Is it just me...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Or does it take Southern Maryland twice as long as anywhere else to do any construction in the area.

I'm not just talking about 235 either...

I'm talking about the Lusby town square... in which not a single bulldozer has moved since I moved here 8 months ago...

Not to mention the area by Cove Point park on Cove Point Road... They completely wasted several acres of wooded land right after I moved here... and then nothing since they made a couple big dirt piles.

I'm sure there's other areas I can't think of off the top of my head.

SmallTown

Football season!
Construction here does move rather slow. Especially considering the terrain here is pretty much level, you wouldn't think there would be a lot to it.

As for springfield, that place is a mess. By the time they finish they will need to do more to it...
"To improve traffic flow, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is preparing to rebuild the interchange making it safer for commuters and long-distance travelers. The improvement project will take up to 8 years to complete.
The project consists of building more than 50 bridges and widening I-95 to 24 lanes between the Beltway and Franconia Road."

50 bridges and 24 lanes for a piece of 95??? I guess when you put it that way, maybe 8 years isn't so bad, considering it has taken what, 3 or 4 years to add 4 lanes with no bridges on 235...

SmallTown

Football season!
Before:
phase7baa.jpg

After:
phase2baa.jpg

Would hate to be the engineers working on that project!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by willie
The mixing bowl in Northern Virginia holds the worlds record for slooooow.

I'm not sure if they're considered the same "area", but I went to Manassas a couple of months ago, and BOY was it slow there! I mean SSLLLOOOWWW!!

But then again, I failed to realize that nothing's as slow as Manassas in January!!!
:biggrin:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth14
Not to mention the area by Cove Point park on Cove Point Road... They completely wasted several acres of wooded land right after I moved here... and then nothing since they made a couple big dirt piles.
That wasted area is going to be ballfields. :lol:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by willie
The mixing bowl in Northern Virginia holds the worlds record for slooooow.
I think the "Big Dig" in Boston has to be one of the slowest projects of all time. It has been ongoing since 1991 on a continuous basis.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: Is it just me...

Originally posted by Sharon
That wasted area is going to be ballfields. :lol:

You've got to be kidding!
Couldn't they put some ballfields where there's already no trees?
:sad:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Is it just me...

Originally posted by sleuth14

Couldn't they put some ballfields where there's already no trees?
:sad:
It is a park and most of it is wooded except for the fields. Where would you suggest they put fields that doesn't already have trees? Have you ever been back there? It's a nice place.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Ken King
I think the "Big Dig" in Boston has to be one of the slowest projects of all time. It has been ongoing since 1991 on a continuous basis.

Haven't heard about that one, but what about I-64 around the newport news area heading towards virginia beach?? I've been traveling that piece for at least 6 years and I don't see ANY changes in the construction area. I have no idea what the heck they are trying to do there.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ken King
:yeahthat: Ken, you beat me to it. I was in Boston a couple of years ago and it was a mess. Scary to walk even near that mess, especially after dark.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it just me...

Originally posted by Sharon
It is a park and most of it is wooded except for the fields. Where would you suggest they put fields that doesn't already have trees? Have you ever been back there? It's a nice place.

Nope... never been back there. Been meaning to check it out.
You know, if they want to make it a recreation type thing, I hope they put in a baseball field. There are no options at all for the 18-27 year olds to play around here. Recently the Southern MD Mens Senior Baseball League scrapped that division for 2003.

A YMCA or something would be nice, too.