Re-writing the First Amendment

K

Kain99

How did the First Amendment's original intent, ever turn into this Mess? Get over yourselves already people!

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Alabama Republican Gov. Bob Riley has incurred the wrath of ardent church-state separationists for offering early-morning bible study classes to his staff.

Read The Rest of The BS Here

The First Amendment states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

It is widely understood that the clear intent of the First Amendment was to protect a religious people from government, not to protect government from a religious people, OR that the clear intent of the First Amendment was only to prevent the establishment of a national church or religion.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"He is a political panhandler for public piety," said Larry Darby, Alabama state director of American Atheists. "He's using the machinery of government to promote the concept that God is necessary in government. It's not."
It's kind of embarrassing being an atheist. People always think you're a nut like this guy.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by bluto
I was very uncomfortable with our mortgage lender because he was a big old Flanders and I was living in sin. I was wondering if I was going to be secretly penalized for not being right with the Lord in his eyes.

To be perfectly honest the ignorance flies both ways. You've got your judgemental, nasty, hateful Christians.... then you've got your mind bending, leftist Atheists.

Don't be embarrassed Vrai - people think "all Christians" are Lunatics like Benny Hinn.

It sure would be nice, if both sides could just get their act together.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People are naturally going to be drawn to others like them and that share their interests. If the Governor was into flyfishing, he'd probably favor those who do it too over someone who doesn't.

Flanders stood to make money from your home loan so he should have more worried that you'd penalize him for HIS beliefs, not the other way around. I think people should keep work and private life separate.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by vraiblonde
People are naturally going to be drawn to others like them

I don't agree.....I'm naturally attracted to a nice rack and I don't have one. :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree, but you could sense the mood in the room change when I told him we weren't married.
Gosh, too bad he didn't penalize you or you could have sued his company for discrimination and never had to worry about a mortgage payment again! Woo hoo!
:getdown:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by kwillia
Here is a lovely rack made of cedar.....

shoedini_1731_4669750

Interesting concept, but the splinters would be annoying.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by kwillia
You make that sound like a bad thing... I myself have a fondness for wood. :bubble:

It seems to me it is much better to give than to receive.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by justhangn
It seems to me it is much better to give than to receive.

Wow! I can think of 10 different ways to take that! :getdown:

MDindef

Well I gotta say that I don't like this guy promoting Bible study to his staff. You know he will look favorably upon the people who attend and denigrate those who don't. Why increase the cronyism that already exists in government?

I'm suppose "crony-ism" can affect any group of people. But I would say the vast majority affects people in a different way than you suggest. For instance, I don't go drinking with my friends, I don't go out to the smoke area, and I don't send and receive dirty e-mails. (And I don't act superior, either.) Do you think I will ever get invited into the "inner circle?" What's your guess?

I know what my prediction is.