Dsl

dmbme

Does anybody know if or when DSL is coming to this area?
Perhaps, the Lexington Park area. We try to get it but alas we don't get in this area.

Thank you to all who responded to my question about local phone service. It was helpful. :smile:

Jameo

What?!
I have DSL @ home (I live in Hollywood) through Verizon. We have never had any problems with them. Don't see why they would not offer it in Lexington Park. Call them and check it out.

:cheers:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I have DSL through Earthlink and love it. Live in Lex Park. Verizon's website said it was unavailable for me, but Earthlink's said it was.

Recommend checking http://www.dsl.com for availability.

If you sign up for both Earthlink and Dish network you get a $5 discount @ month on both for 2 years.

Jameo

What?!
Originally posted by kwillia
But I live in Leonardtown and they said I was in the service area and they sent the connection equipment and when it didn't work they checked things out and said I was about a hundred feet beyond the service area... :burning: I had to mail it all back!

:shocked: WOW! I live way off the beating path, the cable company won't even run cable to my house and we can get DSL, huh?

So how does DSL work? I know it uses a phone line. But what about their service area? If you have a phone line, why can't you get a DSL service?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Your home has to be within approximately 2 miles of a central office (place where they house the equipment). Even then, it is subject to line conditions. Furthermore, the equipment at the office must be outfitted to support DSL.

Verizon is a monopoly. They have little incentive to install this service in a low density area like this.

When you see someone other than Verizon offering DSL (Earthlink, DirecTV), it is still being provided by Verizon. They own the wires to your house. The telecommunications act of 199x requires the local telcos to lease certain facilities to other companies so that they can provide service to you (in the interest of fostering competition). The local telcos have been using their using their massive resources (read "your monthly payments") to have the laws changed so that they no longer have to do this, i.e. scratch what little competition there was. Some law was just passed/changed in their favor, but I can't recall the details. They promised that they would expedite their build-out of internet services, especially in rural areas, if they didn't have to worry about any competition. :liar:

fuzzyng

We use Verizon DSL at work, and thats like just off Leonardtown Square, down back from the Courthouse.

Me and a friend, like years ago, had the idea of starting an ISP in the area and it would of provided dial-in, cable, and net access... wish we had stuck to it...