Help me understand social security

C

czygvtwkr

Ok here is the deal. My mom just received her statement that says if she quits working now she will get $247 a month if she starts receiving benefits at 62. She was a stay at home mom for most of her years.

Just before my dad died he was declared disabled and was getting $1700 a month (he was 55).

The way I understand it my mom can draw on his benefits at age 60, at about 70% of his benefit. Does this also mean at age 62 she can start drawing her benefit of $247?

Am I on target or totally off base?

willie

czygvtwkr said:
Ok here is the deal. My mom just received her statement that says if she quits working now she will get $247 a month if she starts receiving benefits at 62. She was a stay at home mom for most of her years.

Just before my dad died he was declared disabled and was getting $1700 a month (he was 55).

The way I understand it my mom can draw on his benefits at age 60, at about 70% of his benefit. Does this also mean at age 62 she can start drawing her benefit of $247?

Am I on target or totally off base?
One or the other. Not both. The Survivors benefit is by far the way to go. The salary she gets from her job will affect the benefit amount.

C

czygvtwkr

Ok, is that 70% of his when she is 60 about accurate?

C

czygvtwkr

Thanks for the help.

I have always been a critic of social security but I have to say for my mom its a pretty good deal. Even my dad's benefit was a pleasant suprise.