shopping info ?

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Hi again everyone its me Rane, I have another question for you fine folks in southern Maryland ... actually more than one ... hope you don't mind ... btw .. thanks for all the advice so far ... I really appreciate it . I am looking forward to everything except the packing and unpacking ... I would love it if someone could tell me about the mall (s) closest to the Pax River navy base , is there a JCPenney there ? also, are there many used bookstores in the area ? I am an avid reader ;-) , and how bout flea markets ? and where is the best place to try those world famous Maryland crab cakes I keep hearing about ? Thanks .

Christy

b*tch rocket
Cariblue, don't like crabcakes? Now that's just plain un American! ;) Tony's Riverhouse in Benedict has good crabcakes, but mine are better! :cool:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Doesn't St. Lenonard have a big flea market anymore? And isn't there still a used bookstore on Great Mills? (Can't remember the name, and NO I don't mean *that* one).

Sorry Rane - if you *really* want the mall experience or get into the shopping thing - you really do have to head out of Southern Maryland. Waldorf would be one choice, or Bowie up by Rte 50 or the Annapolis Mall.

As far as crab cakes are concerned - they're found everywhere, but Stoney's - either one - makes a pretty good one.

But not as good as MINE - not even Christy's.

H

Heretic

The shopping is PrettyPissPoor to say the least. Im a guy and not really into shopping but if you cant find it at Walmart or Target generally your SOL. Heck I would be happy with an AdvancedAuto or an AutoZone but we dont have either of those either.

Bookstores, the only decent one is in Waldorf its a Borders.

There is a large flea market in the Mechanicsville area right on route 5, not much there of value to me thought it was pretty scummy actually. There is also one in Hughesville too never went to it but there is usually a suit of armor sitting outside on Saturdays that I have been meaning to stop and look at.

This is a strange place anywhere there is a place to pull off on the road someone throws their garbage out and puts a for sale sign on it. You can also buy seafood out of someone trunk parked along side the road, Im sure that is sanitary.

Two pieces of advice for moving to Southern Maryland

1) Don't do it
2) if you do discover Online Shopping

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Rane,

If you're looking for a flea market you'll need to go to Charlotte Hall. The farmers market there has a large field with too many vendors to count. There is also a smaller one in the Hughesville Tobacco Barns.

As for Crab Cakes...Sandgates Restaurant on the Patuxent River off of Sandgates Road has good Crab Cakes. But then I haven't had Christy's or Franks versions!

:)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Heretic,
I don't know your location but there is an Auto Zone in Prince Frederick.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Shopping in St. Mary's is sketchy but less than an hour away is a pretty decent mall and several great strips in Waldorf.

And the best crab cakes are either at Stoney's or at my house, thankyouverymuch, since I got my recipe from them. Maybe we should have a cook-off? :smile:

G

giggles04

Hi Rane,

I'll tell you..... if you're looking for a good crabcake... try either Scheible's Restaurant in Ridge, Evans Seafood over on 249, Stonies, or even Sandgates. All good in my opion... and I love eating crabcakes.

As for bookstores.... the best one is Borders in Waldorf... but if you don't want to go that far there is Bowes Books in Lex. Park... but you could go to the bookstore at St. Mary's College... they've got good stuff there.

Have fun! Enjoy the county!

:cheers:

H

Heretic

Autozone

Its nice to see we will be getting an Autozone soon. PrinceFrederick is a bit far to drive for a $6 oil filter. Due to traffic it takes about 45 minutes to get to Prince Frederick from Lexington Park. I tried the TrakAuto in the KMart Plaza in California a couple times but they never seem to have what I need.

Rane

Jetmonkey .... " ASS walmart " ?? ... did you forget the word kick as in meaning the Walmart there is a really good one ? I sure hope so ! Malls are great but sometimes you just gotta go to Walmart !
Several of you have mentioned JCPenney ... where exactly is it , in a mall or in a location of its own ? Is it a big store ? Hecht ? I am not familiar with that chain ? What is it similar to ? <grin> my hubby is already wincing at the thought of new stores for me to check out .

