A Trivia Question

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Who is the rocker that actually played a solo on a chainsaw in one of his shows?

I've been trying to remember this fellow's name and can't.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Railroad said:
Who is the rocker that actually played a solo on a chainsaw in one of his shows?

Ted Nugent?

greyhound

Railroad said:

Jesse James Dupree, of Jackyl.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Dutch6 said:
Ted Nugent?

I've been wanting to say Ted Nugent but I'm not sure. As far as Mr. Dupreee of Jackyl is concerned, I'm guessing that Jackyl is after the timeframe I'm thinking of (late 1980's).

greyhound

Railroad said:
I've been wanting to say Ted Nugent but I'm not sure. As far as Mr. Dupreee of Jackyl is concerned, I'm guessing that Jackyl is after the timeframe I'm thinking of (late 1980's).

Jackyl is from the late 1980's and the chainsaw thing is his "claim to fame"

Edit: I just checked the web site, they formed in 1991.

http://www.jackyl.com/photos/photos.htm

Last edited:

gwa

greyhound said:

I'm a lumber jack baby. I ain't jacked my lumber baby since my chain saw you.

They set the stage as opening act for the first commercialized woodstock in the early 90's.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The late Wendy O. Williams used to saw a guitar in half during Plasmatics shows.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
greyhound said:

Yup, I think Ted Nugent (or whoever it was) did the Chain Saw thing in 88/89/90 timeframe, in a live performance that was recorded and later released in an album. The story was that he spent big bucks to have it specially tuned for the performance. The solo was very well done (I can hear it now), so well that you could almost play it on guitar - but that would lose the effect of course.

I was thinking Ted Nugent, Ozzy Osbourne, or...????...a contemporary of theirs.

OdinsCourt

Eddie Van Halen did something similar with a drill in 1991 on "Poundcake".

But the chainsaw bit was the thing Jackyl was know for. Ted did a lot of crazy stuff, but I don't remember hearing about a chainsaw with him...

greyhound

OdinsCourt said:

But the chainsaw bit was the thing Jackyl was know for. Ted did a lot of crazy stuff, but I don't remember hearing about a chainsaw with him...

Eddie Van Halen could play and make it sound like a chain saw.

greyhound

OdinsCourt said:

OdinsCourt...I was looking at your website and The songlist. You have a song called "Manifest Destiny". That bring back memories of high school. There was a band by the name "Manifest Destiny".

Sorry to ramble...I was just remembering high school days.

OdinsCourt

Hey, no problem. Glad to know someone checked out the website. Did you see the video clips? We actually have a short clip from our DVD of that song.

Where did you go to high school? A google on that band name brings up a whole slew of stuff.

JustynSayneBand

Chainsaw Rocker...

Hello Everyone,

The rocker your seeking is in fact Jesse James Dupree of Jackyl. Awesome band, funny songs, especially "Redneck Punk". I saw them several years ago in concert and it was and awesome show, I always assumed that the chinsaw heard on the album was dubbed in by speacial effects, but, it is the real deal, Jesse cut up all kinds of stuff on stage with the chainsaw, and the solos and everything are true to life. I know there was confusion by some as to who it was, and I just wanted to make the truth known. Ted Nugent on the other hand is a wild act too, saw him years ago with Damn Yankees, he put on a show all by himself, and shot up all kinds of stuff on the stage with his Zebra compund bow, mans a good shot. Now, if Ted shot and arrow at Jesse, could Jesse cut it in half in mid-flight? LOL

Thanks, Dwight
www.justynsayne.com