credit cards and you think you're fine. You'd be amazed at the old and erroneous data out there. I thought Maryland gives you a free report every 6 months, but checking it at least once a year is a must. :yay:

So Pete, what are you going to buy? :dance:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Any of the three major providers: experian.com, equifax.com or transunion.com. You can also go to AnnualCreditReport.com, which is a collaboration between the three, to request your report.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Pete said:

*music playing with subliminal message*

Buy onebdzee a house

:lmao:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I subscribed to that free credit report thingy about a year ago; right around the time I was paying off a bunch of crap! I get monthly updates and alerts for $12/month.

morganj614

Pete said:

Never mind APS, Pete will pay my premo :killingme

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Chasey_Lane said:
I subscribed to that free credit report thingy about a year ago; right around the time I was paying off a bunch of crap! I get monthly updates and alerts for $12/month.
It's still early, isn't it :lol:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
aps45819 said:
It's still early, isn't it :lol:
You get a free report once a year (can't remember all the restrictions) however; if you want monthly updates and so forth, it cost a little more.

Vince

Pete said:

A third Raspberry motorcycle. :yay:

Pete

Repete
jazz lady said:
I was just talking about credit reports/scores with some folks today. How timely! :lol:

It is imperative you check yours no matter that you don't have credit cards and you think you're fine. You'd be amazed at the old and erroneous data out there. I thought Maryland gives you a free report every 6 months, but checking it at least once a year is a must. :yay:

So Pete, what are you going to buy? :dance:
:yeahthat: Divorce and other crap killed mine years ago. About 5 years ago when I knew I was going to retire and move I started checking mine. I was stunned how many "open accounts" I had on there and false information. Too many open accounts is bad and drops your score because you have too much debt available. Erroneous info is of course bad as well. Also stuff is scheduled to drop off your report after a certain period and it doesn't always get removed.

I made a list and wrote letters to places that still had accounts that were "open" and told them to close them. Corrected wrong info and disputed a couple things that were wrong. If you dispute incorrect info they have to prove it is true or remove it.

Also too many credit report checks you authorize will drop your score. You can check it without hurting it and there are what is called "unsolicited" checks by CC companies and crap don't hurt it either. However if you are buying a car, and you shop from dealer to dealer and you authorize each dealer to check your credit it will hurt your score because it will show 3, 4, or 5 requests for credit in a short period. If you are shopping for a car, don't authorize (fill out a credit application) until you are going to buy. Credit checks you authorize stay on there for 2 years even if you don't take the loan.

It took me several months but by the time I was ready to buy my house here it really helped. I increased my credit score 80 points just by closing accounts that were 5+ years old and correcting wrong info. Increasing my credit score got me into my house at the best interest rate and also qualified me for 0% on my truck. Since then it has steadily increased and now I am well above the 720 line for excellent credit.

Pandora

Anything over 650 is considered good credit. I was disappointed when I ran mine. I pay everything off when the bill comes, put extra down on loan notes as fast as I can or pay payments in advance, just to get the bill paid off, and most often pay cash. I’ve paid 5 year car notes in ½ the time OR LESS in the past.

My husband pays what he can, no rush, would never consider throwing extra money down on a loan so he stashes extra cash in the bank. His credit score was nearly 100 points higher than mine (which was in the 700 range, so I guess I have nothing to complain about). But, just recently, we bought a car and put a considerable amount of cash down and they had to swap his name to appear 1st and mine 2nd because his score was so much higher than mine and that swap qualified us for the best interest rate.

Who would have thought that my frugal practices would have created such a difference in my score versus his score? Reason given: Accounts not held to term.

I check our credit reports every tax season. As soon as I finish our taxes, I request a credit report just to look it over.

D

dems4me

Pete said:
:yeahthat: Divorce and other crap killed mine years ago. About 5 years ago when I knew I was going to retire and move I started checking mine. I was stunned how many "open accounts" I had on there and false information. Too many open accounts is bad and drops your score because you have too much debt available. Erroneous info is of course bad as well. Also stuff is scheduled to drop off your report after a certain period and it doesn't always get removed.

I made a list and wrote letters to places that still had accounts that were "open" and told them to close them. Corrected wrong info and disputed a couple things that were wrong. If you dispute incorrect info they have to prove it is true or remove it.

Also too many credit report checks you authorize will drop your score. You can check it without hurting it and there are what is called "unsolicited" checks by CC companies and crap don't hurt it either. However if you are buying a car, and you shop from dealer to dealer and you authorize each dealer to check your credit it will hurt your score because it will show 3, 4, or 5 requests for credit in a short period. If you are shopping for a car, don't authorize (fill out a credit application) until you are going to buy. Credit checks you authorize stay on there for 2 years even if you don't take the loan.

It took me several months but by the time I was ready to buy my house here it really helped. I increased my credit score 80 points just by closing accounts that were 5+ years old and correcting wrong info. Increasing my credit score got me into my house at the best interest rate and also qualified me for 0% on my truck. Since then it has steadily increased and now I am well above the 720 line for excellent credit.

Why would too many credit checks on your credit score lower your score? If anything I think it woudl proove that you care alot abuot your credit score and that's why you check it. :shrug: Its because credit is important to you and all :shrug: