AC Repair

Dukesdad

The compresor in my ac unit went up. It is under warrenty so I called the company that installed it to come take a look. I got the call today from the guy that came out; the compresor is covered but he wants over 500 bucks to install it? sound steep? Any suggestions?

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
duke'sdad said:
The compresor in my ac unit went up. It is under warrenty so I called the company that installed it to come take a look. I got the call today from the guy that came out; the compresor is covered but he wants over 500 bucks to install it? sound steep? Any suggestions?
Do you still pay installation when it's warranty work? That sounds strange. :confused:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
duke'sdad said:

$500 sounds pretty steep to me unless you need several pounds of R12. I'd ask (politely) for an itemization of the costs.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Sounds like a lot of labor. Also, refrigerant normally isn't covered and is probably very expensive per pound. If it were me, I'd get my AC working now, and lick the wound on my wallet later. Man it's hot!

Dukesdad

I just listened to the message again. Its $575 on top of the 95 dollar service call from yesterday. I'm going to make some calls to other companys tommorow.

Koolman

A/c

Sounds fairly reasonable to me. standard manufacturers warranty covers compressor for 5 years. But Not the labor and associated parts, Freon (expensive), vacuum pump oil etc.
Probably will take about 5 hours or so of labor for complete job. Remember that all the A/C companies are extremely busy right now.
So How long are you comfortable without A/C?

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Hey dukesdad, would you post all the details you have on the compressor? Make, model, suggested refrigerant, etc...

Replacing the compressor is a pretty straight forward job. Conect two refrigerant lines, 220VAC line, charge system, inspect for leaks.

You'll need a few hand tools, a gauge set, and the recommended refrigerant.

I did a quick search online for information on MY compressor unit and found the manuals and diagrams along with a bunch of sites with DIY info.

I'm kind of a DIY type O'Guy and enjoy tinkering. If you're the same, this job doesn't appear to be complex at all. There are a couple places right here in the county that you can pick up HVAC equipment, fasteners, tools, etc...

Dukesdad

5 hours, come on, theres what, two wires and two freon lines then recharge the system. We are not talking replacing a coil or anything. Just the compressor.
It's not about how long am I comfortable. It's about a reasonable rate for a job. I have never balked at a reasonable rate for anything. I am willing to pay for the service, and I do not care how busy somone is, there shouldn't be a premium on a labor rate because they are busy. If I find that's what other companys will charge, I'll pay the guy that gave me the estimate no problem.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Koolman said:
standard manufacturers warranty covers compressor for 5 years. But Not the labor and associated parts, Freon (expensive), vacuum pump oil etc.
That is bull$hit. I would expect the company to replace it free of charge.
EVERTHING involved.

Dukesdad

Lugnut said:
Hey dukesdad, would you post all the details you have on the compressor? Make, model, suggested refrigerant, etc...

Replacing the compressor is a pretty straight forward job. Conect two refrigerant lines, 220VAC line, charge system, inspect for leaks.

You'll need a few hand tools, a gauge set, and the recommended refrigerant.

I did a quick search online for information on MY compressor unit and found the manuals and diagrams along with a bunch of sites with DIY info.

I'm kind of a DIY type O'Guy and enjoy tinkering. If you're the same, this job doesn't appear to be complex at all. There are a couple places right here in the county that you can pick up HVAC equipment, fasteners, tools, etc...
I have a friend that has the know how and the equipment. I know he is busy and would not take anything for doing the work. I'm more concerned with the new compressor being installed by a licensed person so I have a warrenty on it.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
DoWhat said:
That is bull$hit. I would expect the company to replace it free of charge.
EVERTHING involved.
And, whoever installed it, should get reimbursed from the manufacturer.

Koolman

Yea you're probably right,
What would I know, I only did it for 30 years.
Remember you are replacing the compressor not the whole outside condensing unit.
and remember the interior compressor has to be unhooked and removed from
the outside condensing unit first before you start this DIY install.

