Schools closed

Calvert and St. Mary's County schools are closed. St. Mary's kids being sent home at 8:15 (that's what the NBC4 site says).

Gunn317

I was pleasantly surprised to see school buses on the roads with me on my drive into work. I was going to email and applaud the superintendant for getting these kids to school so they can learn something.

Then, I find out that they decided to bring the kids to school, then abruptly turn them back around and send them home again.

How much more snow is it going to take for the people in Maryland to get used to these (what's becoming normal) road conditions?!! We all should be seasoned veterans by now. Especially big heavy school buses with dual wheels. They have no problem driving on this 1/2" of packed snow....or wet pavement on Rt.5 and Rt. 235.

If, once the kids got to school and spent the entire day, the road screws and salt trucks would have had time to do their thing. But instead, we re-clog the roads with more traffic and school buses. Then...those salt trucks can not get to all the roads in time to treat them. Letting kids out early from school only hampers this effort. I just don't get it why the schools make the decisions they do.

When I was in the public school system in Ohio (here I go, I know...my kids will hate me), it took 6" for the schools to be cancelled. And you know what? We had the same yellow school buses that are down here too. I remember peaking out the window at 4-5am hoping and praying that there was a lot of snow out there. I'd take my ruler and stick it out the window onto the porch roof to measure it. And it ended up we hardly got more than 5 snow days...and that was living in the snow belt of Lake Erie.

And then there's the possibility that our governor is going to excuse these days? Great, just what the children of Maryland need...a lesser education than the rest of the country. The should make up the time. Maybe home schooling isn't such a bad idea...? ;)

SmallTown

Football season!
Well, growing up in the mountain areas of virginia, we had out share of snow. What people somehow fail to realize is that not everyone lives right on 235 or another main road. As I was sliding to the stop sign at the end of my road this morning, I couldn't believe I saw kids waiting for the bus.

But back to my Virginia childhood... No matter how good of a driver you are are how big your vehicle is, it can easily slide off the road. In one instance just like this morning, the schools decided to open eventhough it was only a light dusting on the ground. One bus slid off the road (luckily before picking up any kids) and others had close calls, but they were determined to have schools open. An hour later, they changed their minds and decided to close schools. 2 buses ended up in the ditch and had students walking home. If you know anything about the system, this is a HUGE liability for the school system (or the county, not sure which) since they are responsible for you from the time you get on the bus to the time you get home.
Needless to say there were some MAJORLY upset parents. of course, they had the thought that "They are on a big bus, with dual wheels and chains, they will be fine". A 5 mile walk later they didn't feel the same way.

Besides. People say how awful schools are anyways, seems like the snow keeping them away would be a good thing :rolleyes:

K

Kimmy

I was out at the bus stop this morning with my son and my mom calls to tell me that schools had been closed. Well I told the bus driver and she called the board of education. She turned around and dropped the kids back off.

I think that the board of education really messed up on this one. If they were going to call school's they should of rolled out of bed early this morning and seen that it was snowing outside and made the decision this morning before school started. Not in the middle of morning rush hour. Now parents that have gone to work have to come back home to let there kids back in. So that means more traffic on the road and more aggraviation to State Road.

I had no problem with my son going to school this morning. The thing that you have to watch out for are the people that have know idea how to drive in this stuff. That makes it bad for everyone else. They shouldn't of cancelled school today. I am pretty sure that the roads would have been alright by this afternoon.

I am off today anyway because the baby is sick again.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Gunn317
Especially big heavy school buses with dual wheels. They have no problem driving on this 1/2" of packed snow....or wet pavement on Rt.5 and Rt. 235.

Really? Then can you please explain the Bus turned over on it's side on Rt. 234? :rolleyes:

The kids are all ok....

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kain99
Really? Then can you please explain the Bus turned over on it's side on Rt. 234? :rolleyes:

The kids are all ok....

He is probably the same kind of person who gets out there in his 4x4 truck and thinks he can still go 55mph with no problems (the person who mentioned this wouldn't happen, not the bus driver)

Christy

b*tch rocket
You know, I simply cannot understand the pandemonium that happens here every time it snows! :lol:

The area where I grew up, so far, has had over twelve feet of snow this winter (they got 4 feet this last go around alone), and they somehow manage to get the kids to school without everyone crashing into each other and busses turning over. I just don't get it? :confused:

K

Kain99

I don't get it either. It's nuts! After hearing all my life how idiotic we all are in the snow I was SHOCKED when we went to Montana for the first time and saw Cars, trucks, tractor trailers... you name it all spinning out of control and into 200 ft ditches.

I'm really ready to visit this place where everyone knows how to drive in the snow without incident. :smile:

Kismet

I'm kind of right therw with Gunn, as I attended school in Ohio, also, and it took a gazillion inches of snow to stop school.
What stinks is the fact that whoever makes the final decision dropped the ball this time, and left parents, and kids in a real rut.:cussing:

I'm glad i am home for now, and dont have to worry about planning a back up for school closings, and situations like today. :twitch: I was personally angry at the school system for not getting proper notification out to the public until the very last minute, that was totally unprofessional. Snow or no snow, if they're going to close school, get the message out, clearly, and stop dragging their behind!!!!!!!

Frankly, my kid should have gone to school today. If this county would learn to clear roads, or budget in case of emergencies ( like giving the kids more snow days since, afterall, it IS winter....), so they CAN afford to clear roads, it would be a miracle it seems!

I can see the point of legal responsibility and bus accident issues, though. If every school bus driver in the county drives like my kids bus driver ( speed racers sister), I wouldnt want the kids on the bus unless the pavement was dry, either. I swear, this bus has a racing turbo included in the engine system!

OK.. * Kismet steps down from her soap box* I'm gonna shut up now......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The real problem is all the "in-service" days. Check your kid's school calendar - there isn't a single month that the kids and teachers don't get at least a day off. If they'd have a whole school year during the school year, they'd have plenty of room for snow days AND the kids would get out while it's still summer.

Kismet

I totally agree. Vrai....

This schol system that my kid goes to, needs to really get a grip. The communication stinks ( school to community and parents), they need to organize, and get off their patoots.

In service days are only once every 3 months at my kids other school, thigns went JUSt fine, things go tacccomplished, and the kids NEVER had to worry about having to go to school until almost JULY!!!!!!!!! My kids' old school will dismiss the first week of June this year, and they have had PLENTY of snow. They just REFUSE to let it stop them, and they deal with it concisely, and get the job done.

Snow=Get up earlier to give proper time to decide or adjust to get wehre youre going on time & safely, SLOW DOWN...get there, but get there safely.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if school IS closed...dont forget to create snow angels with your favorite litttle people!!!

Kismet

... Although, I have to admit.....

My typing here lately doesnt look like i EVEN attended school.. LOL.

Call me the typo queen today. sorry gang.

Kismet

Warning: smart-ellic remark ahead:

I dont even think they will DECIDE about tomorrow until Thursday.
Go FIGURE........

Phfffbbbbttttt to those who are twiddling their thumbs about making decisions lately...