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The JC Penny is too small, IMO. Not much in there if you are used to the big stores. There is a slim selection of clothing, a few bath & bed items and some shoes, no perfume or make-up counter, although they do have a hair salon.

K

Katie

Used Bookstore

There is a Used Bookstore in Prince Frederick called Second Look Books. When the new Library is built in Lexington Park, they will have a used book area to buy. Also they have a once a year sale on the books donated. Also in LaPlata at the Library they have a used book store also. The LaPlata libaray one has been getting construction all winter, and supposedly it will be ready for June or July but that was before the Tornado.

The flea market is good in Charlotte Hall.

Shopping malls, I like the Potomac Mills Mall. Of couse I am from Boston and got spoiled by malls on every corner. But most of my stuff comes from Walmart and Target anyhow.

Crabcakes either Schiebles in Ridge or Evan's. My boyfriend is from the county so he taught me how to eat crabs.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by Sharon
The JC Penny is too small, IMO. Not much in there if you are used to the big stores. There is a slim selection of clothing, a few bath & bed items and some shoes, no perfume or make-up counter, although they do have a hair salon.

Man I agree. JC Penny socks big time! Course I am a guy, but talk about limits of work dress clothes. I never seen an area with such poor shopping choices -- unless you are a Walmart/Kmart junkie.... Places where I come from, those kind of stores didn't get too many customers because there were malls and REAL choices.....

Now that would be an awesome "profit making" endeavor... build a mall in SOMD and watch the Raley's kneel before you! :eek:

Course the Raley's own a large % of SOMD and sit on those deciding county boards... umm... ever wonder why there isn't a mall in St Mary's county?

Rane

My hubby is a golf fanatic , how are the courses up there ? I am sure he'll be checking out the greens up there once we are settled in . He and my son also love to fish, I posted a thread asking for fishing advice on one of the other threads , so far noone has replied ... I am sure my son will want to check out that place with the climbing wall , he loves them ...
Hubby and I also want to take him crabbing ... we used to go crabbing in Destin, FL many years ago when we were teenagers ... We all love baseball, football and nascar ... we grew up being Braves fans but we are just as happy going to the minor league games here and a few Jaguar games , nothing like a ball game , hot dog and peanuts kind of evening:D
Are there any racetracks (car) there ? We've gone to Daytona here many times to see a NASCAR race , lots of fun !
We also like to go camping now and then, I have noticed there seem to be a lot of state parks in southern Maryland ... can't wait to visit them . Also, how are the beaches there ? I know they are totally different from florida beaches but they look pretty nonetheless .

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
well

Well if all ya need is a 6 dollar oil filter..then get it at all the other auto shops. If napa don't have they can get it in 1 day. A little bit of planning might be needed is all.

Now I need a HUGE socket 2 and 1/8" but have yet to search serioulsy besides buying it...Autozone has tool lending program. Maybe some of the other auto stores do as well...the point is. You don't have to have Autozone to make this palce a good place.

LOL. And heretic or whatever If your unhappy here. Move right? Sounds simple enough to me lol

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
Oh

AND RICHMOND is like an hour drive for me. or hour and 30 mins for msot people. So NASCAR fan you say you are...How bout it. Get tickets for the next richmomd race ;-) September I think ;-)

fishing and crabbing kics A double S around here too, and I only been here 3 months.

H

Heretic

Your right, Im not fond of this place but the job is here. Its kind of hard to give up financial security, job security etc.

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
Too right

So then instead of complaining of this place as if it was "Godforsaken" Find something You like to do and get into it. Out some soul nehind it brother man lol seriously. Just find thigns you like. and Boom your good. No more complaining. Then you'll be a happy camper and won't die of a heart attack at age 40

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue

is that the same thing as budd's creek?

Yeah! If you already mentioned it, sorry. Didn't catch it in my read.

:)