Auto/motorcycle insurance rates?

Ponytail

Was wondering how the insurance rates in So.MD compared to here.

Right now for full coverage on a Jeep, and a Harley, I'm paying approx $1,000 a year for both.

TIA

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Hi PT,

My husband has two bikes and they were both covered under the Harley-Davidson insurance. But, we recevied a cancellation notice last week, that they will no longer be covering in the state of MD and offered up an alternative policy through Foremost Insurance for $683.00 for both. He also checked with Geico and they quoted him $577. Best advice is to shop around.

A

angelphish

I was shocked at the difference in premiums when I moved from the state of misery (missouri) to maryland.
Back home we paid around $1000/year for one car and one truck. Out here we pay around $1500/year and that was after shopping around. We finally went with Geico.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Shop Around

I recently moved to Southern MD from Western Md. My rates went up. The insurance company couldn't explain it, I thought a rural area should be cheaper, but they said maybe it was because there were more accidents involving deer.
Ask your insurance company if they cover down here, if they do and you stick with them, you may be eligable for a long-term customer discount. I found that GEICO offers the best rates for perfect drivers but raise their rates more for less than perfect drivers. Try Progressive, they really will give you rates of other companies, but not necessarily the most competitive companies.
Every insurance company will give quotes online now so surf the net.

K

Katie

My rates when down when I moved from Mass. I did pay 1400 a year for a full coverage car. Now I only pay 800.00 a year.

SxyPrincess

I've been using Nationwide for almost 10 years and haven't a blemish on my driving record. I looked into Progressive a few years back, and they wanted double what Nationwide charged me.

I've never had a problem with them and I can only say the best of things about them.

Ponytail

Kinda the same story here. I've been with State Farm for 16 years, no blemishes, and I get several different discounts from them.

I almost bought a Corvette last year, and priced insurance for it first, thinking that it would be outrageous...it was only an additional $100/month.

I turned down the Vette though. Someday...Some DAY!! :biggrin:

Pete

Repete
I had State Farm too for years. I would periodically check others and they would always be higher. A buddy told me to check USAA, so I did. Saved me $255 a year. I am pretty sure my ins will go up when I move to MD from ME, but I hope not too much.

Ponytail

Originally posted by dpete2q
I had State Farm too for years. I would periodically check others and they would always be higher. A buddy told me to check USAA, so I did. Saved me $255 a year. I am pretty sure my ins will go up when I move to MD from ME, but I hope not too much.

I have a buddy that is determined to buy a house in ME, and retire there. He loves the cold. I was up there with him in July looking at land, and I was cold THEN! It was interesting to say the least. I had never been groped by an Indian woman before that weekend. :yikes: Seems we wandered to close to the reservation.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Ponytail
I have a buddy that is determined to buy a house in ME, and retire there. He loves the cold. I was up there with him in July looking at land, and I was cold THEN! It was interesting to say the least. I had never been groped by an Indian woman before that weekend. :yikes: Seems we wandered to close to the reservation.

He can have my spot. It's too cold and depressing here.

willie

Originally posted by Ponytail
Kinda the same story here. I've been with State Farm for 16 years, no blemishes, and I get several different discounts from them.

I almost bought a Corvette last year, and priced insurance for it first, thinking that it would be outrageous...it was only an additional $100/month.

I turned down the Vette though. Someday...Some DAY!! :biggrin:

My '02 Vette is $208 per year more than the '99 Sierra with Nationwide. I made a big savings switching from Allstate.

K

Kizzy

I am suprised I haven't heard anyone mention Erie yet. I have had Erie Insurance for years, and nobody can beat the price.

Cabbage

We swear by State Farm

State Farm takes great care of us. We moved here from Florida, and after seeing insurance companies fold after the hurricanes, we were glad to be with such a solid company. We've been with them for 20+ years, and have several policies with them other than just auto.

When our sons started driving at age 16, we shopped around, and couldn't beat State Farm.

When you're looking for insurance, you must keep in mind that cost isn't the only consideration. What's important is that when you need to use your coverage , that you are pleased with the quality and compensation, and that you have a first class legal department working for you if need be.

Ponytail

That's primarily why I have stuck with State Farm for as long as I have. I could have gone cheaper a long time ago, but they have taken pretty good care of me over the years.

I was really just trying to get an idea on what kind of rates I can expect in that area. Doesn't sound like it will be much different than here.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by IM4Change
I am suprised I haven't heard anyone mention Erie yet. I have had Erie Insurance for years, and nobody can beat the price.

I saw this thread too late so you beat me to it!

We have Erie and it was MUCH cheaper than Geico that we had before. They are also a year earlier than most other insurances in terms of the age where premiums drop.

When we moved from Va to Maryland, our premiums almost doubled. They just said maryland had a higher rate of loss.