Remember Acetylene torches,
Vacuum pump, Freon.
You are not hooking up a 220 line, you are hooking up the wiring to the internal compressor, Common, Start, Run, to the appropriate terminals. and then silver soldering the refrigerant lines
to the compressor case with an acetylene torch, with out burning up the interior motor winding, then vacuum pump the system to clean the contaminants, then charge the system with Freon (10-20lbs.) depending on the tonnage and length of lines. Maybe you can reuse the refrigerant if it,s not contaminated by the compressor burn out. But if it,s contaminated you
will burn up the new compressor also.

And when you have to put another compressor on in six months it will have cost you double.

Good Luck!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Koolman said:
Remember you are replacing the compressor not the whole outside condensing unit.

Vacuum pump, Freon.
You are not hooking up a 220 line, you are hooking up the wiring to the internal compressor, Common, Start, Run, to the appropriate terminals. and then silver soldering the refrigerant lines
to the compressor case with an acetylene torch, with out burning up the interior motor winding, then vacuum pump the system to clean the contaminants, then charge the system with Freon (10-20lbs.) depending on the tonnage and length of lines. Maybe you can reuse the refrigerant if it,s not contaminated by the compressor burn out. But if it,s contaminated you

And when you have to put another compressor on in six months it will have cost you double.

Good Luck!
If it's a warranty item do you get reimbursed from the manufacture from the original compressor, for replacing it? That caused the problem in the first place.

Dukesdad

Koolman said:

Vacuum pump, Freon.

Good Luck!
No, you are probably right. When I lived in my old house, my friend and I installed the AC unit. I do not remember an inside compressor just the one in the outside unit. I do remember the lines going to the A coil inside the house. I do not do this for a living. If this is a valid justifiable cost, I will pay it. Just like I pay Bell motor to work on the wifes van or anything else I can't do. I'm not beyond saying I don't know WTF I am doing an pay a reasonable fee to have it done. Thanks for your input.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Koolman said:

Vacuum pump, Freon.

Good Luck!

Relax, Dukesdad asked for input and some of us are interested in the topic as well. You didn't qualify your post by mentioning your experience on the topic so there was no reason for anybody to acknowledge your original post as any more informed than any other post.

Now, that we know you have experience can you give more details on the steps involved in a job like this?

While I have silver solder and an oxy torch, I don't have a vacuum pump so it sounds like the most difficult task for a DIY type might be would be drawing a vacuum on the refrigerant lines. Is that correct?

When you say "Freon" are you using that as a generic term for refrigerant? Or do you mean actual Freon?

willie

This is not a DIY job unless you buy the good quality vacuum pump (not cheap) and have an acetylene torch that you know how to use. Renting the tools totally defeat the effort to save money. Silver soldering is not that easy for newbies. The current EPA rules on the refrigerant also adds time and labor to the job and that isn't gratis. The HVAC guy can justify his price a helluva lot better than the cable guy, the phone guy, the gas guy and a few others. Remember also, there won't be any warranty on anything when you finish.

Last edited:
W

Wenchy

duke'sdad said:

If mine was under warranty, I would be an even unhappier camper than I currently am.

3 days of this heat, and peri-menopause, I am ready to kill somebody.

I have a serviceman, but he's been so booked, that after spending 4 hours on mine Tuesday, he had to take care of other clients.

I won't be selling of my first born child, but I need to cool off. I don't care how much it costs...BUT if it was under warranty, and they wanted to charge me? OMG...I would probably be in jail.

So... here I sit, and sweat.

Good luck DD! Nice meeting you Monday!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Wenchy said:
If mine was under warranty, I would be an even unhappier camper than I currently am.

3 days of this heat, and peri-menopause, I am ready to kill somebody.

I have a serviceman, but he's been so booked, that after spending 4 hours on mine Tuesday, he had to take care of other clients.

I won't be selling of my first born child, but I need to cool off. I don't care how much it costs...BUT if it was under warranty, and they wanted to charge me? OMG...I would probably be in jail.

So... here I sit, and sweat.

Good luck DD! Nice meeting you Monday!
Buy a fan.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Pete said:
My place is 72
I'm in my doghouse/workshop and set on 76.....
The pups love it, and they pop their heads out the doggy door when I come home, then go back in. They also like the couch.

Oh, and the house is set to 72 too. Wife is happy, Happy Wife, Happy DoWhat.

Last edited: